Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · City Park Wedding

openedeyes
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · City Park Wedding

This is my first time posting wedding pictures on FM. I've been lurking for a while now, but I realized I needed to just stop being afraid, post some images, get some (gentle) feedback, and focus on improving my craft.

Here are a couple from my latest wedding. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Jul 14, 2013 at 04:53 PM
openedeyes
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · City Park Wedding

Yeah. There's only 5. I'm already hyperventilating, so I think I'll ease my way to posting a full wedding critique, haha. Thanks in advance for your awesome insights!

Jul 14, 2013 at 04:54 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · City Park Wedding

Welcome to FM! I'm pretty sure I've learned 95% of what I know here on the wedding forum, so I'd say you're in a great place! Grow some tough skin, and keep posting

1. Great composition and pose here. The location and light also look good. So with all of that in place, why ruin it with an instagram blur effect? Let your lens's natural bokeh do the blurring, and leave the cheesy effects to the teeny-boppers on iPhones. The couple here looks to be a little on the cooler side of things, and if it were me I'd warm up the white balance and bump the exposure up just a bit.

2. Nice solid shot. Great job finding soft open shade in such a spotty location. The composition here isn't bad - it follows all the "correct" rules, but I think it would be much stronger if you shot from either 3 feet higher or 3 feet lower. The background here is a bit too distracting I think, so I would've backed up some and used your 70-200's natural compression and bokeh to smooth it out a bit. Many people only turn to their telephotos when the want to get in close - but often times a "wider" full-body shot will look very cool and unique with the compression of a long lens.

3. Clearly the shoes are unique to this bride, so great job making sure you got a photo of them. Funky blurring in #1 aside, I think this is your weakest photo of the set. It's well done for what it is, but if you look around at the best of the best photographers, you won't see any shots like this. People just starting out with their minty-fresh Facebook pages? There will be a ton of these shots. I would look for a more creative way to try and incorporate her shoes into a photo.

4. Great ring shot! Well done positioning the rings in an attractive fashion. Framing and focus here is great. My only critique (if I'm being really picky) is that all of the wood gets a bit monotonous. I probably would've grabbed a leaf from nearby to set the rings on (on top of the log) to add in a bit of color.

5. Excellent shot! Definitely your strongest. Great composition, use of surroundings to get above eye-level, and great moment captured. Theres a lot of different colors going on here, so I might try this one in black and white to try and simplify the focus. It looks a bit cocked to the left, maybe rotate it 1 degree or so clockwise. And at some point, you'll want to upgrade lenses to something that has better control of that purple fringing In the meantime, throw this shot in the portfolio.

Hope that helps!

Jul 14, 2013 at 10:59 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · City Park Wedding

Welcome to the wedding forum. Hope this crit helps you reach your goals...

1. Ruined with the fake bokeh. Shot too tight IMO.
2. Shot/Cropped too tight. Good processing and colors. Nice style.
3. Too much magenta in your whites; but otherwise good. I would like to have seen the whole dress, but it's not terrible. I understand the subject here is the shoes.
4. Awesome.
5. Good shot overall. Maybe less cropping of the bottom right could have made it better; but that's just a toss up. It's a keeper.

So, my question would be if you're on crop sensor, or just don't use super-wide lenses. Many first-time wedding posters suffer from being afraid to take a step back. Give it a chance. I think you'll see the benefits from doing so really quickly.

Jul 15, 2013 at 12:57 AM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · City Park Wedding

I'll add that in #2 you could have moved to the right or left to keep the tree from growing out of her head.

Jul 15, 2013 at 04:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

openedeyes
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · City Park Wedding

Hoo man, it's so hard to accept critique about something that comes from my own creativity, but I figure chiseling away at it to shape it into something I'm proud of is much more important.

I shoot with a 5D Mk III, and generally like to use the 35L, but sometimes I'll stick with the 50 1.4 USM during formals and candid shots. THe 50 for the faster focusing, the 35 for sweeping imagery.

I think the problem with two of the wooded shots is that I had to adjust the angle of the image in Camera Raw- we were on a downward sloping hill, but I wanted it to look level. I try to keep a couple inches of visual space on either side of the subjects, but I see now that It would benefit by moving back even further. I'll try that at the next one.

I'll also try to keep moving up and down to see what would be a better angle--it's just my personal preference, I suppose. I like the simplicity and elegance of the image!

I kind of cringed when I added in the processed bokeh shot, but it's one of my favorites, and the bride ordered a 20x24 canvas of it as soon as she saw it. Everyone loved it, and I actually had a bit of fondness for the image myself. With the sale of the canvas, I can set aside a bit more for an authentic tilt shift lens, and have the effect naturally occurring.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate you taking the time to help me grow!

Jul 15, 2013 at 03:51 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · City Park Wedding

Drop the fake T/S effect in #1. It's too harsh and unreal. Did you just blur the entire image layer and then erase that portion? <cringe> Just don't do it.

Jul 15, 2013 at 04:08 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · City Park Wedding

openedeyes wrote:
I kind of cringed when I added in the processed bokeh shot, but it's one of my favorites, and the bride ordered a 20x24 canvas of it as soon as she saw it. Everyone loved it.

Your customer liked it enough to buy a canvas enlargement, and that's terrific. Not only did it work out well for you and your customer, but you've now been given some constructive criticism that can be used to produce better images in the future.

Jul 15, 2013 at 04:50 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · City Park Wedding

#1 literally made me cringe. Why on Earth you'd intentionally do just a harsh edit is beyond me. I'm glad your bride was happy, but you lucked out on that one.

#2 is a nice image, but your crop is too tight. That sliver of the dress getting chopped changes the whole comp of the image, IMO.

#3 is a cool shot. I'm sure the bride loved that one.

#4 is your most technically correct shot. You nailed this one.

#5 is my favorite. The comp is spot on and you nailed the focus. Good job.

Once you start to figure out your style and can edit sets with consistency, you'll hopefully start to get a feel of the kind of photog you want to be. These aren't bad for a first post.

Jul 16, 2013 at 06:47 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password