Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Discovering actuations -- model by model

MaunaKea7007

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Discovering actuations -- model by model

I have a couple of 1DsMk3 bodies and understand that there is no "civilian" (non-Canon-repair-facility) tool for reading either body or shutterbox shutter releases. I also have a 5DMk3 from last summer. There's an old 30D here, too.

What other tools exist for reading shutter counts that work with the 5D series or any others? I have no reason to doubt people from whom I bought my 1D bodies. Just would love to track this.

jonathan7007

Jul 12, 2013 at 08:17 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Discovering actuations -- model by model

MaunaKea7007 wrote:
I have a couple of 1DsMk3 bodies and understand that there is no "civilian" (non-Canon-repair-facility) tool for reading either body or shutterbox shutter releases. I also have a 5DMk3 from last summer. There's an old 30D here, too.

What other tools exist for reading shutter counts that work with the 5D series or any others? I have no reason to doubt people from whom I bought my 1D bodies. Just would love to track this.

jonathan7007

Magic Lantern firmware if they make it for the model.

Jul 13, 2013 at 01:57 AM
Andrew J
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Discovering actuations -- model by model

That is right, nothing works on 1DMKIII or 1DsIII. Focal PRO gives the count on every other body with Micro Adjustment.

Jul 13, 2013 at 01:58 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #4 · Discovering actuations -- model by model

I'll bet the shutter count is recorded in raw files, just like the Camera Body Serial Number is; I guess only Canon knows for sure.

Jul 13, 2013 at 03:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Discovering actuations -- model by model

FoCal is the best that I have used. And you don't have to buy the Pro version. The other lower priced versions of FoCal also have the same info

Jul 13, 2013 at 06:21 AM
winman3
• •
p.1 #6 · Discovering actuations -- model by model

I may be way off here BUT if your camera is not set to start counting images from zero with every card re-format or card insertion, i.e. it is set to keep counting to 99,999 or something, would the last number displayed under info be the number of shutter snaps?

I sold a couple of cameras and used this number as the "shutter actuations".

Is the above correct?

TIA

Jul 16, 2013 at 04:56 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Discovering actuations -- model by model

winman3 wrote:
I may be way off here BUT if your camera is not set to start counting images from zero with every card re-format or card insertion, i.e. it is set to keep counting to 99,999 or something, would the last number displayed under info be the number of shutter snaps?

I sold a couple of cameras and used this number as the "shutter actuations".

Is the above correct?

TIA

I'm not really sure I understand what you are writing here But the number on the pics, have nothing to do with the actual shutter count. You can't be sure it's the same even if you let the camera keep on counting every time you insert a card. You are not sure the camera was at zero when you bought it. And you can also use it without inserting a card. And it will start at zero again after a while.
The Focal software is good and works to check it. And you can use a lower priced version (non Pro version) also

Jul 16, 2013 at 05:08 AM
Chumma
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · Discovering actuations -- model by model

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
I'll bet the shutter count is recorded in raw files, just like the Camera Body Serial Number is; I guess only Canon knows for sure.

No, according to the file format published here:

http://lclevy.free.fr/cr2/

Jul 16, 2013 at 12:36 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password