Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · panning on a monopod...head or no?

Kyyo24
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · panning on a monopod...head or no?

next weekend ill be shooting motorcycles (not professionally), ill have a 300mm with a 1.7tc. the lens doesnt have VR ( IS for you canon losers :P ) so at 500mm on a crop body any movement is going to show. for head on shots i wasnt planning on using any head but for side shots where i need to pan, is it better to use one for vertical shake? some spots on the side of the track have hills where id be standing so i wont be on a flat surface the entire time.

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · panning on a monopod...head or no?

Hand Hold... Bikes are quick... and very dynamic...

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Kyyo24
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · panning on a monopod...head or no?

i actually did that last year but i was using a 1.4 on my 300mm and i felt like i was pushing it with the SS for hand holding 400mm without any vr. using the rule of thumb id need 1/800 minimum to prevent camera shake but at the speed i think it would freeze the wheels too much

Jul 12, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · panning on a monopod...head or no?

Canon 5Dc + Canon 300 f4L IS @ f/10... ISO 200... SS 1/125... spot metering... center focal point... manual exposure mode... hand held...

http://jeffersonposter.smugmug.com/Category/WERA-13/i-K6dGGW9/0/X2/WERA%20%2713-26-X2.jpg

The IS is on, but doesn't play much part in a pan... smoothness and control are what counts in a pan...

I also use that lens on a 1.6 crop with a 1.4x hand held for pans... places I can't get close enough to...

Jul 12, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · panning on a monopod...head or no?

This pan might be hard on a monopod... looking down as the bike passes below you...

5Dc + 300 f/4L IS @ f/11... ISO 100... SS 1/200... spot metering... center FP... manual exposure mode... hand held

http://jeffersonposter.smugmug.com/Category/WERA-13/i-QdhxbrM/0/X2/WERA%20%2713-225-X2.jpg

Jul 12, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Kyyo24
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · panning on a monopod...head or no?

thats with IS though right? this lens doesnt have that...

Jul 13, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Kyyo24
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · panning on a monopod...head or no?

i havent shot at 500mm before, is there much difference from 400? id hate to be carrying a monopod around all weekend. i have a fairly steady hand and decent technique, imo atleast.

Jul 13, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · panning on a monopod...head or no?

Shoot some with and some without...

Hand Hold...

http://jeffersonposter.smugmug.com/photos/i-sq7r3Zz/0/X2/SuperBike_09%2004%2003_0735_edited-1-X2.jpg

Several years before I got the 300, I shot with a Canon 200 f/2.8L and a 1.4x. No IS…

People will argue the point, but for pans… IS is not necessary…

The IS mode that is being used on those shots is mode 1… Horizontal… same direction as the pan… the lens is moving horizontal (for the most part), but in a smooth movement… the IS does not kick in. (You’ll know when the IS comes in with the Canon 300 f/4L IS… you feel it). Any shake or “too much coffee” type hesitation in the pan shot will show because you will come off target with a slow shutter speed… you will lose sharpness… IS or no IS… I know… I’ve done that…

Shooting an object coming at you at speed, you need a faster shutter speed just for the distance the object travels during the exposure… I go between 1/200 to maybe 1/320 (coming into a braking zone at 180mph or more)…

I shoot AI Servo (full time)

Jul 13, 2013 at 12:44 AM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · panning on a monopod...head or no?

I will play the opposite card here. If you have not panned motorsports before, I think starting with a monopod, without head, is a good place to start. As you get better or start finding the monopod is holding you back, then go without.

Jul 13, 2013 at 12:53 AM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · panning on a monopod...head or no?

Carl Auer wrote:
I will play the opposite card here. If you have not panned motorsports before, I think starting with a monopod, without head, is a good place to start. As you get better or start finding the monopod is holding you back, then go without.

I've never used a mono pod... so I can't speak to it's use... for head on shots no problem... but for pans... Try it...

I've seen people with mono pods on camera bodies and 85mm glass... never saw their photos....

It does take practice...

Jul 13, 2013 at 01:00 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kyyo24
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · panning on a monopod...head or no?

Carl Auer wrote:

ive always panned with motorsports handheld but that was with cheaper lenses (70-300) that had VR; last year was the first time i actually used a monopod and thats only because the 300mm lens didnt have VR. it was ok but it started to get annoying/in the way so i just put it away lol

Jul 13, 2013 at 01:11 AM
ggOk
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · panning on a monopod...head or no?

for panning, I only use mono without head if the weight of the lens is an issue.

Jul 13, 2013 at 04:08 PM
rolette
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · panning on a monopod...head or no?

Jefferson wrote:
The IS mode that is being used on those shots is mode 1… Horizontal… same direction as the pan… the lens is moving horizontal (for the most part), but in a smooth movement… the IS does not kick in. (You’ll know when the IS comes in with the Canon 300 f/4L IS… you feel it). Any shake or “too much coffee” type hesitation in the pan shot will show because you will come off target with a slow shutter speed… you will lose sharpness… IS or no IS… I know… I’ve done that…

Shouldn't that be mode 2?

Jul 14, 2013 at 01:17 PM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · panning on a monopod...head or no?

Mode 2 is for panning.... correct... Mode 1 is used mostly for stills...

Mode 2 corrects for vertical shake when shooting horizontal and corrects for horizontal shake when shooting vertical...

Mode 1 corrects for shake in all directions... for shooting stills for the most part...

My point is that IS is of little use for pans... If I shoot a car... bike... that has gone off track and is still... I like to have Mode 1 active... I may only shoot a few frames of the still and then pick up action shots very quickly... I like the IS when I want it... but it's not needed on pans...

Jul 14, 2013 at 04:07 PM
pzoos

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · panning on a monopod...head or no?

i love this motorbikes wish they were mine

Jul 14, 2013 at 06:12 PM
Stripper
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · panning on a monopod...head or no?

I shoot motorsport for a living (not getting rich) and I think the answer to your question is first that you can take good bike shots both pan and head-on both with and without a monopod. Second, I don't know anyone who uses a head on a monopod...for anything.

I use lenses from a fisheye to the 600 f4 for on track shots. I never use a monopod with anything 300 or under. For anything over 300....sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. I don't remember ever intentionally using VR when panning but I know people who do. The secret to getting good shots both with and without is that there is no secret. It is all about technique and what you are trying to get. In-other-words, with or without you can develop the skills to take good pictures. There is no "correct" way to do this.

I basically agree with Carl Auer, above, about taking a monopod. Take pictures both ways and just try to get comfortable. I guess I tend to use the pod more for head-ons with the longer glass and less for side action pans. With head-ons you need less swing....why wear out your arms?

Here are a few of my Moto GP shots from last year's action at Indianapolis (links from the IMS website). The first one was shot from the top of a building panning down at the track with a monopod and no head (with a 400 f2.8 I think).

http://ims.cdn.racersites.com/prod/photos/349304/FULL.jpg

This second shot was shot hand held with a 500 f4 or a 600 f4.

http://ims.cdn.racersites.com/prod/photos/349302/FULL.jpg

This one was with a shorter lens, 200 maybe, hand held.

http://ims.cdn.racersites.com/prod/photos/349649/FULL.jpg

None of us is perfect and we all hopefully learn every time we go out. Go with a pod and shoot both ways. See what feels better. Sometimes just getting a few shots to come out is worth it.

JohnCote

Jul 16, 2013 at 02:51 AM
Kyyo24
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · panning on a monopod...head or no?

Well I ended up bringing my monopod but it just stayed attached to my bag the entire time. I was able to get some good shots handheld down to 1/200. For shits and giggles I turned it down to 1/80 and a couple decent ones as they powered out of the slower corners.

Jul 22, 2013 at 01:33 AM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · panning on a monopod...head or no?

Post a few...

Hop you had fun...

Jul 22, 2013 at 02:01 AM
Kyyo24
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · panning on a monopod...head or no?

Jul 22, 2013 at 03:51 AM
Kyyo24
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · panning on a monopod...head or no?

Jul 22, 2013 at 04:40 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password