New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Guinevere Liberty

Gary Schmeidle
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Guinevere Liberty

Wanted to share a few pictures I took today of my first grandchild our little Guinevere Liberty. She was born of the 4th of July so just one week old. From day one she has been quite bright eyed and alert. These were taken with window light and either the Canon 85L or 100mm macro L. Comments and suggestions always welcome.

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:51 PM
eSchwab
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Guinevere Liberty

she's very cute and overall these are well done. I don't think I like the kicker light though.

Jul 15, 2013 at 01:32 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Guinevere Liberty

born on the 4th of July ! -- nice natural light portraits

Jul 15, 2013 at 05:51 PM
Jammyn
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Guinevere Liberty

Beautiful baby and well captured.

Jul 15, 2013 at 06:02 PM
Lisa_Holloway
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Guinevere Liberty

Hi Gary,

She is absolutely GORGEOUS - such a beautiful baby! I know your whole family is so excited!

Here are my best tips for photographing new babies - shoot them in the morning...babies are usually happier in the am hours. Use a nice warm space to shoot...lots of heat, until you are sweating buckets. They love that (even though we don't so much lol). Use white noise...I downloaded a womb sounds app on my iphone and blast it at full volume right next to him, but a hair dryer works just as well. Have mom try to keep baby awake for an hour or two prior to doing pictures, and then have her feed baby up really good. After all of that, it just takes a lot of patience!

Also, make sure you don't up light babies...have them angled at about 45 degrees to your light source but have the light flowing from the top of the head down, not up the nose. I have a pullback of the pics I did of Gabriel yesterday...I did them in my garage but a window inside a home will do also. Try to find a room with white walls if possible or you will have fun with color casts. That's one reason I like my garage. If you are using a beanbag, make sure it is nice and full/firm so you don't have issues with sinking...use lots of blanket layers and clamps to pull the blanket tight so you cut down on editing work. Keep taking pictures of her! They are usually easiest to photograph the first week to 10 days old, but Gabriel is 3 weeks old today and we're still going strong in the photo department, so you may get more time than that. I'm jealous that you are getting such alert awake photos...I need some of those of Gabriel!

Jul 15, 2013 at 09:35 PM
Gary Schmeidle
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Guinevere Liberty

Thanks for the tips Lisa, really apprreciate you taking the time to comment! I may need to try to rig something up in my garage as their home is pretty small and not the best light.

Eric, I didnt use any kicker lights on these they are just window lights.

Jul 16, 2013 at 08:00 AM
Lisa_Holloway
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Guinevere Liberty

Yes, definitely try the garage! Here's a (rather poor) pullback of some pics I did the other day of Gabriel in the garage. I should have backed up more, but if you look at the top, you can see the garage door, and you can see how his head is angled in relation to the light source (opening of garage)...it's at about 45 degrees. My iphone is sitting near him playing a womb sounds app at full volume, and he's just snoozing away! It was probably 90 degrees in the garage this day.

Jul 16, 2013 at 09:20 AM
jfinite
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Guinevere Liberty

Super!

Jul 16, 2013 at 09:38 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.