Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Dogfood for the soul

OntheRez
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dogfood for the soul

I'm sure I'll have a person or two pop me for being "off topic and/or wrong forum." Still it seems to me anything that expands our understanding or ability to photograph can be useful to at least some of us. "Technology" is not just equipment, it is also how we order and execute our thinking. Since I shoot Canon, this is my community.

The NYTimes Lens blog has yet another provocative piece challenging how, what, and why we shoot. It is a group of Turkish photographers rebelling against the formalism of their culture's view of our art - a view that I would say is also prominent around here.

Read it if you wish - I was intrigued, amazed, irritated by their work - and tell me to go away if you wish. I found the court scenes terrifyingly hilarious. Oh, and it includes stills from a major movie that the Turkish government not only banned but burned every copy of the negatives. Somehow I don't think the decision was based upon lack of artistic merit.

Robert

Jul 12, 2013 at 03:12 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dogfood for the soul

OntheRez wrote:
I'm sure I'll have a person or two pop me for being "off topic and/or wrong forum." Still it seems to me anything that expands our understanding or ability to photograph can be useful to at least some of us.

Yep; wrong sub-forum. Since this could expand the understanding or ability to photograph by Nikon, Sony, Leica, et al users every bit as much as Canon users it should probably be in one of the more brand-neutral fora.

Jul 12, 2013 at 07:15 PM
jimmy462
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dogfood for the soul

OntheRez wrote:
our art

Hi Robert,

I'll start early...To whom are you referring? The facial reconstructionists doing portraiture? The collagists doing landscapes? Or, maybe the reportagists doing birds? Etc, etc. I am perplexed by the meaning that some folks put to the word, photography. Tis truly a tower of babel we inhabit.

Jimmy G

Jul 12, 2013 at 08:09 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dogfood for the soul

BrianO wrote:
Yep; wrong sub-forum. Since this could expand the understanding or ability to photograph by Nikon, Sony, Leica, et al users every bit as much as Canon users...

Are you sure about that? Nikon users. Really! ...

Jul 12, 2013 at 08:12 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password