Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Speedboat vs. Sailboats

eeneryma
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Speedboat vs. Sailboats

Shot last weekend from a Connecticut bluff overlooking Long Island Sound. Any suggestions welcomed.

eeneryma 2012

Speedboats vs Sailboats

Jul 13, 2013 at 03:10 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Speedboat vs. Sailboats

I appreciate the comp/contrast ... just wish the speed boat was not quite so far left/low in the frame taking us away from the sailboats and out of the frame so strongly. Do you have any more negative space to play with, or is this full frame?

Jul 13, 2013 at 03:29 PM
eeneryma
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Speedboat vs. Sailboats

This was the original shot. I was playing with cropping in the first post, and wasn't sure if it worked. Unconventional, but I wondered if by putting the speedboat in bottom left corner it emphasized the boat's speedy path in relation to the sailboats and maybe creates a tension. Any thoughts...

eeneryma 2012

Original photo of Speedboat

Jul 13, 2013 at 03:41 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Speedboat vs. Sailboats

I prefer the crop ... maybe just a judicious shift to give a sliver (or two) more negative space left of the speedboat.

Jul 13, 2013 at 04:08 PM
eeneryma
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Speedboat vs. Sailboats

Thanks Rusty.

Jul 13, 2013 at 04:23 PM
eeneryma
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Speedboat vs. Sailboats

How's this

eeneryma 2012

rework crop

Jul 13, 2013 at 05:59 PM
MarcG19
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Speedboat vs. Sailboats

I like your rework crop, better than the first crop.

However, if I were you I'd be tempted to use layers to change the relative locations of speedboat and sailboat........ This would even better emphasize the contrast between speed and sail. But, I understand most people don't like such aggressive photoshoping.

Jul 14, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Speedboat vs. Sailboats

I do.

Here's what I imagine it would have been a moment before:

Jul 14, 2013 at 01:05 AM
eeneryma
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Speedboat vs. Sailboats

To MarcG19 and Antipode:
From a conceptual and design standpoint, can you explain your preferred positioning of speed boat to emphasize the speed of the boat. I'm always trying to understand and learn why certain composition decisions are made.
It seems that photography today through the use of photoshop has become closer to other artistic mediums like painting, in that one can make changes never before thought possible.

Jul 14, 2013 at 02:47 AM
eeneryma
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Speedboat vs. Sailboats

Interestingly, I was shooting multiple frames on this series and here's the first shot I took as the speedboat came into view.

eeneryma 2012

First frame in the series

Jul 14, 2013 at 02:52 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Speedboat vs. Sailboats

Better, in my book, although a smidge more to the left would have a slightly less static composition balance to my eyes.

Jul 14, 2013 at 07:26 AM
eeneryma
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Speedboat vs. Sailboats

I agree that the speedboat, in my first shot in the series, is somewhat static as it is centered in the frame.
Here's what attracted me to this series of photos when I processed them. I liked the triangulation of the 3 boats. The sailboat on the right has several people lounging on the deck, moving at what I would imagine is a leisurely pace. The rear sailboat is pitched at an angle, taking full advantage of the wind, and is moving off into the distance. The speedboat front and center is moving at a fast clip, creating a sizeable wake, the occupants slightly blurred, the driver's left hand crooked against the side of the boat for support, all bodies erect and eyes looking straight forward. It's a perfectly sunny and breezy summer day for enjoyment on the water.
I still think my rework based on Rusty's suggestion better emphasizes the speed of the boat which I was going after. Antipode's composition is a more artistically pleasing triangulation.
When I like a photo I try to sit down and analyze why I like it, and what I can learn from it.

Jul 14, 2013 at 01:17 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Speedboat vs. Sailboats

Those are some pretty subtle elements you mention regarding the boats/people relative to speed/motion. Even though they are likely lost on all but the most observant and thoughtful viewer, I'm diggin' your awareness of their nuance.

When I first scrolled down to the OP, I was anticipating the speed boat to be right about where Karen placed it. But after seeing your rework and hers, having the speedboat "past" the two sailboats and the longer wake conveys a bit more message of "see ya" as they are headed on beyond the sailboats. This in comparison to the shorter wake/placement of "I'm here too" in the middle of the sailboats.

Probably about as subtle a difference as your other aspects, but one that seems to make a difference to me. The reworked crop adds sufficient negative space that I no longer feel like I'm about to fall out of the frame. Could it tolerate a sliver more (fine tuning/hair splitting) shift to facilitate my return to the other areas of the scene ... maybe.

I find this an interesting scene psychologically/philosophically/conceptually/etc. regarding the use of negative space. Consider if the speedboat wanted to go up to the distant sailboat. The speed boat isn't on a road or rail that takes them directly to the tacking boat. Instead, they will have to make a sweeping turn to get there. Even if they make an hyper aggressive maneuver to turn that way, they're gonna need more room to make that turn than the OP allows for.

The additional negative space gives us a bit more room to "make the turn" visually when we don't have "hard lines" to draw us to where we want our viewer to go. How much space does one need to visually "make the turn"? That's variable @ many factors, but I'll keep this one as a "nugget" to prime future considerations regarding negative space utilization ..., i.e. the viewer needs enough room to "make the turn", if that makes any sense.

Jul 14, 2013 at 03:30 PM
eeneryma
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Speedboat vs. Sailboats

Rusty: Appreciate your thought provoking comments.

Jul 14, 2013 at 05:25 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password