Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · Mamiya 645 lenses

H.Lux
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Mamiya 645 lenses

One macro with the 120/4 @5D2

Ans one with the 35N on Mirex T/S

Enjoy

Jul 19, 2013 at 07:50 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · Mamiya 645 lenses

bluerunner wrote:
^^^ Nice shots too! I believe your shots are a bit sharper than mine. I had the hue cranked up +2 on my D70 as recommended by kenrockwell, which could explain the more vibrant colors on my pictures. Looking forward to shooting more this weekend. Thanks again for the heads up on the KEH bargain lens which turns out to be quite nice!

Thanks! I think the differences are probably more camera and post-processing related than anything to do with the lens. It sounds like you're shooting jpegs on a Nikon, where mine are RAW from an a99 with a neutral color profile applied and then adjusted to my preference and given a low amount of sharpening in the downsizing routine. The lens is a breeze to focus with the a99's EVF, so I don't envy you trying to focus on the D70's OVF.

Jul 19, 2013 at 03:37 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · Mamiya 645 lenses

Now I'm missing my 35/3.5 N (sold to Yakim, RIP & "Happy Shooting") and am reminded I still need to pick up a Mirex.

Very nicely done.
Diggin' those transitions .. who says you always need maximum micro-contrast to produce excellent imagery.

H.Lux wrote:
Ans one with the 35N on Mirex T/S
http://www.stadtflaneur.de/konstanz/hafen.jpg

Jul 19, 2013 at 05:03 PM
H.Lux
• •
p.3 #4 · Mamiya 645 lenses

RustyBug wrote:
Diggin' those transitions .. who says you always need maximum micro-contrast to produce excellent imagery.

Yes your perfectly right. I think, it's the landscape photographers who shoot certain scenes like mountains with rocks or rural scenes of agricultural land use with their fine structures who are addicted to the microcontrast of Zeiss lenses.

Jul 19, 2013 at 05:49 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · Mamiya 645 lenses

That's why I own BOTH my M645 glass and Zeiss glass (plus a few others) ... drawing style ... depending on subject/desired rendering will dictate which one I pull out of (or put into) my bag.

To me, my M645 glass has the ability to be both "smooth" and "sharp" simultaneously without being overtly high/micro contrast. I think of it as "very neutral" with lots of range to be harnessed serenely in post. More of a "lovely" or "relaxed" vibe than the "in your face" kinda thing.

Maybe its like getting hit with a ton of feathers instead of a ton of bricks. Even though they both still weigh a ton, one just seems more pleasant.

Jul 19, 2013 at 07:45 PM
bluerunner

p.3 #6 · Mamiya 645 lenses

H.Lux- Love your macro and the T/S shots. I love the M645 lenses but manual focusing with a very shallow DOF can challenging.

frealikeme- yes I have been shooting jpegs, again as suggested by kenrockwell. He also suggested shooting in normal size, not fine. But that kinda limit cropping the image later on.

RustyBug- Very well said! I started out experimenting with takumars, vivitars, sears, olympus zuikos, and minota's rokkors but there is something magic about these m645 glass. Something aestetically pleasing to the eyes.

Jul 19, 2013 at 08:18 PM
jamesdak
• • •
p.3 #7 · Mamiya 645 lenses

bluerunner wrote:
RustyBug- Very well said! I started out experimenting with takumars, vivitars, sears, olympus zuikos, and minota's rokkors but there is something magic about these m645 glass. Something aestetically pleasing to the eyes.

Yep, I agree. Sometimes it just as simple as what a certain lens lends to a certain scene

Like this simple shot taken with my Mamiya 200/2.8 APO on my Canon 5D:

Jul 19, 2013 at 09:30 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · Mamiya 645 lenses

bluerunner wrote:
frealikeme- yes I have been shooting jpegs, again as suggested by kenrockwell. He also suggested shooting in normal size, not fine. But that kinda limit cropping the image later on.

Nothing wrong with that as long as you're happy with the results.

Jul 20, 2013 at 01:53 AM
bluerunner

p.3 #9 · Mamiya 645 lenses

jamesdak- Very nice! Awesome reflections!

freaklikeme- Agree. kenrockwell has helped me alot to understand digital photography.

Jul 20, 2013 at 02:41 AM
wilco23
• •
p.3 #10 · Mamiya 645 lenses

Here are some shots with Mamiya 120/4

Edited on Jul 22, 2013 at 01:04 AM · View previous versions

Jul 21, 2013 at 07:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · Mamiya 645 lenses

Threw a little PP @ it for some comparison at how the files have much latitude that they can tolerate PP well.

Edited on Jul 21, 2013 at 09:13 PM · View previous versions

Jul 21, 2013 at 09:07 PM
H.Lux
• •
p.3 #12 · Mamiya 645 lenses

Excellent!

Jul 21, 2013 at 09:09 PM
SoulNibbler
• •
p.3 #13 · Mamiya 645 lenses

A recent shot with the 300mm f5.6 ULD

Tilted naturally.

Jul 21, 2013 at 09:55 PM
inglis
• •
p.3 #14 · Mamiya 645 lenses

nice straights and curves SoulNibbler

Jul 21, 2013 at 10:23 PM
bluerunner

p.3 #15 · Mamiya 645 lenses

wilco23- thanks for the test shots.
RustyBug- Good work!
SoulNibbler- Awesome! Guess you have convinced me I need to get the Mirex.

Jul 22, 2013 at 12:31 AM
bluerunner

p.3 #16 · Mamiya 645 lenses

Went to the coast and took some test pictures with my 45mm f2.8 lens on a Canon 5D. Hand-held, no post-processing. Please give me your assessment on this lens. Personally I am disappointed with this lens - it is not very sharp, and it has CA as in this first picture (top left corner,the trees):

A close-up:

This picture taken with a 210mm f4 N lens on a Nikon D70:

Please critique, good or bad. Thanks.

Jul 22, 2013 at 03:44 AM
SoulNibbler
• •
p.3 #17 · Mamiya 645 lenses

Bluerunner,
I mentioned in my post that I find the 55mm more crunchy than the 45mm. The 45mm really requires post sharpening. The good news is that it handles it well. As a jpeg shooter I'm not really sure what to recommend to you, because sharpening can be so nasty if done wrong. Anyway here are some samples from the first day I had the lens (45mm) but with post processing.
B&W is excellent:

but as you can sort of see not the sharpest tool in the box.
CA is a real issue though I don't usually find it to be a problem at this focal length.

Though, from my friends I hear that the 45mm is really one of their favorite lenses to have their picture taken with; as it is rather flattering.

On the 210mm: I've handled a couple in the shop and always wanted to walk out with it but it has a soso reputation. Every version I've used however has a very snappy feel. Your pelican image reflects this.

Jul 23, 2013 at 07:59 AM
SoulNibbler
• •
p.3 #18 · Mamiya 645 lenses

bluerunner wrote:
Went to the coast and took some test pictures with my 45mm f2.8 lens on a Canon 5D. Hand-held, no post-processing. Please give me your assessment on this lens. Personally I am disappointed with this lens - it is not very sharp, and it has CA as in this first picture (top left corner,the trees):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/simonfx/p4.jpg

This picture taken with a 210mm f4 N lens on a Nikon D70:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/simonfx/p1.jpg

Please critique, good or bad. Thanks.

On the first picture I really wish there was more exposure left in the sky.

On the second: I think the light is very cool and that brings out the bird nicely and gives a bit of a halo effect. However I think the camera position is wrong to make the shot work because the transition from sun to shadow is visible in the image without an apparent purpose. I have a feeling a wide format crop might help the presentation, but it may also exacerbate the problem. Remember to try to use all of the frame for something; this shot feels a bit overly focused on the bird.

Jul 23, 2013 at 08:07 AM
bluerunner

p.3 #19 · Mamiya 645 lenses

SoulNibbler- Nice shots with your 45mm. Do you have any shots with your 55mm for comparisons?

Many thanks for your candid comments on my test shots. That is exactly what I was looking for! Actually it is comforting to know it is the operator's shortcomings, and not the lens' fault.

EDIT: Oops! I went back to your earlier posts and saw you already have posted a couple of nice 55mm shots. Thanks.

Edited on Jul 23, 2013 at 09:28 PM · View previous versions

Jul 23, 2013 at 05:46 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.3 #20 · Mamiya 645 lenses

Another aspect to consider is that in the shots of the wall, it looks like you are using indirect light (i.e. softer/flatter). Might not be the best image to judge the sharpness of your lens by.

A little bit of color balance and some light sharpening to help offset the softer/bluer indirect lighting.

I've heard that the 45 isn't as good as others like the 55, but I have no complaints with mine. The M645 lenses in general can tolerate a different bit of PP than one may be accustomed to using as they project over their larger image circle. So don't expect them to be at their peak with the same processing you apply to a smaller image circle projecting lens. You may need to play a little to dial in your sharpening a bit differently ... but the files play very nicely.

Edited on Jul 23, 2013 at 06:52 PM · View previous versions

Jul 23, 2013 at 05:50 PM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password