Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Lens Cleaning

Daum

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens Cleaning

Just curious as to what you guys use to clean your lenses. Is microfibers the best way to go, and what solutions are best?

Jul 11, 2013 at 04:52 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens Cleaning

In order of grunginess,

rocket blower
big makeup brush
breath fog and microfibre
Ecllipse fluid and PecPad
ROR and PecPad

or

T-shirt

Jul 11, 2013 at 05:30 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens Cleaning

Hi Daum,

I'm with Jim on the first three, after that it's, "well, I guess you're gonna stay dirty"...and I confess to the t-shirt, too.

Jimmy G

Jul 11, 2013 at 06:25 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens Cleaning

(1) Normal/light duty cleaning: Nikon pre-moistened tissues (link)
(2) Heavy duty cleaning: ROR/microfiber cloth
(3) Small area/spot cleaning and streak removal: clean Lenspen
(4) High weave density, lint-free microfiber cloth: maintaining those very clean is important. Wash cloths frequently, and keep them in a sealed bag.

Jul 11, 2013 at 06:50 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens Cleaning

rocket blower
big makeup brush
nikon pre-moistened wipes

when I bought my 400 do used, the front element was quite dirty. The above cleaned it up perfectly. if the above doesn't work, being a neophyte, I'd get nervous and consider why and think about maybe using a canon clean and inspect coupon.

Jul 11, 2013 at 08:15 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lens Cleaning

Hi Petkal,

The keeping the micro-fiber clothes both clean and washed, and kept in a sealed bag (I use plastic ziplock style) are great tips. I do all that and should have passed that along myself!

Jimmy G

Jul 12, 2013 at 02:14 AM
Chris Anthony
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lens Cleaning

Rocket blower 99% of the time. If there is a fair amount of dust I use a microfiber, or my t-shirt when needed. I try to not touch the glass on my lens unless really dirty

Jul 12, 2013 at 02:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Daum

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lens Cleaning

Thanks guys. This really helps and look into to them. I didn't think using my shirt was safe but i guess it's ok.

Jul 12, 2013 at 04:42 PM
Flowernut

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lens Cleaning

I've used the zeiss pre moisten lens cleaning wipe both for lenses and binoculars. These are handy and I usually have one or two in my pocket.

If I had a real problem, I usually start with blowing (rocket blower etc), then camel hair brush to make sure anything gritty has been removed. Then microfiber cloth and last lens tissue with ROR.

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:22 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lens Cleaning

Flowernut wrote:
I've used the zeiss pre moisten lens cleaning wipe both for lenses and binoculars. These are handy and I usually have one or two in my pocket.

I bought some zeiss cloths on sale and just weren't worth it. they did not work nearly as well as the nikon wipes which I love. Odd there is such a difference, but I see many others on FM mention them too.

Jul 13, 2013 at 01:29 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lens Cleaning

I stick a microfiber in my pocket and that's all I use. I use the towel types. The silk ones aren't worth diddly.

Jul 15, 2013 at 01:58 AM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lens Cleaning

T-shirt. Or any shirt I happen to be wearing at the time.

Jul 18, 2013 at 07:46 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lens Cleaning

I use a rocket blower to get off dust, then a LensPen for smudges or any gunk that gets on them. (will use the LensPen brush that's attached if I'm away from home, since I don't bring the rocket blower out and about.) Been using the Lens Pens for about 6-7 years now and I absolutely wouldn't be without one in my bag. They clean the lens perfectly, no scratches and it takes up almost no space in my bag.

Jul 18, 2013 at 07:51 PM
Dan Grisez
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lens Cleaning

After spending a decent amount of money on microfiber cloths (tens of dollars, not hundreds ), I found that hot breath and the corner of my t-shirt work the best.

Jul 18, 2013 at 07:58 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password