Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · Mamiya 645 lenses

freaklikeme
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Mamiya 645 lenses

jcolwell wrote:
I think the non-APO M645 "A" lenses are achromatic, meaning two different light frequencies are brought into sharp focus at the image plane, while "APO" provides sharp focus for three different frequencies. Both types of optical performance require 'special' glass, hence the "A", but some are much more gooder than others.

Much more gooder and much more harder to find(er?) these days, unless you're willing to pay silly prices.

Jul 16, 2013 at 05:29 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Mamiya 645 lenses

bluerunner wrote:
I have to admit I am quite new to all this and don't have alot of knowledge in DSLRs, lenses, and photography in general. I'm just trying out different things/lenses, and that's how it got me to this "Alternative Gear and Lenses" forum. Pardon me if I may ask- what are the advantages of using a medium format lens over standard lens? How do they compare to say pentax takumars, olympus zuikos, minolta's rokkor lenses on a dslr, APS-C and full frame? I have heard these are pretty sharp lenses too. Thanks.

They're easy to adapt and there's some really interesting and unique glass. But, as with the smaller format, there's also some merely competent to poor performers that aren't worth their bulk over a lens designed for the smaller format. Using the larger image circle for tilt/shift solutions like Mirex is a big draw for some. It's doubtful you'll see vignetting from any of them. SLR lenses can be trickier to adapt depending on the mounts you're trying to mate and some entire lines, like Minolta MC/MD or Canon FD, require somewhat simple to highly complex conversions if they're possible at all. As long as you stick with completely manual lenses and/or AF lenses with manual apertures, there's probably a way to get an MF lens on your DSLR.

Jul 16, 2013 at 06:12 AM
bluerunner

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Mamiya 645 lenses

Thanks for the explanation freaklikeme. One other question- how come I can only use the Manual mode (and not aperture mode) to shoot with these lenses on my d40x and d70? Are there adapters out there which will allow me to use aperture mode? Thanks.

Jul 16, 2013 at 12:08 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Mamiya 645 lenses

jcolwell wrote:
I think the non-APO M645 "A" lenses are achromatic, meaning two different light frequencies are brought into sharp focus at the image plane, while "APO" provides sharp focus for three different frequencies. Both types of optical performance require 'special' glass, hence the "A", but some are much more gooder than others.

I think even the cheapest Mamiya 645 lens is achromatic. I'm no expert at lens design (so I could be wrong), but I think that all photograpic lens designs aim to be at least achromatic. The classical achromat doublet uses two glass types with different refractive indices to bring two wavelengths into common focus. I think the A lenses improve on this by using anomalous dispersion glass (as freaklikeme suggested), bringing a third wavelenght in focus. Perhaps the reason why the 200, 300 and 500 mm lenses are labeled APO is simply that it's easier to achieve apochromatism for these longer focal lengths than for the shorter ones (150 and 120 mm).

Jul 16, 2013 at 12:18 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Mamiya 645 lenses

jcolwell wrote:

AhamB wrote:
I think even the cheapest Mamiya 645 lens is achromatic. I'm no expert at lens design (so I could be wrong), but I think that all photograpic lens designs aim to be at least achromatic. The classical achromat doublet uses two glass types with different refractive indices to bring two wavelengths into common focus. I think the A lenses improve on this by using anomalous dispersion glass (as freaklikeme suggested), bringing a third wavelenght in focus. Perhaps the reason why the 200, 300 and 500 mm lenses are labeled APO is simply that it's easier to achieve apochromatism for these
...Show more

That makes sense.

Don't forget about the Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 Apo-Lanthar. I haven't had the pleasure of owning one (yet), but it has an excellent reputation.

Jul 16, 2013 at 01:53 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Mamiya 645 lenses

bluerunner wrote:
Thanks for the explanation freaklikeme. One other question- how come I can only use the Manual mode (and not aperture mode) to shoot with these lenses on my d40x and d70? Are there adapters out there which will allow me to use aperture mode? Thanks.

Sure thing, and we have now hit the limits of my experience, since I've only used the D700 for a brief time and with nothing but Nikon lenses. You might want to ask this question in our Nikon manual-focus lens refugee thread. I'm sure someone there will know.

Jul 16, 2013 at 06:12 PM
bluerunner

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Mamiya 645 lenses

JohnJ wrote:
Well, you've come to the right place.

I think that's been discussed to death in a recent thread. Here you go:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1223619

JohnJ- Many thanks for the link.

freaklikeme- I am looking for a snap-on cap for the 120 - what filter size should I order? Thanks.

Jul 17, 2013 at 02:07 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Mamiya 645 lenses

bluerunner wrote:
freaklikeme- I am looking for a snap-on cap for the 120 - what filter size should I order? Thanks.

67mm.

Jul 17, 2013 at 02:13 AM
buggz2k
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Mamiya 645 lenses

I love the ones I have, although, none of them are on your list.
- 35/3.5 N
- 80/1.9 N
- 120/4 macro
- 145/4 soft focus

Jul 17, 2013 at 07:27 PM
JohnJ
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Mamiya 645 lenses

My idea of a 'walkaround' lens is the 35/3.5 N with a Mirex. It's quite nice indeed.

Since this thread hasn't quite died I might as well say what I should have before (although I've said it in similar threads). As far as I'm concerned the Mamiya glass is nothing special, although many of the lenses are indeed very nice, but it's the Mirex adapter that draws me to them. I think the OP's next Mamiya purchase should be a Mirex tilt/shift rather than any lens! The functionality and control t/s gives you far exceeds any specific optical quality and is the reason I tend to leave my Contax and Leica gear at home and use the 'inferior' Mamiya glass instead.

Jul 17, 2013 at 07:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

H.Lux
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Mamiya 645 lenses

JohnJ wrote:
My idea of a 'walkaround' lens is the 35/3.5 N with a Mirex. It's quite nice indeed.

Since this thread hasn't quite died I might as well say what I should have before (although I've said it in similar threads). As far as I'm concerned the Mamiya glass is nothing special, although many of the lenses are indeed very nice, but it's the Mirex adapter that draws me to them. I think the OP's next Mamiya purchase should be a Mirex tilt/shift rather than any lens! The functionality and control t/s gives you far exceeds any specific optical quality and is
...Show more

I can support this regarding both the 35/3.5N and the Mirex. But I found the 120/4 Macro to be very special, a long time being my favourite lens when I had the 5D2.

Jul 17, 2013 at 10:15 PM
bluerunner

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Mamiya 645 lenses

Anyone here has experience with the 300mm f5.6? Or should I get a Mamiya A 300/2.8 APO? which is alot more expensive. I am looking for a longer focal length to shoot wildlife. Thanks.

Jul 18, 2013 at 04:53 AM
phuang3
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Mamiya 645 lenses

The 35/3.5N has quite strong image curvature toward the edge. When shifted with Mirex adapter, it is advised to focus again.

Jul 18, 2013 at 05:19 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Mamiya 645 lenses

bluerunner wrote:
Anyone here has experience with the 300mm f5.6? Or should I get a Mamiya A 300/2.8 APO? which is alot more expensive. I am looking for a longer focal length to shoot wildlife. Thanks.

You know, the Nikon AIS 300/2.8 can usually be had for a little over or under a grand depending on condition, is light enough to handhold, will easily mount or adapt to all of your DSLRs, and is very well corrected thanks to its ED glass. I'd go with that before looking at a slow MF lens. The APO 300/2.8's probably a different story, but you pretty much have to be willing to pay for it to find out.

Jul 18, 2013 at 05:30 AM
H.Lux
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Mamiya 645 lenses

bluerunner wrote:
How do they compare to say pentax takumars, olympus zuikos, minolta's rokkor lenses on a dslr, APS-C and full frame? I have heard these are pretty sharp lenses too. Thanks.

Maybe, this helps partly: I used to adapt the Mamiya A120/4 on a Canon FF camera. Compared to the 120/4 Macro on my Pentax 645D, the Mamiya seems to shine everywhere with its "smooth imaging", be it landscape, macro, portraiture. The Pentax is sharp to death and therefore portraits look less pleasant than say with the 150/2.8.

I recently compared diferent alt lenses on the NEX as I recommended the NEX-6 to a friend who was then in search of a tele. Candidates were the Leica 180/2.8, the Pentax M42 Takumar 300/4, the Pentax 645 300/5.6 and the Sony 55-200. We pointed from tripod to white flowers, and estimated the "tonal resolution (white on white, difficult) and the spatial resolution (fine structures). The Leica won, second the Takumar (which delivers beautiful colors), third the 645 300/5.6 and fourth the Sony zoom. If I had to buy one lens, I would consider the first two, the 645 300 being no slouch.

HTH (?)

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:37 AM
SoulNibbler
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Mamiya 645 lenses

On the 300mm f5.6 ULD, I got one recently and I think its pretty nice though nailing focus can be a little tough.

I 3rd the others about the mirex though. It will let you do really neat things like this:

(300mm)
or this:

(55mm)
or this:

(55mm)
or this:

(80mm macro)
or this:

(120mm)

As far as lenses, I have the 35mm N, a 45mm N, a 55mm N, a 80mm macro N, a 80mm f1.9N, a 120mm macro N, and the 300mm ULD 5.6.
The 35mm is pretty special at least to my eyes,
between the 45mm and the 55mm I prefer the 55 as its rendering is snappier and its far smaller than the 45mm. If you had to have just one 80mm I'd say the f1.9 would be the choice, its very crisp wide open but the backgrounds get a bit wonky with a kinda onion ring effect. Its visible in the car interior on the stem of the rear view mirror, I really like the macro though and with tilt you can do really silly things with the DOF but f4 requires decent light. The 120mm just feels great in hand and makes awesome pictures, I'm just not really sold on the focal length. The 300mm is nice and sharp and contrasty, though evidently its worthwhile to find an ULD version. I doubt its that much better than a "nice" native 70-300mm though but I haven't compared it except in size where the mamiya is longer but narrower than most 35mm 70-300mm zooms.

Anyway long story longer my buy order for you would be:
mirex (~500USD when all is said and done or 430)
35mm N
55mm N

Edited on Jul 19, 2013 at 11:58 AM · View previous versions

Jul 18, 2013 at 11:21 AM
bluerunner

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Mamiya 645 lenses

freaklikeme, H.Lux, SoulNibbler- Thanks for your recommendations. Will definitely look into shift/tilt using mirex as I learn more about photography.

Meanwhile, my A120mm macro lens has arrived. I want to really commend KEH Camera for their superfast shipping and quality service! The lens appears to be in very good condition even though it was sold as bargain.

Here is a couple of test shots with the A 120 earlier today. All taken with a Nikon D70, hand-held, no post-processing. Let me know what you think.

The test subject at f8, 1/160:

Close-up at f4, 1/80:

Jul 18, 2013 at 11:28 PM
bluerunner

p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Mamiya 645 lenses

Now comparing with my other lens, a 105-210mm f5.6 ULD, at f8:

Jul 18, 2013 at 11:31 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Mamiya 645 lenses

^^^Nice. Looks like it worked out very well.

Mine came today as well. It'll be fun to see what it can do outside of my backyard, but that will have to wait for the weekend.

First is 1:1 at f/5.6, last two are wide open. It's not as blisteringly sharp as my Elmarit-R 100 APO or as the ZF MP 100s I've used, but it's sharp enough and the low contrast wide open, I think, makes for easy B&W conversions. I am very impressed with how well corrected it seems to be, through these weren't the most challenging conditions.

Jul 19, 2013 at 03:46 AM
bluerunner

p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Mamiya 645 lenses

^^^ Nice shots too! I believe your shots are a bit sharper than mine. I had the hue cranked up +2 on my D70 as recommended by kenrockwell, which could explain the more vibrant colors on my pictures. Looking forward to shooting more this weekend. Thanks again for the heads up on the KEH bargain lens which turns out to be quite nice!

Jul 19, 2013 at 04:33 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password