Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Better way to fix zoom creep for push-pull zooms?

penghai
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Better way to fix zoom creep for push-pull zooms?

Hi,

I have a few old MF zoom lenses that I like a lot. They are of the push-pull type and all have the zoom creep issue. SInce they are push-pul type, I think the lens-band will not fix. So I'm looking at putting on a tape. I just wondering which kind tape may be best? Or you have other suggestions?

Thanks,

Eric

Jul 12, 2013 at 09:04 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Better way to fix zoom creep for push-pull zooms?

Gaffers works great. Usually you'll just need a thin strip on the underside of
the barrel...along it's length, to take care of the creep.

Jul 13, 2013 at 05:58 AM
penghai
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Better way to fix zoom creep for push-pull zooms?

trenchmonkey wrote:
Gaffers works great. Usually you'll just need a thin strip on the underside of
the barrel...along it's length, to take care of the creep.

Thanks very much.

Eric

Jul 13, 2013 at 02:04 PM
Elan II
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Better way to fix zoom creep for push-pull zooms?

Nikon lenses have pretty tight barrels, so the tape method works well. Most 3rd party lenses have too large of a space for tape to have an effect. I use Dymo labeling tape. It's hard, waterproof and permanent. This what it looks like on the 75-150, a lens notorious for creep. It's important to tuck the tape under the fully extended barrel as far as you can.

http://images.pixelpeeping.net/elanr/75-150F35/Lens/301_5648b.jpg

Jul 15, 2013 at 08:52 PM
penghai
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Better way to fix zoom creep for push-pull zooms?

Elan II wrote:
Nikon lenses have pretty tight barrels, so the tape method works well. Most 3rd party lenses have too large of a space for tape to have an effect. I use Dymo labeling tape. It's hard, waterproof and permanent. This what it looks like on the 75-150, a lens notorious for creep. It's important to tuck the tape under the fully extended barrel as far as you can.

Looks very good. Mine is a newly bought but very sharp Nikon 80-200 f4.5 AI lens. The zoom ring creep like a free fall object.

Is this tape easy to remove if I need to adjust its position?

Eric

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:48 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Better way to fix zoom creep for push-pull zooms?

I simply let them creep. I often use the 80-200 f/4.5 AI when shooting with tubes and I love the very free play of the zoom ring as I find focus. I don't even try to turn the focusing ring, I simply slip it forward and back. I know tape works, but when I'm shooting the fingers of my left hand are always on the focusing/zoom ring, so I can put the ring exactly where I want it. I guess if you're mounting it on a tripod and using a remote trigger you'd want the lens to hold position, but that isn't how I use these lenses... just to offer a contrary opinion on the subject...

Good luck sorting this out. If you're shooting with a Nikon camera and have one of these old lenses mounted, you might want to post a photo or two on the Manual Focus Nikon Glass thread. We're having a great time celebrating these old lenses.

Jul 15, 2013 at 11:57 PM
penghai
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Better way to fix zoom creep for push-pull zooms?

CGrindahl wrote:
I simply let them creep. I often use the 80-200 f/4.5 AI when shooting with tubes and I love the very free play of the zoom ring as I find focus. I don't even try to turn the focusing ring, I simply slip it forward and back. I know tape works, but when I'm shooting the fingers of my left hand are always on the focusing/zoom ring, so I can put the ring exactly where I want it. I guess if you're mounting it on a tripod and using a remote trigger you'd want the lens to hold position, but
...Show more

I didn't really think of leave it as is. But it's certainly a valid way to deal with it. Thanks very much.

Eric

Jul 16, 2013 at 01:38 AM
Elan II
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Better way to fix zoom creep for push-pull zooms?

penghai wrote:
Looks very good. Mine is a newly bought but very sharp Nikon 80-200 f4.5 AI lens. The zoom ring creep like a free fall object.

Is this tape easy to remove if I need to adjust its position?

Eric

It come off fairly easily and doesn't leave any residue. Once off you have to replace with new.

Jul 16, 2013 at 07:12 AM
penghai
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Better way to fix zoom creep for push-pull zooms?

Elan II wrote:
It come off fairly easily and doesn't leave any residue. Once off you have to replace with new.

Thanks very much.

Eric

Jul 16, 2013 at 08:08 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.