Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Warning: Upgrading Canon Firmware May Cost You $235!

David Levinson
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Warning: Upgrading Canon Firmware May Cost You $235!

I'll keep this short and to the facts so you can draw your own conclusions.

I recently purchased a used 1DMKIII which worked and focused fine. I was enjoying taking some great photos with it. The camera was a joy to operate.

I saw that there was a firmware update to 1.3.1 and did what I thought was right and updated the firmware.

The camera's focus system went to crap. It was doing the wrong thing. Red box there, focus over there sort of thing. I've owned a lot of Canon's and know how to focus. I am confident this wasn't a user error. I sent a letter to Canon support and said "hey, I did a firmware update and now the camera's focus system is all wacked. I've owned a bunch of Canon's and know how to focus. This one's on you." They sent me a Courtesy Repair Request and a Courtesy mailing label and I sent it in to be corrected.

I called support today to find out where my camera was and was told that I owe them $235. Huh? So I went back and forth about standing behind their products and their firmware update and the Courtesy Repair Request form and they just kept saying "out of warranty - you will pay."

She also said that firmware updates are not backed by Canon unless the camera is sent in and Canon does the firmware update. I said is that in writing somewhere? I'd like to share that fact with others. She said that she wasn't sure if she could put her hands on that information. I said, uhhuh, I didn't think so.

I paid. I want my camera back. I'm not done fighting this one though. The supervisor CSR said she was the last word. I said, I'll find an executive to plead my case to.

Am I wrong here?

I posted this over on the Canon board too so you might see it repeated.

Jul 12, 2013 at 05:57 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Warning: Upgrading Canon Firmware May Cost You $235!

One question. What is Canon's definition of a courtesy repair request?

Jul 12, 2013 at 06:04 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Warning: Upgrading Canon Firmware May Cost You $235!

The last FW version I used was 1.3.0, May 2010. It worked fine.

You're not right and you're not wrong. I think that they owe you a refund for the fix, or maybe (and possibly of more value) a future freebie.

I had a similar but different situation about eight years ago. I sent in a 5D for repairs. It got pretty wet, and the shutter button stopped working. The initial response was that they found a thumb print on the back of the sensor, and I'd have to pay $1500 for a new sensor assembly, before they'd fix the shutter button.

I kicked this around for about two months. My best hope was the local Canon Certified repair shop. They agreed with me that this was 100% hokum - as if I'd get a thumb print on the back of the sensor. They had great connections with the mother ship, but to no avail.

About one day after I thought it was hopeless, I mentioned it to the owner of my local photo shop, where I bought most of my Canon gear. He said, I'll call the regional VP Sales. Next day, it was fixed. At least the objections were dropped and soon after, it came home. Shutter button fixed.

I don't know if it still has a thumb print on the back of the sensor, but I can guarantee that if it does, it's not mine, nor my daughter's, who currently uses it.

Lesson (no surprise): it's not what you know, it's who you know.

Good luck with this.

P.S. this is the Canon forum.

P.P.S. this is why I buy most of my new gear through a local shop; they generally match prices, and they're there for you when the chips go down.

Jul 12, 2013 at 06:15 PM
SLD
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Warning: Upgrading Canon Firmware May Cost You $235!

No, I don't think Canon should charge anything for upgrading camera's firmware in normal situation, but if you send in your camera and ask for FW upgrading, yes, Canon has to spend manpower to receiving, upgrading and sending it back etc. so there's the charge, even so $235 is still too much.

But if you screwed it up during the FW updating process, and send the camera to Canon, the chances are you have to pay for the work Canon will do in order to flash your camera with the FW.

FW update process is very straight forward and easy as long as you follow the instruction, not sure how it could go wrong without interrupting the FW upgrading process ...

It's the same FW 1.3.1 no matter who installed it on the camera it's FW 1.3.1 and has nothing to do with the crapping AF behavior etc. it should be the same unless the FW upgrading process was interrupted or you had a corrupted FW file. or may be the camera has issue etc..

Any way, just my 2 cents, and good luck to get the JUSTIS back

BTW-- can you post what exactly Canon did for your camera from your service document?

Jul 12, 2013 at 07:26 PM
David Levinson
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Warning: Upgrading Canon Firmware May Cost You $235!

Thanks for your responses.

Regional VP of Sales. That sounds like a good place to start on Monday.

Firmware user error: It seemed to go fine and uninterrupted and the problems did start right after the update. "If you hear hoof beats, think horses sort of thought process."

Anyway, I won't troll this to death here but I will read comments from others if they come.

http://www.davidlevinsonphotography.com/photos/i-2WWzQ7q/1/L/Canonest-L.jpg

Jul 12, 2013 at 07:46 PM
SLD
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Warning: Upgrading Canon Firmware May Cost You $235!

so based on the DESCRIPTION, $219 labor is not for the FW upgrade.
as described "FOCUS ISSUE", that's what cost you $219.
you may ask them how the normal FW update could cause the FOCUS ISSUE.

you deserve a detailed explanation what they have done for the FOCUS ISSUE repair..

also as 1D III has many AF repair recalls, if the FOCUS ISSUE is related with one of them you should get your money back.

good luck.

Jul 12, 2013 at 07:57 PM
harrygilbert
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Warning: Upgrading Canon Firmware May Cost You $235!

Canon now charges "flat rates" for repair labor.

Jul 12, 2013 at 08:12 PM
Phazed
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Warning: Upgrading Canon Firmware May Cost You $235!

I have bought all my Canon gear from local shops except for my 1DMkIII and a couple of used lenses. They know and have access to the sales rep.

Jul 12, 2013 at 08:49 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Warning: Upgrading Canon Firmware May Cost You $235!

Did you try to reinstall the FW update? I had one that behaved strange so I tried it again and it was fine. I don't know if it was my fault, Canon's or the result of sunspot activity. However, I would expect to pay if I decided to send an out of warranty camera to Canon for repair.

Jul 12, 2013 at 08:59 PM
austin.grant
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Warning: Upgrading Canon Firmware May Cost You $235!

I agree with Gochugogi here. Out of warranty and pretty old, they don't really owe you anything. I suppose the lesson is simple: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Always check what a firmware update supposedly enhances or repairs, and confirm that it's a problem you are experiencing or a feature you need. You said yourself it worked fine, so why change anything?

Hopefully you'll get it back in great condition again, take thousands of great pics with it and this minor snag will fade from your memory.

Jul 12, 2013 at 09:29 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Warning: Upgrading Canon Firmware May Cost You $235!

It sounds to me like a physical issue, not a firmware issue. Ask for more details about the fix.

Jul 12, 2013 at 09:48 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Warning: Upgrading Canon Firmware May Cost You $235!

I have a 1DMKIII. The firmware is at version 1.2.5

I can't find any link as to what has been 'fixed' from 1.2.5 to 1.3.0 but I'm leery of doing updates for the sake of doing updates.

If the camera has problems, I'm not experiencing them.

I don't remember having to punch in the camera serial number to get firmware updates from Canon in the past. Are there knock-off Chinese fakes on the market?

Jul 12, 2013 at 09:55 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Warning: Upgrading Canon Firmware May Cost You $235!

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
I have a 1DMKIII. The firmware is at version 1.2.5

I can't find any link as to what has been 'fixed' from 1.2.5 to 1.3.0 but I'm leery of doing updates for the sake of doing updates.

If the camera has problems, I'm not experiencing them.

I don't remember having to punch in the camera serial number to get firmware updates from Canon in the past. Are there knock-off Chinese fakes on the market?

Yes you have to input the serial number to download the firmware. Here is a link with the firmware and what's been fixed
http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eos1dm3/firmware.html

Jul 13, 2013 at 01:09 AM
austin.grant
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Warning: Upgrading Canon Firmware May Cost You $235!

No, that's not the most recent version. He used the latest one, 1.3.1, discussed here: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1216185/0?keyword=1d,mark,iv#11584199

Mainly an update for the 200-400mm lens with a 1.4x TC. I remember people complaining about it killing support for some aftermarket batteries. I didn't update my 1DIV.

Jul 13, 2013 at 01:29 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Warning: Upgrading Canon Firmware May Cost You $235!

austin.grant wrote:
No, that's not the most recent version. He used the latest one, 1.3.1, discussed here: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1216185/0?keyword=1d,mark,iv#11584199

Mainly an update for the 200-400mm lens with a 1.4x TC. I remember people complaining about it killing support for some aftermarket batteries. I didn't update my 1DIV.

I know But shutterbug asked about the 1.3.0 version. Which I also had in the quote. I have the 1.3.1 in my own 1DIII

Jul 13, 2013 at 01:53 AM
Mike V
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Warning: Upgrading Canon Firmware May Cost You $235!

Why didn't you just roll the firmware back to the version you liked?

Jul 14, 2013 at 08:18 AM
stan23
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Warning: Upgrading Canon Firmware May Cost You $235!

do you have a stock or aftermarket battery?

Jul 14, 2013 at 06:45 PM
David Levinson
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Warning: Upgrading Canon Firmware May Cost You $235!

The battery's stock. I was aware of the rumor that upgrading firmware would address counterfeit battery concerns by Canon.

I bought a new 1DX this weekend with a new warranty this weekend. I'll use the 1D3 as a backup or sell it. I haven't decided.

Now I'll have to send a note of congratulations to some Canon executive to let them know my story and to tell them that my customer service experience was so bad and unacceptable that I bought their top of the line camera just so they can abuse me some more.

Jul 14, 2013 at 07:38 PM
DLP
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Warning: Upgrading Canon Firmware May Cost You $235!

"She also said that firmware updates are not backed by Canon unless the camera is sent in and Canon does the firmware update. I said is that in writing somewhere? I'd like to share that fact with others"

Just a friendly FYI ... If you read the fine print any time you do a firmware update you will see that disclaimer.
I think the service price was too high but I also think it's unrealistic to expect free service on an out of warranty product.

Dave

Jul 15, 2013 at 06:07 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.