p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Stormy Night In Tampa

20130710-IMG_4455 by jh28wd40, on Flickr

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:45 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Stormy Night In Tampa

Hey Josh,
First image on Critique: Welcome. And hope you like it here.
I have no experience trying capture lightning and I am always impressed when someone succeeds. Curious how you prepared for this capture.

While the lightning capture is nice and I like its off-center location and the wedge of cloud bringing the eye over to and down the bolt, I think the image is missing other elements to sustain interest. If you mine some of the shadow detail in the foreground you might have some interest there. And then the image becomes the foreground with "Oh, hey, cool, look at that lightning in the background!".

Scott

Jul 12, 2013 at 06:25 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Stormy Night In Tampa

Welcome here too Josh,

Great capture - echo Scott's analysis and add how the object on right and left side help frame the lower third of image.

What are the technical details? Shutter-speed, f-stop, ISO?

Regards,

Bob

Jul 12, 2013 at 06:43 PM
MarcG19
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Stormy Night In Tampa

Josh,

Agreed broadly with Scott and Bob.

It looks like you used a wide lens (20-24mm equivalent?) and at the very least crouched to get some of the shore. If so, I like that. The overall composition has some good elements, but IMO it doesn't come together as well.

If you're looking for a wide shot of the sky with just enough of the ground to give it some context, it's IMO generally better to have a just enough of the ground in the shot to give context, but then have the rest be the sky. And in such cases, patterns in the sky make or break the image.

For this subject, rather than a wide lens I would have used a telephoto lens (at least 85mm equivalent, perhaps even 120 or 200mm) and tried to get the lightning, the clouds, and the opposite shore. Since the subject I see is the lightnig, the clouds, and the other shore in sort of a Z-pattern, I would leave out those elements. Given the width of the opposite shoreline and the clouds, I would crop to a longer aspect ratio. I also think this looks better underexposed by a stop, though I would prefer it exposed like this from the camera (i.e. get as much good data as possible from the camera even though I intend to reduce expose in post-processing).

Something like this, though this is a difficult to thing to get out of a crop from a wide angle lens, even more so from a jpg at this resolution:

My $0.02,

Marc

Jul 13, 2013 at 07:56 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Stormy Night In Tampa

Josh,

Definitely a welcome to the Forum along with the others.

Diggin' the capture ...

Took a stab at some tweaks for subjective rendering ... playing a bit off of Scott's thoughts. Mostly just some masked layers of levels/mode/usm stuff. Was a little unsure @ how bright to bring up the foreground, but hopefully you get the gist.

As always, S&P to taste.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Jul 13, 2013 at 08:33 PM
jh28wd40

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Stormy Night In Tampa

Wow! Rusty I like that.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I was using magic lantern exposing every 3 seconds.

Thanks once again.

Jul 14, 2013 at 12:36 AM
Jglaser757
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Stormy Night In Tampa

great capture,,I would like to see more in the foreground!!

Jul 17, 2013 at 09:26 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.