New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Fixed the most annoying thing about my D600

Fingerstyle78
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fixed the most annoying thing about my D600

I'm sure many of you know this but for those that don't that are annoyed by the same issue, hopefully here is your fix.

I hate how you have the use two hands to change the ISO. It's a pretty stupid setup compared to the D800, especially if you are shooting in the dark. The fix is easy though. Just program your FN button to change ISO to whatever you like. when you press the function button your live view screen will open up and you can select your iso with the joystick/whatever you want to call it. Not quite as easy as a D700/D800 but it made me a lot happier.

1. Custom Menu settings > controls > assign function button > access top item in MY MENU

2. MY MENU > ISO sensitivity > select your default ISO.

Now when you press function it defaults to your ISO selection, but the menu in live view is open so you can select whatever you want. I like to leave mine at the highest ISO I'm willing to shoot and move down from there if possible.

Hope this helps some of you that are coming from the pro style bodies and are too annoyed to screw around with the D600 menu interface.

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:18 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fixed the most annoying thing about my D600

I've never minded having to use 2 hands to change iso....Muscle memory, my friend....muscle memory. That, and i've never been in a situation where i HAD to drop or raise my iso SO FAST, that i coudnt do the same thing quicker with my SS or Aperture...typically that situation would be like, i just walked out of the church shooting at 1600, and run outside and have to shoot at 100, but i forgot...so i just spin my dial from 1/125, up to like 1/1600 or so, in about 2.5 seconds..

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fixed the most annoying thing about my D600

Programming the Fn button is a good way to satisfy many a craving ! For me I converted the AE-L to AF-On and moved AE-L to the Fn button. 90% of the time I am in Manual so set a fixed aperture/shutter speed and use Auto ISO, setting whatever the max I want for that particular shoot.

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Fingerstyle78
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fixed the most annoying thing about my D600

NathanHamler wrote:
I've never minded having to use 2 hands to change iso....Muscle memory, my friend....muscle memory. That, and i've never been in a situation where i HAD to drop or raise my iso SO FAST, that i coudnt do the same thing quicker with my SS or Aperture...typically that situation would be like, i just walked out of the church shooting at 1600, and run outside and have to shoot at 100, but i forgot...so i just spin my dial from 1/125, up to like 1/1600 or so, in about 2.5 seconds..

I hear you, but for me in the winter I shoot mostly aurora at night in -50. I've pressed the wrong button before because I had gloves on and didn't see that I switched from RAW to JPEG on accident before actually changing the ISO. I didn't noticed until I got home and noticed I had a bunch of JPEGs which are pretty much wasted shots for me.

Also doing night sky/aurora photos limits me to pretty specific f/stops and shutter speeds because I want to eliminate coma in stars, minimize noise and in some cases prevent star trails. Again it comes down to your purposes. For a wedding on a 70 degree day, I see what you are saying.

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:54 PM
zippy_monster
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fixed the most annoying thing about my D600

NathanHamler wrote:

I'm with you. It took two hands to change ISO with the D200. But the ISO button was a dedicated button and it worked just fine. The problem (for me) with the D600 is that you have to ensure that you're not reviewing the last image when you want to change the ISO. Plus, I've already got the function button assigned (non-CPU lens) and the DoF preview button assigned (level). What else can I reassign?

Ergonomically the D600 is a bigger step down from the D200 than I thought it would be. ISO/white balance, zooming, custom settings. The lack of shooting mode in either the viewfinder or top LCD. Even with SanDisk UHS-1 cards, slogging through images on the D600 is painfully slow.

Jul 12, 2013 at 01:48 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fixed the most annoying thing about my D600

Yeah, that never bothered me either. Changing ISO on all of the Nikons is always a 2 hand operation that I can recall.

Now if you can fix so that pressing the center button on the control pad causes the D600 to zoom in the LCD 100% like on the D800 or D7100, then you will have me interested... and would get you onto my Christmas list...

Jim

Jul 12, 2013 at 02:47 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fixed the most annoying thing about my D600

JimFox wrote:
Yeah, that never bothered me either. Changing ISO on all of the Nikons is always a 2 hand operation that I can recall.

Now if you can fix so that pressing the center button on the control pad causes the D600 to zoom in the LCD 100% like on the D800 or D7100, then you will have me interested... and would get you onto my Christmas list...

Jim

+1 !

For what it's worth, I have my rear command dial set-up to change ISO.

Jul 12, 2013 at 05:18 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fixed the most annoying thing about my D600

Yup! Easy ISO came on the scene over 2 1/2 yrs ago with the release of the D7K
One can simply roll your thumb (even in the dark) to change ISO....it's EASY and on all the recent bodies.

Jul 12, 2013 at 06:05 AM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fixed the most annoying thing about my D600

trenchmonkey wrote:
Yup! Easy ISO came on the scene over 2 1/2 yrs ago with the release of the D7K
One can simply roll your thumb (even in the dark) to change ISO....it's EASY and on all the recent bodies.

+1

Easy ISO function rocks big time!

Jul 12, 2013 at 06:15 AM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fixed the most annoying thing about my D600

I love Easy ISO and I use it a lot! I was really bummed when I got the D4 and it doesn't have that feature.

Jul 12, 2013 at 09:33 AM
krickett
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fixed the most annoying thing about my D600

+2 Easy ISO beats all other setups

Jul 12, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fixed the most annoying thing about my D600

D4 allows you to change the record button to control ISO so you can control everything with one hand and no menus.

Jul 12, 2013 at 01:02 PM
Fingerstyle78
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fixed the most annoying thing about my D600

Isn't easy ISO a result of shooting in aperture priority or shutter priority? Or is there some other way to set it up?

Jul 12, 2013 at 01:13 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fixed the most annoying thing about my D600

Fingerstyle78 wrote:
Isn't easy ISO a result of shooting in aperture priority or shutter priority? Or is there some other way to set it up?

Read page 229 in the manual.

Jul 12, 2013 at 02:11 PM
richuwo11

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fixed the most annoying thing about my D600

zippy_monster wrote:
I'm with you. It took two hands to change ISO with the D200. But the ISO button was a dedicated button and it worked just fine. The problem (for me) with the D600 is that you have to ensure that you're not reviewing the last image when you want to change the ISO.

Turn off the image preview while shooting option and it shouldn't be a problem.

Jul 12, 2013 at 02:23 PM
Fingerstyle78
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fixed the most annoying thing about my D600

I always shoot in manual. I should probably take advantage of the priority modes more than I do.

Jul 12, 2013 at 02:45 PM
JRT64
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fixed the most annoying thing about my D600

Everyone has to find a setup they're comfortable with. I prefer to use the main command dial for Easy Exposure Compensation. Since I am always in Aperture Priority, adjusting exposure compensation with the main command dial is just changing the shutter speed, as it would in manual mode except I am always starting with the camera's estimate of correct exposure.

I also monitor the shutter speed, but I use auto-iso most of the time, so that keeps the SS up.

I don't mind using the iso button to change iso, and I like that it is the bottom button on the LHS since I can find it easily w/o looking.

Edited on Jul 14, 2013 at 05:39 PM · View previous versions

Jul 12, 2013 at 03:00 PM
Fingerstyle78
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fixed the most annoying thing about my D600

JRT64 wrote:
Everyone has to find a setup they're comfortable with. I prefer to use the main command dial for Easy Exposure Compensation. Since I am always in Aperture Priority, adjusting exposure compensation with the main command dial is just changing the shutter speed, as it would in manual mode except I am always starting with the camera's estimate of correct exposure.

I also monitor the shutter speed, but I use auto-iso most of the time, so that keeps the SS up.

I don't mind using the iso button to change iso, and I like that is the bottom button on the LHS since
...Show more
Yeah my problem was working with gloves in the dark of night shooting aurora. I accidentally switched image quality to JPEG and ruined my entire shoot one time and the lights were awesome that night. So since then I had been meaning to find a fix and only just got around to it. I can't wait for the sun to go away in another month, can't wait to get out and shoot. We are in the solar peak this year.

Jul 12, 2013 at 03:19 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Fixed the most annoying thing about my D600

I shoot my exposures in manual 99% of the time so Easy ISO does not help me much ... but then again, I tend to set my ISO to the situation and use aperature and shutter speed to set my exposure. ISO is as low as it can be and is the last thing I adjust so the 2-button approach is just fine for me.

If I shot in A or S mode more often, I would use Easy ISO for sure.

Besides, with a quick pull of the on/off switch towards the "on" direction, the top display lights up and you can see what you are doing. I'm not sure what the big deal is ... I was shooting in a dark cave the other day with no issue. Shoot outside with gloves on all the time too.

Jul 12, 2013 at 04:10 PM
Fingerstyle78
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Fixed the most annoying thing about my D600

The problem for me is accidentally toggling the image quality button instead of adjusting ISO switching from RAW to JPEG. It's happened to me before but now I have fixed the issue with the function button. It won't happen again.

Jul 12, 2013 at 04:19 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.