Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Wedding...Which flash should I buy? Nikon girl :)

labowman22

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Wedding...Which flash should I buy? Nikon girl :)

I am shooting a wedding in a church in August. The church is very old and does not have any lights. It is very dark inside. I am looking for a new external flash. Currently, I have the SB600. I want something stronger with a faster recycling time. Should I go with SB800, SB900 or SB910? The SB910 is the most expensive. Is it worth buying over the SB800?

Jul 13, 2013 at 02:31 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #2 · Wedding...Which flash should I buy? Nikon girl :)

Are you allowed to use flash during the ceremony?

Jul 13, 2013 at 02:32 AM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Wedding...Which flash should I buy? Nikon girl :)

SB-800 is the best IMHO. More battery life (with extra battery slot), it's slightly more powerful, and it's smaller. It just can't zoom as far or rotate it's head 180 degrees both ways (but it does one way).

The 900 over heats much to often and will ruin your hotshoe if you use a D700. Not sure about other hotshoes.

The 910 is just overpriced and supposedly doesn't overheat as much.

Jul 13, 2013 at 02:43 AM
labowman22

p.1 #4 · Wedding...Which flash should I buy? Nikon girl :)

Yes, I can

Jul 13, 2013 at 02:43 AM
labowman22

p.1 #5 · Wedding...Which flash should I buy? Nikon girl :)

Nathan Padgett wrote:
SB-800 is the best IMHO. More battery life (with extra battery slot), it's slightly more powerful, and it's smaller. It just can't zoom as far or rotate it's head 180 degrees both ways (but it does one way).

The 900 over heats much to often and will ruin your hotshoe if you use a D700. Not sure about other hotshoes.

The 910 is just overpriced and supposedly doesn't overheat as much.

Thanks! I am definitely looking for extra battery life also! That's good to know about the SB800

Jul 13, 2013 at 02:45 AM
SGallant
• • •
p.1 #6 · Wedding...Which flash should I buy? Nikon girl :)

I have all 3 and personally use the 910 on my main body. I actually find the extra battery to be annoying on the SB800 because you just cant buy 5 pack sets of batteries. Also while the rotation doesn't seem like a big deal depending on if and how you bounce it can be. As for my 900 it stopped overheating once I change my batteries to eneloops. As for the D700 hotshoe being ruined, not sure what that means as mine is perfectly fine and I use the 900 on the D700.

As a side note, I also find the SB900 and SB910 quite a bit faster to navigate the menus and change things. Not sure how advanced you would get with the lights.

Jul 13, 2013 at 03:37 AM
johnrg
• • •
p.1 #7 · Wedding...Which flash should I buy? Nikon girl :)

I run an SB-900 with SD-9 battery pack on my D700s. Boost your ISO so you don't need as much power from your flash and you'll be fine. Every great once in a while the 900 gets too hot and gives me the middle finger for a few minutes, but it's rare

Jul 13, 2013 at 03:52 AM
hendrikm
• •
p.1 #8 · Wedding...Which flash should I buy? Nikon girl :)

The SB-800 doesnīt have any thermal protection (so you can ruin a flash bulb)
The SB-900 does have a thermal protection, but you can turn it off (a must for wedding photographers)
The SB-910 does have a thermal protection, but you canīt turn it off. The flash will fire but with less power...

Jul 13, 2013 at 09:52 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #9 · Wedding...Which flash should I buy? Nikon girl :)

RE thermal protection; it shouldn't activate too often if you think about what you're doing - operating at f/8 and ISO 100 is asking for trouble
Just boost the iso and open the aperture so the flash doesn't have to work too hard, especially in a dark church with high ceilings. The batteries will last longer too.

Jul 13, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Wedding...Which flash should I buy? Nikon girl :)

SB800 is cheaper and much smaller for the same power output. The menu system is awful but once you know where the functions you use are it is fine.

Jul 13, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

eephoto
• •
p.1 #11 · Wedding...Which flash should I buy? Nikon girl :)

Get the sb-910 you won't be disappointed, but if funds are an issue then get the sb-800. I would stay away from the sb-900.

Jul 13, 2013 at 12:40 PM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #12 · Wedding...Which flash should I buy? Nikon girl :)

I would recommend a SB-910 with SD-9 battery pack. Or if you don't want to spend on a SB-910, do a SB-900 with a SD-9 battery pack (else you might find that the recycle time might really suck if you're flashing a lot). That or just get a QFlash or CheetahLight if you're planning to only use a camera-mounted speedlight for all future shoots. If planning to expand later to multiple flashes, go with the 910.

I've used the SB-700/800/900/910... The 910/900 are a bit heavier than the previous models, even the 800.

Jul 13, 2013 at 05:13 PM
D. Diggler
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Wedding...Which flash should I buy? Nikon girl :)

MazeRunner wrote:
I would recommend a SB-910 with SD-9 battery pack.

That's what I use. The 180-degree swivel in both directions was important to me after working with a flash that doesn't have that capability.

Jul 13, 2013 at 08:54 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #14 · Wedding...Which flash should I buy? Nikon girl :)

If this is a one-off event, why not go to the Church with your SB600 and take some shots at a variety of ISO's and f/stop's? You might be pleasantly surprised by the quality of high-ISO images.

If you still want a higher powered flash at a modest price, the Yongnuo YN-568EX might be an option. They seem to be getting pretty good reviews.

Jul 14, 2013 at 04:57 AM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #15 · Wedding...Which flash should I buy? Nikon girl :)

D. Diggler wrote:
That's what I use. The 180-degree swivel in both directions was important to me after working with a flash that doesn't have that capability.

Being able to swivel completely and bounce flash directly behind me whenever & however is important!

Jul 14, 2013 at 05:42 AM
D. Diggler
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Wedding...Which flash should I buy? Nikon girl :)

MazeRunner wrote:
Being able to swivel completely and bounce flash directly behind me whenever & however is important!

I don't believe the 800 swivels fully in both directions.

Jul 14, 2013 at 06:04 AM
D. Diggler
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Wedding...Which flash should I buy? Nikon girl :)

labowman22 wrote:
I want something stronger with a faster recycling time

The Sd-9 battery pack gives significantly faster recycle time. You don't have to pay the price for a genuine SD-9; some of the third-party knockoffs work fine.

Jul 14, 2013 at 06:16 AM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #18 · Wedding...Which flash should I buy? Nikon girl :)

D. Diggler wrote:
The Sd-9 battery pack gives significantly faster recycle time. You don't have to pay the price for a genuine SD-9; some of the third-party knockoffs work fine.

I think this will solve your problem. Just get the sb800 if you can find one. You'll save money and there's nothing the more expensive options can offer you that you'll notice. In a addition you can get a high voltage battery pack. there's quantum, lumedyne and godox. Quantum is the standard, lumedyne are just as good and cost less. And godox is a knock off that's dirt cheap. They all use the same standard quantum to nikon power cables. That should get your recycle time down to 1-2 seconds.

Jul 14, 2013 at 11:31 AM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Wedding...Which flash should I buy? Nikon girl :)

labowman22 wrote:
Yes, I can

Well, that should annoy the crap out of the guests.

Jul 14, 2013 at 12:31 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Wedding...Which flash should I buy? Nikon girl :)

I find the sb700 to be the most consistent performer (and the lightest/cheapest). We had a bulb blow out on an sb900 last weekend even with the thermal protection on - the 900 is a POS and any of the other models are better.

- trr

Jul 14, 2013 at 01:45 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password