Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Upgrade to 7D instead of 70D?

dsr1
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Upgrade to 7D instead of 70D?

When I changed to Canon from Olympus E-30 I bought the 60D because of it's smaller size and I felt I could get along with Canons 9pt all Cross type until the next upgrade that I felt would have the 19pt AF of the 7D and still cost less. I really wanted to stay with the smaller size and price.

Now that the upgrade has been announced the 70D has the 19pt AF but it's not at all the same as the 7D's AF. The 70D has some nice advances and for a lot of folks (that want video) it's a worthy upgrade but for wildlife and sports still shooting only I'm thinking I might be better off to give up on the smaller size and take advantage of the lower price of the 7D now. It's still a great upgrade from the 60. I still wouldn't spend the $1800.00 - $2000,00 everybody thinks the 7D II will be announced at even though I'm sure it will be worth it.

What do you think for still shooting only? I can't see a lot of advantage with the 70D over the 7D. . In other words would the 7D AF be more important than the other advances in the 70D?

Does this make since to anyone but me? Your thought would be appreciated. Sorry I got so long winded.

Edited on Jul 11, 2013 at 08:53 PM · View previous versions

Jul 11, 2013 at 08:40 PM
M Lucca
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Upgrade to 7D instead of 70D?

Depends on how you shoot. The 7d's AF is very capable. But if you are the type that sticks with one point AF or center pt AF only, then I doubt you will see much difference with 7d or 70d and even a 60d for that matter.
Is raw burst depth important to you? The 7d has deep buffers. Not sure about 70d.
SD card vs CF card. Since you have 60d that uses sd card, maybe it make sense to go 70d to avoid changing memory formats.

Try both and see which you like. I think for a great majority of the users, the 70d will suffice. But used prices for a 7d makes it appealing.

Personally I do not see why would I want to pay More for a 70d that is almost a 7d but not quite.

Jul 11, 2013 at 08:44 PM
dsr1
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Upgrade to 7D instead of 70D?

M Lucca wrote:
Depends on how you shoot. The 7d's AF is very capable. But if you are the type that sticks with one point AF or center pt AF only, then I doubt you will see much difference with 7d or 70d and even a 60d for that matter.
Is raw burst depth important to you? The 7d has deep buffers. Not sure about 70d.
SD card vs CF card. Since you have 60d that uses sd card, maybe it make sense to go 70d to avoid changing memory formats.

Try both and see which you like. I think for a great majority of
...Show more

I select the different Pt's with almost every shot. Usually center pt AI Servo for BIF but don't have very good keeper rate with those and I'm thinking the center pt. expanded with AI servo would help a lot with that.

Jul 11, 2013 at 08:57 PM
akin_t
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Upgrade to 7D instead of 70D?

If I were doing it all over again today, I'd still get a 7D over a 70D.

70D has the advantage of being able to focus faster in Live View ... But to me that sounds like a feature only videographers and macro shooters will benefit from. Most conventional photographers still shoot through the OVF.

7D has spot AF and expansion AF, these autofocus modes are not present in the 70D. 7D also has 3 custom modes as opposed to the 1 of the 70D.

7D has a larger viewfinder than the 70D and it's 100% as opposed to the 98% on the 70D.

7D has a joystick for selecting AF points, to me this is a deal breaker. I will never buy a Canon camera that lacks this joystick, I'm spoiled by it ... Maybe it'll be different if I never tried it out, but now that I've tried it out, I cannot go back to that archaic wheel found on the 60D, 70D, and 6D.

In my opinion, the 7D is a more comfortable camera to use for conventional shooting.

Jul 11, 2013 at 09:01 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Upgrade to 7D instead of 70D?

I waste most of the 7D AF but the one thing that made it worth it for was Spot AF. The ability to reduce the point size and lock onto tiny detail has been worth the few extra benjamins. Also, invoking Spot AF instantly by pressing the DOF button lets me use it in other AF modes without switching modes is a great feature.

Jul 11, 2013 at 09:07 PM
akin_t
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Upgrade to 7D instead of 70D?

Gochugogi wrote:
I waste most of the 7D AF but the one thing that made it worth it for was Spot AF. The ability to reduce the point size and lock onto tiny detail has been worth the few extra benjamins. Also, invoking Spot AF instantly by pressing the DOF button lets me use it in other AF modes without switching modes is a great feature.

I cannot echo this enough.

Furthermore, the 7D is so customizable, it's ridiculous. With 3 custom modes at your disposal, it's easy to disable certain AF modes in some of them.

For instance, on my C3, I have only spot and single point enabled ... Cycling between just 2 modes is much quicker than cycling between 5.

Only thing I envy in the 70D is the built in HDR and multiple exposure modes. I really wish the 7D had that.

Jul 11, 2013 at 09:14 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Upgrade to 7D instead of 70D?

The moveable screen and liveview features are a real benefit of the 70d for many shooters. We don't know what IQ will be like yet though, so if you have to buy now, you only have one choice. Otherwise, I'd suggest waiting to see if the new sensor offers any noise improvements (or if its just a tiny resolution bump and a new AF method for liveview/movie modes).

Jul 11, 2013 at 09:45 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Upgrade to 7D instead of 70D?

Don, you can buy my 7D once the 70D comes out

Seriously though, the 7D's AF is much better than the 60D, and if that's what your after, it would be worth the upgrade. The 7D is pretty cheap now on the B&S boards.

The 7D also has better build quality, which I value a lot. I take my 7D in the bush all the time and it comes out clean. I did that with my 5D once and it was pretty scratched up!

Jul 11, 2013 at 09:58 PM
dsr1
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Upgrade to 7D instead of 70D?

lowa2 wrote:
Don, you can buy my 7D once the 70D comes out

Seriously though, the 7D's AF is much better than the 60D, and if that's what your after, it would be worth the upgrade. The 7D is pretty cheap now on the B&S boards.

The 7D also has better build quality, which I value a lot. I take my 7D in the bush all the time and it comes out clean. I did that with my 5D once and it was pretty scratched up!

Charles,

That's what I'm thinking now. Seems I'll get more out of the upgrade to 7D than to the 70D for what I'm doing. Thinking about looking for sales on refurbished or even a good clean used one. I've been seeing low millage 7D for $800.00 or less. Then upgrade it when the 7DII is upgraded in a few years.

Did I read that you sold all your FF stuff in favor of the 7D?

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:29 PM
dsr1
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Upgrade to 7D instead of 70D?

akin_t wrote:
I cannot echo this enough.

Furthermore, the 7D is so customizable, it's ridiculous. With 3 custom modes at your disposal, it's easy to disable certain AF modes in some of them.

For instance, on my C3, I have only spot and single point enabled ... Cycling between just 2 modes is much quicker than cycling between 5.

Only thing I envy in the 70D is the built in HDR and multiple exposure modes. I really wish the 7D had that.

Looks like a steep learning curve to set up the AF to my best advantage and get used to it once I get one.

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Upgrade to 7D instead of 70D?

dsr1 wrote:
Charles,

That's what I'm thinking now. Seems I'll get more out of the upgrade to 7D than to the 70D for what I'm doing. Thinking about looking for sales on refurbished or even a good clean used one. I've been seeing low millage 7D for $800.00 or less. Then upgrade it when the 7DII is upgraded in a few years.

Did I read that you sold all your FF stuff in favor of the 7D?

Yup, I needed a downsize on camera gear. I'll pick up some ff stuff once my wife and I have our baby! For now, I am perfectly happy with a cropper.

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:33 PM
dsr1
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Upgrade to 7D instead of 70D?

akin_t wrote:
If I were doing it all over again today, I'd still get a 7D over a 70D.

70D has the advantage of being able to focus faster in Live View ... But to me that sounds like a feature only videographers and macro shooters will benefit from. Most conventional photographers still shoot through the OVF.

7D has spot AF and expansion AF, these autofocus modes are not present in the 70D. 7D also has 3 custom modes as opposed to the 1 of the 70D.

7D has a larger viewfinder than the 70D and it's 100% as opposed to the 98% on the
...Show more

Actually, I've really never shot with anything near as customizable as the 7D and not ever had a camera with a joystick. Looking forward to this once I made up my mind what to do.

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:37 PM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Upgrade to 7D instead of 70D?

For those saying that the 70D doesn't have AF expansion- are you sure? I keep reading that it doesn't, but I know I've seen it listed that it does.

Jul 12, 2013 at 02:11 AM
Monkey Falls
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Upgrade to 7D instead of 70D?

johnctharp wrote:
For those saying that the 70D doesn't have AF expansion- are you sure? I keep reading that it doesn't, but I know I've seen it listed that it does.

According to the manual, you can select individual AF points or one of five AF Zones each made up of multiple AF points.

Jul 12, 2013 at 03:27 AM
dsr1
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Upgrade to 7D instead of 70D?

Monkey Falls wrote:
According to the manual, you can select individual AF points or one of five AF Zones each made up of multiple AF points.

I wrote Canon with the question and here's their reply:

Re: KB Escalation Response from Canon - EOS Digital Cameras > EOS 70D [#1062962]

Dear Don Richardson:

Thank you for contacting Canon product support regarding information on the AF system in the EOS 70D.

Unfortunately, the EOS 70D does not have the AF Area Selection Modes that is featured in the EOS 7D. There is no Spot AF or AF Point Expansion option available on the EOS 70D. Current models that have the AF Area Selection Modes are the EOS 7D, EOS 5D Mark III, and the EOS-1D X.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with the EOS 70D. Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Rodney
Technical Support Representative

Jul 12, 2013 at 04:28 AM
Mark K
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Upgrade to 7D instead of 70D?

Thank you...I know which camera to choose

Jul 12, 2013 at 06:20 AM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Upgrade to 7D instead of 70D?

Monkey Falls wrote:

That must have been what I was seeing. Does Canon define the 'five AF Zones'? I wonder if that wouldn't largely suffice, since 19 isn't a whole lot of points to begin with. On my 6D, I'd love to be able to select the 4 or 5 points in each extreme rather than just one or all, and it's be even nicer if they were all cross-point, of course .

I'm asking because I'm really interested in the 70D as a companion/backup/action/wildlife/video camera to complement my 6D, especially if the new sensor brings some additional dynamic range and better noise control.

Edit: Here's page 106 of the English/US manual, showing the AF Area Selection zones:

I think that might be more limiting than full AF Expansion, of course, but it would probably also suffice for my uses (should I ever get around to picking one of these up).

Jul 12, 2013 at 05:01 PM
akin_t
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Upgrade to 7D instead of 70D?

johnctharp wrote:
That must have been what I was seeing. Does Canon define the 'five AF Zones'? I wonder if that wouldn't largely suffice, since 19 isn't a whole lot of points to begin with. On my 6D, I'd love to be able to select the 4 or 5 points in each extreme rather than just one or all, and it's be even nicer if they were all cross-point, of course .

I'm asking because I'm really interested in the 70D as a companion/backup/action/wildlife/video camera to complement my 6D, especially if the new sensor brings some additional dynamic range and better noise control.

Edit:
...Show more

Any seasoned 7D owner will tell you that the "all 19pt AF" mode is perhaps the worst thing about the camera ... It's the reason so many amateurs complain about focus issues as this mode is defaulted in the camera.

"All 19pt AF" also known as "Automatic" pretty much focuses on the closet thing in the frame (see: foreground) ... And the "Zone AF" mode is just an extension of that ... It focuses on the closest thing in that "Zone".

So pretty much these modes are only good for BIF (and similar scenarios) ... Nothing else. AF expansion on the other hand is the mode you want for static shots or panning shots ... it focuses over the focus point and falls on the expanded points if your subject moves.

In other words, Zone is nothing like Expansion.

Jul 12, 2013 at 06:58 PM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Upgrade to 7D instead of 70D?

It seems closer than you think, but the manual doesn't explain it out very well. The real disadvantage is the 'closest object in the zone' priority, but we'll have to see how it compares to the 7D in real usage.

I'd think that it would be effective for a lot of things- if it's available in AI Focus, you should be able to lock on one subject and then have the camera track it as well; the challenge would be getting that initial focus lock, which you might be able to assist with manually.

Jul 12, 2013 at 07:06 PM
markshelby
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Upgrade to 7D instead of 70D?

I have been assuming that it will have a somewhat better sensor in terms of low-light detail, based on Canon's other recent new sensors. Is that not the case?

Jul 12, 2013 at 09:04 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password