Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Building a new computer....

theSuede
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Building a new computer....

Aversions against Win8 is mostly press- and review-site driven. I've heard lots of people taking a shot at win8 without having even tried it...

That build suggested above seems like a very rational mix/match.

If I should mention two things standing out as obvious upgrades:
* Get a larger system SSD! 128BG won't last you far.
* Get one step faster memory sticks.

Of those two, the 250/256GB SSD is the main money sink, but well worth it.

To save money (or rather "postpone spendings") You could go with the 128GB disk, and buy a new 256GB next year, while doing a fresh system install. Relegate the smaller drive to PSE scratch disk and cache disk/swap-file disk.

Jul 14, 2013 at 01:34 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Building a new computer....

John S. Hudson wrote:
I don't really want to use it, but 8.1 is supposed to be a lot better, and it supports a lot of RAM, plus its supposed to be pretty fast as an OS...I'll probably learn to like it. I mean, can't use 7 forever.

I suffered and fought with 8 enough to know it's not for me. Win 7 Pro handles 192GB RAM, which is probably more than you will need.

EBH

Jul 14, 2013 at 05:42 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Building a new computer....

theSuede wrote:
Aversions against Win8 is mostly press- and review-site driven. I've heard lots of people taking a shot at win8 without having even tried it...

Everyone I know who has tried win 8 doesn't like it. I haven't tried it yet myself though.

Jul 14, 2013 at 07:12 AM
Access
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Building a new computer....

About win8, the word-of-mouth I get is bad enough.

Friends not being able to run games or anything because everything is broken, OS being disruptive or annoying while trying to do something productive with the computer, showing up at a LAN party and being unable to play any game, being unable to use skype or any other useful app, etc.

From what people tell me, it's basically a tablet geared OS on a PC, not designed for productivity or ease of use (with a mouse and keyboard) or anything else.

I may have never used win8, but word of mouth is king for me, and it's killing it. That is, when enough people I know or trust their judgement have had bad (direct) experience with it, I don't want to touch it either.

Jul 14, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ho1972
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Building a new computer....

^FUD

Jul 14, 2013 at 11:40 AM
John S. Hudson
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Building a new computer....

I have heard a lot of that as well. However, isn't 8.1 supposed to address a lot of the concerns? As long as it runs normal programs I'm sure it will be fine...

Jul 14, 2013 at 01:23 PM
aubsxc
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Building a new computer....

I use 8 side by side with 7. I have no issues with 8 once I made a few changes to the user interface and got used to it. If I were forced to choose one or another I would probably stick with 7, but only because it is a mature OS with pretty much all the kinks ironed out, while 8 likely still needs some work. Win 7 is an amazing OS that can hold its own with the best out there in terms of usability and stability, and 8 provides only incremental improvements at its core with an incredibly stupid default user interface on a mouse/keyboard setup, which, thankfully, can be fixed with little effort.

Jul 14, 2013 at 03:07 PM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password