Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · CF Card Readers

rcm123
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · CF Card Readers

I just bought an Apple Macbook Pro w/Retina Display to take to Alaska. It has USB 3 ports. I would appreciate recommendations for a good (reliable) CF card reader.

Jul 14, 2013 at 02:21 AM
BruceF99
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · CF Card Readers

Lexar's USB 3 reader
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/845797-REG/Lexar_LRW307URBNA_Professional_USB_3_0_Dual_Slot.html

Jul 14, 2013 at 02:42 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · CF Card Readers

plain and simple what he said above

Jul 14, 2013 at 02:47 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · CF Card Readers

I went with the Transcend
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-Multi-Card-Reader-Device-Black/dp/B0056TYRMW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373781851&sr=8-1&keywords=Transcend+usb3+card+reader

Can't find the test now but it came out near the fastest read speed (against all the main options) and was cheap enough to be buy and try purchase .

It performs really well on my imac

Jul 14, 2013 at 06:21 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · CF Card Readers

The Transcend is even bulkier than the Lexar, but it should be a good reader too. Of course at home bulk it not the issue. Normally I remove the silly base part from the Lexar to make it smaller and also use a short USB 3 cord to connect it to a laptop.

EBH

Jul 14, 2013 at 06:28 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · CF Card Readers

I think using the word 'bulky' is pushing things a bit . That makes it sound like its a huge brick

Its not very big at all .

I was looking at the Lexar , but (and this is only anecdotal ) it seems that whenever I see posts like 'my cf card is corrupted' if the card reader is to blame it seems to be the Lexar one .

May be nothing in it . I just chose the transcend on a few reviews and price .

Jul 14, 2013 at 08:10 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · CF Card Readers

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
I think using the word 'bulky' is pushing things a bit . That makes it sound like its a huge brick

Its not very big at all .

I was looking at the Lexar , but (and this is only anecdotal ) it seems that whenever I see posts like 'my cf card is corrupted' if the card reader is to blame it seems to be the Lexar one .

May be nothing in it . I just chose the transcend on a few reviews and price .

I've never had any issues with Lexar card readers.

Jul 14, 2013 at 08:15 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · CF Card Readers

EB-1 wrote:
The Transcend is even bulkier than the Lexar, but it should be a good reader too. Of course at home bulk it not the issue. Normally I remove the silly base part from the Lexar to make it smaller and also use a short USB 3 cord to connect it to a laptop.

EBH

The Transcend reader is smaller and lighter than my Lexar reader.

Jul 14, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · CF Card Readers

I own the Lexar reader and the Pretec P240 reader. The Pretec is about half the size of my Lexar. And the Transcend reader is between those two in size. Closer to the Pretec size. The Lexar weight about twice as much as the other. Not a big deal IMO.
All 3 readers are good and fast.

Jul 14, 2013 at 10:49 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · CF Card Readers

I just bought the Lexar and it seems to work fine with my Sandisk cards. I get the full 90MB/sec from my Extreme Pro SD card too, so it is fast.

Jul 14, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · CF Card Readers

the Pretec and the Lexar

there is peak throughput and then there is average. neither one of these can compare to the built in SD reader on my laptop which is PCIe. both do work well. I have had issues with the pretec on some machines as it supports just about every format around. I don't bother with transcend. I have one SD reader from them purchased recently (it was pocket change) and as usual it underperforms from its stated capabilities. it is compact though.

NIKON D7000    17.0-70.0 mm f/2.8-4.0 lens    70mm    f/14.0    1/250s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Jul 14, 2013 at 12:07 PM · View previous versions

Jul 14, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Poff Photo
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · CF Card Readers

I've had this since I got my USB 3.0 capable laptop... Has worked great...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/826525-REG/Hoodman_RAWUSB3_USB_3_0_UDMA_Reader.html

Jul 14, 2013 at 12:06 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · CF Card Readers

that is an excellent option too

Jul 14, 2013 at 12:16 PM
srh70

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · CF Card Readers

I went with Transcend also and been very happy with it. I have been using it for little over 6 months now.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/815153-REG/Transcend_TS_RDF8K_USB_3_0_Multi_Card.html

Jul 14, 2013 at 12:18 PM
aubsxc
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · CF Card Readers

If you only need CF, here is a less expensive option with USB 3.0, with what is arguably a more secure mounting method. I have one and it works flawlessly.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005IMFX2K/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3D26MR0NTC8CO

Jul 14, 2013 at 03:59 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · CF Card Readers

aubsxc wrote:
If you only need CF, here is a less expensive option with USB 3.0, with what is arguably a more secure mounting method. I have one and it works flawlessly.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005IMFX2K/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3D26MR0NTC8CO

I have one of those, but it kept disconnecting partway through the file copy.
Maybe I'll try another one.

EBH

Jul 14, 2013 at 04:35 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · CF Card Readers

Lars Johnsson wrote:
I own the Lexar reader and the Pretec P240 reader. The Pretec is about half the size of my Lexar. And the Transcend reader is between those two in size. Closer to the Pretec size. The Lexar weight about twice as much as the other. Not a big deal IMO.
All 3 readers are good and fast.

Whatever happened to the Pretec reader? I missed out on that one, not having a USB laptop at the time.

EBH

Jul 14, 2013 at 04:37 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · CF Card Readers

EB-1 wrote:
Whatever happened to the Pretec reader? I missed out on that one, not having a USB laptop at the time.

EBH

It's an excellent small reader that I use for travel. About half the size of the Lexar. Included in that small size is also the attachable external USB 3.0 connector. It's inside a small pocket in the bottom when not using it.

http://www.pretec.com/products/readers-a-accessories/item/readers-accessories/p240-usb-30-multi-card-reader

Jul 14, 2013 at 07:42 PM
broncoholic
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · CF Card Readers

I like and use this one...it is easy to carry around and fast!

Pixelflash...only on ebay...that I know of...I use their card also and have not had any issues with anything they sell...its been 3 years...so far...knock on wood.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PixelFlash-USB-3-0-No-Bend-Pins-Compact-Flash-Memory-Card-Reader-CF-Adapter-/360620778042?pt=US_Memory_Card_Readers_Adapters&hash=item53f6ac623a

Jul 14, 2013 at 08:04 PM
rcm123
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · CF Card Readers

Thanks to all for the input. Very helpful.

Jul 15, 2013 at 04:14 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password