Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Images Being Deleted From Posts

John Caldwell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Images Being Deleted From Posts

Why are those posting images now deleting once-embedded images, or downsizing previously large images to very small files? Are images being stolen from the forum for profit? Perhaps being used elsewhere without proper credit being given?

I ask because I'm generally naive to such things and, in particular, I imagined that most of use aren't putting food on the family table with the work shown here.

What am I missing?

Many thanks,

John Caldwell

Jul 13, 2013 at 08:25 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Images Being Deleted From Posts

In some cases, the person who originally posted an image might removes it, to avoid future problems. I've done it. For example, I'll sometimes post an example image that I think is relevant to a thread, but that image is from an event that I normally wouldn't share photos from, and especially when the image includes people and there is no permission that covers publishing their photo on the open internet. Generally, I'll delete the photo after a couple of days; sometimes, after a few hours.

Images are "stolen" from all online sites, all of the time. That's another reason that original posters delete some of their images after a short while, especially if they're unique or special in some way.

Of course, there's also some cases where an image link in a FM thread is to a server or hosting site that no longer has the image, or isn't online, or whatever.

I don't think you're missing anything, except the original photos that have been deleted, or downsized.

Jul 13, 2013 at 08:41 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Images Being Deleted From Posts

Apparently it started when one poster saw an image of his ripped off - and he started the trend of posting for a few hours and then removing them. It's ridiculous and annoying. If you can't leave the image up then don't post it. If you're afraid to have an image ripped off, put a watermark in it.

Jul 13, 2013 at 08:55 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Images Being Deleted From Posts

Many do restrict online posting to smaller images (say 600 px wide) and include watermarks and other ID information for reasons you can imagine. In addition, the very large images sizes don't fit on quite a few monitors.

Dan

Jul 13, 2013 at 10:09 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Images Being Deleted From Posts

Our 'entitlement' to any image is NONE except our own unless all rights are sold. Share or not, share then remove, are actions each member has the right to manage. When did this freedom vanish, it didn't. Need there be a reason, no.

If you miss a particular image that was posted/removed, the sky will not fall, get over it, stop complaining, enjoy the images you can/get to see/discuss.

And, go shoot something, stop whining pleeze
Jerry

Jul 13, 2013 at 10:22 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Images Being Deleted From Posts

Are people really that paranoid about their small scale image being stolen here? Really? Why post it for a couple hours then as it can also be downloaded in those few hours of it's existence.

We now take images, never to be printed and never to be posted. Come on, is this what it as gotten to? Scratching head...

Jul 13, 2013 at 11:07 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Images Being Deleted From Posts

StillFingerz wrote:
Our 'entitlement' to any image is NONE except our own unless all rights are sold. Share or not, share then remove, are actions each member has the right to manage. When did this freedom vanish, it didn't. Need there be a reason, no.

If you miss a particular image that was posted/removed, the sky will not fall, get over it, stop complaining, enjoy the images you can/get to see/discuss.

And, go shoot something, stop whining pleeze
Jerry

1. That's the point - I don't jump on here every 4 hours to see what's posted; I have a life but occasionally like to see examples of other's work - particularly when some amazing piece of information is purported
2. The right to object to the practice is exactly as valid as the right to perform it

Jul 13, 2013 at 11:11 PM
austin.grant
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Images Being Deleted From Posts

Lets all just smile and be friends, like the people pictured here:

Jul 13, 2013 at 11:19 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Images Being Deleted From Posts

timbop wrote:
the trend of posting for a few hours and then removing them. It's ridiculous and annoying. If you can't leave the image up then don't post it.

There ought to be a rule here against starting a thread while planning to pull the pictures after a few hours. Fred??

Just put up a picture that's 600 pixels and/or watermarked.

Jul 14, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Images Being Deleted From Posts

John Caldwell wrote:
Why are those posting images now deleting once-embedded images, or downsizing previously large images to very small files? Are images being stolen from the forum for profit? Perhaps being used elsewhere without proper credit being given?

I ask because I'm generally naive to such things and, in particular, I imagined that most of use aren't putting food on the family table with the work shown here.

What am I missing?

Many thanks,

John Caldwell

From what I've seen it's mostly one person who is very fearful of image stealing after once seeing some of his images posted by someone else on some other sight or something. I have to admit I've only gotten to see about 10% of his (generally excellent.... or so I assume ) images.

I'm not honestly sure it really makes much difference myself (and if someone wants one person's stuff that badly they could just browse the forum non-stop one day and grab everything as soon as posted so even posting and then removing it a bit later doesn't stop anything) so I don't even bother right-click or other annoying stuff myself. If someone wants the screen size image they will just screen grab it and if they are satisfied with that they'd never have bought the original anyway (and these days with 10000000x amazing images posted to the web, I think it's hard to sell digital files on the web much these anyway, at least not unless you really set up a super fancy looking dedicated sight with limited images for sale and really push them or shoot event footage files). But to each their own. At least he is not so bad as before when I literally saw only about 1% of his images and it was starting to get a bit arrrrrrr to see all these posts about images that are not there day after day.

I'm not sure the point of desperately hiding images on the odd chance some 1 in 10,000 sale will be missed or someone will claim some work of mine as their own for a few weeks. Does an image exists to begin with if nobody ever sees it.

But to each their own with their own images. It's not like we have a right to see any of them to begin with. (although the make a big deal thread and then remove stuff 2 hours later thing did start to get a bit arrrrr since you had thread after thread that ended up being much discussion over nothing that anyone later on could see and by later on it was often literally like just two hours later, if even)

Edited on Jul 14, 2013 at 12:37 AM · View previous versions

Jul 14, 2013 at 12:27 AM
David Levinson
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Images Being Deleted From Posts

I don't think any of mine are now missing links in various forums but they may be. Say I post an image a year ago and now I am cleaning up my online galleries and forgot that i posted the photo on FM and corrupt the link. I think that can happen for some of us.

The few hours thing I don't understand the point.

Jul 14, 2013 at 12:29 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Images Being Deleted From Posts

Of course some disappear simply because people redo their photo websites or change hosts, host names, etc. Plenty of my older links are now dead for sure.

Jul 14, 2013 at 12:32 AM
Jim Victory
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Images Being Deleted From Posts

I just post crappy pics so no one would want them. It has work so far.

Jim

Jul 14, 2013 at 12:34 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Images Being Deleted From Posts

Jim Victory wrote:
I just post crappy pics so no one would want them. It has work so far.

Jim

sometimes I (almost) secretly HOPE that some of my pics will be stolen and posted by someone else

Jul 14, 2013 at 12:34 AM
John Caldwell
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Images Being Deleted From Posts

Thanks to all. I asked the original question out of genuine ignorance and puzzlement, and have learned a lot by listening.

John Caldwell

Jul 14, 2013 at 01:34 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Images Being Deleted From Posts

jcolwell wrote:
In some cases, the person who originally posted an image might removes it, to avoid future problems. I've done it. For example, I'll sometimes post an example image that I think is relevant to a thread, but that image is from an event that I normally wouldn't share photos from, and especially when the image includes people and there is no permission that covers publishing their photo on the open internet. Generally, I'll delete the photo after a couple of days; sometimes, after a few hours.

Images are "stolen" from all online sites, all of the time. That's another reason that
...Show more

This is one major reason. Sometimes people stop paying for hosting or decide to delete or rename the source, especially if it has been a while since the original post.

EBH

Jul 14, 2013 at 06:11 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Images Being Deleted From Posts

I also agree it is annoying to "miss" photos about which there has been a discussion, and I would certainly prefer that posters left images up for a couple of days at least, so folk get a good chance to see them. Deleting after just a few hours is annoying, and I think a little pointless as we post to let people see our images and deleting them immediately counters that.

That said, the images belong to the poster and we have to respect his or her views. Personally I leave my images up, and don't worry about it. But I am not making money from my photography. Given that i post nothing larger than 1000 pixels wide, anyone using the images without permission would be limited in what they do with the picture, and i take the general view that anyone doing such was never going to pay me anything anyway so I've lost nothing. That doesn't make it right of course, but it does mean its not worth me losing sleep over it. Everybody will have different opinion on this though, and if you are Pro then of course things are very different.

Jul 14, 2013 at 06:36 AM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Images Being Deleted From Posts

Hi All,

That anyone is of the belief that removing their posts or images after a limited time offers them any form of protection from having their material harvested by third parties is living in a fool's paradise. Site scrapers, search engines, web crawlers, DOM miners, and HTTP requests using socket requests (to name but a few techniques) can, and do, grab pretty much everything posted if there is an interested party for such data and imagery. Limiting file size and watermarking offer limited utility to would be, um, repurposers, and, as such, are the only meaningful tools to protecting one's material if they are wishing to share it publicly. The only freedom anyone is exercising when posting to the internet is the right to be woefully ignorant.

Jimmy G

Jul 15, 2013 at 01:49 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password