p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Discussing terms for sports photography

i would like some drinks with it.

Jul 14, 2013 at 01:15 PM
CW100
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Discussing terms for sports photography

schlotz wrote:
The "tip off" was the OP's comment about not doing this for a living and the above is an excellent response that hits the heart of the matter.

IMHO, there is a hard line between "improving your skills" and blatantly intruding in another's livelihood. The excuse that everyone has to start somewhere is poor justification to what this type of action has done to degrade and lower the earning potential of professionally working photographers.

One can morally work on improving their skills without infringing upon the livelihood of others. We were all taught as children to respect others and somehow
...Show more

I suppose you could look at that way but really, is photography like engineering or accounting or dentistry or plumbing or (pick a profession)? Does it take years of study, special tests or difficult degrees? Does any government agency want to license photographers for public safety?
As an accountant I suppose I could get mad if someone uses Quickbooks for taxes or accounting but I don't care. And I know people that volunteer their services during tax season for free and I still don't get upset. Perhaps they "degrade their profession" or are immoral for doing a service for free but maybe, just maybe, photography might not be like some other professions. There could be some differences. I've even heard of lawyers giving free legal advice - now that's crazy!
Just a thought, of course others may disagree

Jul 14, 2013 at 06:18 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Discussing terms for sports photography

I continue to maintain that I don't care that people want to give away their work for free. It's going to happen no matter what. What bothers me is that they come here to get advice from the working folk on how to do it.

Jul 14, 2013 at 08:06 PM
Fish On
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Discussing terms for sports photography

P Alesse: "I continue to maintain that I don't care that people want to give away their work for free. It's going to happen no matter what. What bothers me is that they come here to get advice from the working folk on how to do it."

+1 . Hit the nail on the head.

Jul 15, 2013 at 09:26 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.