Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2013 · Serengeti Dawn
  
 
sbeme
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Serengeti Dawn


Scott



GoetzPhotoz 2013

  Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    67mm    f/8.0    1/1000s    800 ISO    -1.0 EV  




Jul 13, 2013 at 01:03 PM
Bob Jarman
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Serengeti Dawn


Looks noisy to me Scott, any chance of getting the CR2?

Bob



Jul 13, 2013 at 03:14 PM
RustyBug
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Serengeti Dawn


Nice scene, renders mood of still quiet before the day really gets moving.

+1 @ noise @ ISO 800.

Kinda curious @ ISO 800 combined with -1 EV. Why not just ISO 400 @ 0 EV or ISO 100 @ 1/250 (i.e. focal length only @ 67mm, did you need 1/1000 @ ISO 800)?

Would like to see what Bob can do with the noise in his new software toy.



Jul 13, 2013 at 03:35 PM
sbeme
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Serengeti Dawn


Kent,
Usual reason. Operator error.
Quickly changing light, handheld but I certainly did not need ISO 800 at that point. Shooting aperture priority
I must have under-exposed to get the noise. the Mk II is very clean to 1600 most of the time and I dont even start to think about IS0 at 800.
On the other hand, the 7D is too noisy....I am disappointed. If you nail the exposure, fine. But visible noise is just about all files at ISO 800. And that is a problem since bumping the ISO is one way to adjust to the need for fast shutter speeds for birds.
Scott



Jul 13, 2013 at 05:40 PM
Bob Jarman
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Serengeti Dawn


Thanks for the CR2,

Converted with Photo Ninja: scenic global preset, #2 cropped to approximate your pano however am limited to fixed sizes in 1/n ratio (1/2, 1/4, etc)

Someone whose eyes are better than mine can make the call, if there is a call.

Bob














Jul 13, 2013 at 06:07 PM
AuntiPode
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Serengeti Dawn


One of the tricky PP artifacts to avoid, although, especially at small scale, a nit:







Jul 13, 2013 at 11:16 PM
MarcG19
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Serengeti Dawn


Saw this on a 13" Macbook screen.

First, I think it does communicate a mood very nicely. I also like the longer crop of the original and especially dislike what seem on this screen to be overagrressive post processing and the total blotching of apparent detail in the grass in Bob's version (my apologies, Bob, just my opinion, no offense meant).

On that note, it's kind of interesting that the grass/foreground is much blotchier than the sky. I was under the impression that, especially at a reduced sized jpg, that more detail would be present there given the camera/lens settings.

The only thing I might add, is that a longer crop than the original (which was 2.1:1) would be better. I would try a 2.4:1ratio or so - this would cut out the sky and give more prominence to the line of trees, the colors, and the sun. But then, maybe I've watched too many anamorphic Panavision movies.

AuntiPode - I see the artifact. What is it called, how does it come about and how to avoid/fix it?



Jul 14, 2013 at 12:35 AM
Bob Jarman
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Serengeti Dawn


MarcG19 wrote:
Saw this on a 13" Macbook screen.

First, I think it does communicate a mood very nicely. I also like the longer crop of the original and especially dislike what seem on this screen to be overagrressive post processing and the total blotching of apparent detail in the grass in Bob's version (my apologies, Bob, just my opinion, no offense meant).

On that note, it's kind of interesting that the grass/foreground is much blotchier than the sky. I was under the impression that, especially at a reduced sized jpg, that more detail would be present there given the camera/lens settings.
...Show more

Not a problem, banding was an issue too..





Jul 14, 2013 at 12:42 AM
AuntiPode
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Serengeti Dawn


I don't recall/know what it's called. I confess I've never been interested in a scientific approach to photography in general or post processing, specifically. But, I do care what images look like and tend to notice small differences, if I find them visually a little "off". That said, looks to me like a sharpening artifact - like an unsharp mask effect. The creation of a light line adjacent to a dark line at a distance gives the impression of greater sharpness and contrast. It may have been added by something in Photo Ninja if Bob didn't specifically sharpen it. The effect could perhaps be light on the horizon from some sort of atmospheric effect, except it isn't present in Scott's original version, suggesting it was added in post, unless Scott removed it in his original post processing. (When I want the best final tweaked version to print large where someone may nit-pick up close, I sometimes use the clone stamp to remove such lines when avoiding it in the first place is impractical.)


Jul 14, 2013 at 12:52 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Bob Jarman
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Serengeti Dawn


AuntiPode wrote:
I don't recall/know what it's called. I confess I've never been interested in a scientific approach to photography in general or post processing, specifically. But, I do care what images look like and tend to notice small differences, if I find them visually a little "off". That said, looks to me like a sharpening artifact - like an unsharp mask effect. The creation of a light line adjacent to a dark line at a distance gives the impression of greater sharpness and contrast. It may have been added by something in Photo Ninja if Bob didn't specifically sharpen it. The
...Show more


Straight up defaults without my "tweaks" just for reference.














Jul 14, 2013 at 01:11 PM
sbeme
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Serengeti Dawn


Bob
Thx for the rework
Noise better but it does look overly sharpened

Kent
Revisited Raw and settings
Had to underexposed to prevent blowing out the sun and still needed aggressive recovery of highlights
Then pulling up the shadows
I did not apply NR in LR prior to post and should have



Jul 14, 2013 at 03:52 PM
sbeme
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Serengeti Dawn


Marc
Not sure if the blotchiness represents less detail in the pulled up shadows but I suspect that is the culprit
I agree about the crop
Thanks for joining the discussion and offering your input

Scott

Edited on Jul 14, 2013 at 07:09 PM · View previous versions



Jul 14, 2013 at 03:54 PM
Bob Jarman
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Serengeti Dawn


sbeme wrote:
Bob
Thx for the rework
Noise better but it does look overly sharpened



Never met an image I couldn't over-sharpen



Jul 14, 2013 at 06:27 PM
AuntiPode
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Serengeti Dawn


I've generally recommend selective sharpening for many images. Make a selection with a appropriately refined edge and apply sharpening to optimize the selection. Over-all sharpening is like one size fits all clothes. The "fit" is a compromise at best and often fits badly.


Jul 14, 2013 at 11:48 PM
RustyBug
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Serengeti Dawn


+1 @ Karen

Global sharpening only vs. selective sharpening ... particularly when a scene has areas that are of inherently differing contrast levels.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1226408



Jul 15, 2013 at 03:26 PM
Jglaser757
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Serengeti Dawn


I think you should open up the shadows in the front..a little to dark,,some nice detail there that I would like to see..

Also , I think this might work as bw too!!



Jul 17, 2013 at 02:24 PM
RustyBug
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Serengeti Dawn


Jglaser757 wrote:
I think you should open up the shadows in the front..a little to dark,,some nice detail there that I would like to see..

Also , I think this might work as bw too!!



Took a stab at it ...













Jul 17, 2013 at 04:06 PM





FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password