Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Massively Upset with PocketWizard TT5 (Nikon)

NathanHamler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Massively Upset with PocketWizard TT5 (Nikon)

I have ALL regular PocketWizards....a couple Plus Units, some Plus II's, and a Plus X....

SO, i trade a buddy 2 PW's (1 Plus receiver, 1 Plus II), for a Flex TT5....he needed two reg PW's, i needed (wanted) a TT5, to be able to do some hypersync work, as well as to use the little pass-through hotshot on top, for when i need to transmit to off camera flashes, and have a flash going on top....thought it would be cool to not have any sync cords on top, or have to velcro my PW to my flash anymore...

SO, i get the FlexTT5, bring it home start dialing in the Hypersync, b/c it takes a little dialing in when you're transmitting to REGULAR PW's....so i dial it in with my flashes, it works awesome, pretty stoked....

I test it out as a receiver on C1 and C2 configurations, to make sure i can just throw a flash on top and go, and it'll work as a basic PW....that works just great.

THEN, i decide to throw the TT5 on top of the camera, put an SB-600 on top of that, and make sure that it'll work just like how my PW setup used to.....Well, only the on camera flash will fire, and NOT trigger the off camera units....BUT, if hit the test button, it triggers both units just fine.....

SO, i decide, well, what the hell, i'll just set up C2 as a BASIC TRIGGER means it works just like a reg PW....no Control TL function....well, that made the Off Camera flash trigger, but now the flash on camera (on top of the TT5) doesn't communicate with the camera in any shape or form. So i get NO AF assist....So sure, i got what i wanted, but now it wont communicate with the flash on camera....I cant be without AF-Assist....

What the heck am i missing??

And dont anyone say "well the sb-600 isn't compatible with the FlexTT5"...that's not true, b/c when i put the SB-600 on top of the flex, which is on top of the camera, i get TTL communication through just fine....

Jul 11, 2013 at 03:58 PM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Massively Upset with PocketWizard TT5 (Nikon)

NathanHamler wrote:
THEN, i decide to throw the TT5 on top of the camera, put an SB-600 on top of that, and make sure that it'll work just like how my PW setup used to.....Well, only the on camera flash will fire, and NOT trigger the off camera units....BUT, if hit the test button, it triggers both units just fine.....

What the heck am i missing??

And dont anyone say "well the sb-600 isn't compatible with the FlexTT5"...that's not true, b/c when i put the SB-600 on top of the flex, which is on top of the camera, i get TTL communication through just
...Show more

Don't quote me on this but....

Your on camera flash should be used as a controller and as such should be used to control the other remotes. Your SB600 isn't a controller so "it won't work"

In the way you describe, not even a 'supported' flash would work the way you are trying to use your SB600.

Jul 11, 2013 at 05:25 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Massively Upset with PocketWizard TT5 (Nikon)

ukphotographer wrote:
Don't quote me on this but....

Your on camera flash should be used as a controller and as such should be used to control the other remotes. Your SB600 isn't a controller so "it won't work"

In the way you describe, not even a 'supported' flash would work the way you are trying to use your SB600.

i'm thinking that's pretty much the issue....i think it's stupid that PW built their OWN system, that BYPASSES the CLS system of Nikon, BUT, still relies on the "master/slave" switch on the back of the strobes.....

I know that the RadioPoppers PL system still uses infrared and converts it to radio waves and then back, but PW doesn't do ANY of that, so why even keep that part of the system??

I mean, it's not a total loss....the Hypersync function is cool, and this Flex will work as a receiver, no problem....so i guess that's my setup now....not as convenient as i'd hoped, but still do-able....

Jul 11, 2013 at 05:50 PM
mikejl29
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Massively Upset with PocketWizard TT5 (Nikon)

Don't use Master/Commander/Slave with the ControlTL flashes, just leave them in iTTL mode.

#" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">

#

Jul 11, 2013 at 06:21 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Massively Upset with PocketWizard TT5 (Nikon)

mikejl29 wrote:
Don't use Master/Commander/Slave with the ControlTL flashes, just leave them in iTTL mode.

#" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">

#

except that the camera RARELY knows what you actually want to achieve, and if you move to manual, you'll eventually end up getting better, more consistent results.....

Jul 11, 2013 at 07:22 PM
basehorhonda
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Massively Upset with PocketWizard TT5 (Nikon)

I got the ac3 zone controller and I have it on top of my mini on my camera and i have had great luck with it. Although I dont use it for ttl very often.

Jul 12, 2013 at 02:03 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.