Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Canon Repair Costs

bigbluebear
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon Repair Costs

Hi,

I thought it might be useful to have a central database of the flat repair fees charged by canon so that other forum members can have some sort of estimate before sending their gear into canon. Again, these are estimates and your actual fees may be more or less.

To be useful, we should include date, item, your description of the problem, Canon's generic description, and charge. I listed the charge before discounts since our discount %s can vary depending on our level of membership.

7/11/13

- Canon 5D Mark II - The digital display on my viewfinder was acting funky and sensor had TONs of hot pixels. Canon's description is "out of warranty standard labor charge." Charge was $219.

- Canon 24-70mm version 1 - Images were soft. Canon's description is "out of warranty standard labor charge." Charge was $269.

Jul 11, 2013 at 09:11 PM
David Levinson
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon Repair Costs

Ha, just wrote a post about something like this.

7/12/13

- Canon 1DMKIII - Focus system acting wrong after firmware update. Canon's description is "out of warranty standard labor charge." $219 plus shipping.

Jul 12, 2013 at 11:05 PM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon Repair Costs

I find it interesting that the standard labor charge can be less expensive for bodies than lenses even though the bodies are more expensive.

Jul 12, 2013 at 11:08 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon Repair Costs

bigbluebear wrote:
I find it interesting that the standard labor charge can be less expensive for bodies than lenses even though the bodies are more expensive.

Optics are more 'sensitive'.

Jul 12, 2013 at 11:21 PM
SLD
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon Repair Costs

bigbluebear wrote:

It depends on what they will do with your lens and camera body

Jul 13, 2013 at 12:47 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon Repair Costs

bigbluebear wrote:

Bodies are actually simpler to work on than lenses in most cases - the physical disassembly reassembly is quicker.

Body diagnosis is much quicker and simpler (if you have the service center software). The tech generally knows what will be necessary before the first screw is removed. Lenses have to be disassembled and examined, often piece by piece.

Body calibration is 99.9% computerized - plug in the computer aim at the proper machines, tell computer 'start'. Lens calibration requires testing, physically adjusting things, and retesting.

I suspect these same reasons are why 'back to repair' rates are much higher for lenses than cameras.

Jul 13, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon Repair Costs

Recent repair 5/2013

Canon 1.4TC II bent locking pin (the tiny one that the release engages and disengages) to lock lens onto TC..............$90

Here is an interesting one, called in with Err code on 1D MKIII won't focus but won't take picture. Was told that 'I believe this will be a No Charge repair on this body. Sent it in, got email quote for $235 for repair which did not mention at all what was being fixed? Called in spoke to person and mentioned I was originally told this was 'likely' to be a N/C repair..............one moment please she says then comes back on the phone and says NO CHARGE Always ask if you have been told one thing by someone else just to be sure.

Karl

Jul 13, 2013 at 12:39 PM
gcuff
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon Repair Costs

Repair May 29, 2013 in Virginia:

Cause: Dropped 500mm f/4 II and 1dx whilst travelling in China. Camera and lens landed on back of camera thankfully. Damage to lens mount and mirror box on camera.

Lens: Labour $359, parts $61.19 + tax and shipping
Body: Labour $279, parts $405.10 + tax and shipping

Jul 14, 2013 at 05:02 PM
Aditya137

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon Repair Costs

May 15, 2013
5D MKII bent CF pin
Out of warranty labor $219
Overnight S&H $23

Jul 14, 2013 at 05:16 PM
castlekeeper01
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon Repair Costs

Great thread - very helpful. Thank you!

Jul 14, 2013 at 06:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon Repair Costs

Anybody sent in a lens for a sticky focusing ring that needs to be lubed?

Jul 14, 2013 at 09:16 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon Repair Costs

We should also be listing if we shipped it in, or dropped it off, and what CPS level (if any) we are.

Jul 14, 2013 at 09:21 PM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon Repair Costs

kodakeos wrote:
We should also be listing if we shipped it in, or dropped it off, and what CPS level (if any) we are.

Should these details make a difference on the fee charged? Since we are different cps levels, I'd be more interested in the charges before discount.

Edited on Jul 16, 2013 at 01:35 AM · View previous versions

Jul 14, 2013 at 10:17 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon Repair Costs

kodakeos wrote:

The repair costs are supposed to be the actual cost before CPS discounts. Don't know why shipping or dropping off your equipment would change the cost of the repair.

Jul 14, 2013 at 10:17 PM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon Repair Costs

bump to see if others have anything to add

Jul 18, 2013 at 01:00 AM
RileyJoseph
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon Repair Costs

Canon 50L.. making high pitched squeak while auto focusing from far to near.
$219.00 Service Fee
$11.45 Tax
$10.00 S&H
$240.45 Total

And that could change depending on what the issue is.. likely not for the good of my wallet.

Jul 18, 2013 at 04:38 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon Repair Costs

$219 for repairing the 50/1.2L is the CPS Canada service rate. It may be a coincidence if you got that estimate as a non-CPS member, I don't remember if you are. CPS Platinum members get 30% off these rates, and Gold get 20% off.

CPS Canada will fix just about any problem for the fixed-cost, except,

"Only products exhibiting corrosion or severe impact will be subject to a manual estimate".

I had a lens repaired for the CPS service rate when the repair estimate through my local shop was more than four times that (and my local shop is very honest).

I use the Purolator shipping labels provided by CPS Canada, and so I don't have to pay anything for S&H, in either direction.

Jul 18, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon Repair Costs

dropped my 24mm 1.4L II and it pretty much split in half

$269 labor
$61 parts

total was $350 after shipping/tax

Jul 18, 2013 at 01:43 PM
RileyJoseph
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon Repair Costs

jcolwell wrote:
$219 for repairing the 50/1.2L is the CPS Canada service rate. It may be a coincidence if you got that estimate as a non-CPS member, I don't remember if you are. CPS Platinum members get 30% off these rates, and Gold get 20% off.

CPS Canada will fix just about any problem for the fixed-cost, except,

I had a lens repaired for the CPS service rate when the repair estimate through my local shop was more than four times that (and my local shop is very honest).

I use the Purolator shipping labels provided by CPS Canada, and so I don't have
...Show more That was a non-CPS quote.. I'm not a member as I only have the one Canon body.
Those shipping costs would be return as I still have to ship the item to them at my cost. Hopefully it is a flat rate for it.. there was no impact or anything.
I have heard Nikon Service flagging most items as impact damage these days.

Jul 18, 2013 at 06:10 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon Repair Costs

scratched rear element of a 24-70 2.8L, and focus issues.
$269 for out of warranty repair - $201 after CPS gold. Dropped it off in Jamesburg.

Jul 22, 2013 at 06:45 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password