Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Eyepiece vs. eye cup (5DII)

gheller
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Eyepiece vs. eye cup (5DII)

Aloha from Hawaii.

Anyone want to chime in on this?

Lost my eyepiece and was wondering if I should replace with the original eyepiece or move to an eyecup for my 5D II

thanks

greg

Jul 12, 2013 at 03:39 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Eyepiece vs. eye cup (5DII)

If you shoot in bright light--e.g., white sand beaches, strong side light, etc.--an eyecup shields and isolates your eye really well. It's also very comfy. The main gotcha is most eyecups cover the top edge of the LCD and snag on your bag as you pull it out.

Jul 12, 2013 at 04:28 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Eyepiece vs. eye cup (5DII)

I keep an "eyecup" in my bag, but use it only very rarely. I've lost a couple of "eyepieces" over the years, and always replace them with OEM parts.

BTW, the Canon "eyepiece cover" is called an "eyecup", see pages 7 and 100 of your 5DII manual.

Jul 12, 2013 at 11:48 AM
GammyKnee

p.1 #4 · Eyepiece vs. eye cup (5DII)

I've got a Hoodman eyecup on my 7D, and just the standard eyepiece on my 5DII.

The Hoodman is shaped which means its particularly good at blocking extraneous light and I find it cuts down on LCD nose-grease a bit. But.. when I'm switching from landscape to portrait orientation I have to swivel the rubber part of it round 90 degrees otherwise it gets in the way, and as already stated it does block the LCD a bit when viewing from above. On the whole I have to say I don't feel motivated to get one for my 5DII.

I guess it's one of those very subjective, personal things. The only way you'll really know if you like it is to try one...

Jul 12, 2013 at 01:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JimboCin
• • •
p.1 #5 · Eyepiece vs. eye cup (5DII)

I got one (two actually - one for each of my cameras). I really liked it for the reasons others have noted above.

I no longer use them. I shoot sports and events and switch the camera from portrait to landscape quite often and quickly. The Hoodman does not lend itself to this type of shooting. I can't take the time to always be rotating it, and if it is in the wrong position I greatly prefer using the stock Canon.

So I guess it depends on the type of shooting you do.

Jim

Jul 12, 2013 at 01:50 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Eyepiece vs. eye cup (5DII)

great info.

as for using the OEM one... why?

I found an aftermarket one for a couple bucks each:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eyepiece-EyeCup-EB-for-Canon-EOS-10D-20D-30D-40D-50D-60D-5D-5D-mark-II-5DII-10S-/330660361410?pt=US_Viewfinders_Eyecups&hash=item4cfce4b4c2

(not the one I bought, but similar - mine was based in the US)

if it fits, OEM serves no purpose here IMO

greg

Jul 15, 2013 at 12:16 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · Eyepiece vs. eye cup (5DII)

gheller wrote:
...if it fits, OEM serves no purpose here IMO

I have a different opinion.

Jul 15, 2013 at 02:01 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell