Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Getting into Digital equipment - where to purchase?

Keiththom

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Getting into Digital equipment - where to purchase?

I am moving out of 335 film equipment and want to purchase some digital equipment. I have a tight budget and want a good deal but some protection as well. I see extremely good prices on sites such as Primotronix but also see their "F" better business rating. 42nd street has a much better rating but I'm wondering what kind of warranty I will get? Amazon prices are a little higher yet. If I'm reading this right, it looks like Amazon is a Nikon authorized dealer??
(link)
Then there is the box stores with the highest prices of all and probably the most protection. But at their prices i will not be able to purchase what I want.
Can someone here give me some advice?
Items I am looking for include:
Nikon D7000
Nikon 70-300 lens
Nikon 85 mm micro

Jul 11, 2013 at 03:57 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Getting into Digital equipment - where to purchase?

Adorama, BHPhotoVideo, KEH. You can always go to www.resellerratings.com to check on the integrity of the seller. The three I've named have never let me down, before, during or after a sale.

Jul 11, 2013 at 04:31 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Getting into Digital equipment - where to purchase?

Keiththom wrote:
I am moving out of 335 film equipment

335? Wow, now that's large format!

+1 on Adorama and B&H. Both excellent companies with huge inventories.

Jul 11, 2013 at 04:42 PM
Keiththom

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Getting into Digital equipment - where to purchase?

OK - try 35 mm film instead.

I actually ordered everything from Primotronix. Unfortunately afterwards (instead of before) I checked out their rating and the BBB gave them an "F" with hundreds of horror stories on the web. I immediately cancelled my order and learned to check first.

I actually cancelled the order with Primotronix today. The guy there asked me why I was cancelling and I told him. He stated that they have one of the highest ratings out there and i must have checked the wrong company. I told him to send me the link to their favorable BBB rating and I would reconsider. Of coarse he refused.
I also have noticed that the companies with high rating sell for high dollar and the ones that offer very low prices almost all have terrible rating.

Jul 11, 2013 at 05:52 PM
borderlight
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Getting into Digital equipment - where to purchase?

B&H Photo

Jul 11, 2013 at 06:37 PM
mfreardon
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Getting into Digital equipment - where to purchase?

Try Beach Camera as well. I have purchased several items from them and have been very happy with the equipment and the service.

http://www.beachcamera.com/

Mike

Jul 11, 2013 at 07:07 PM
Squirrely Eyed
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Getting into Digital equipment - where to purchase?

I tend to stick to B&H, Amazon, and Adorama.

You will rarely find a "deal" from any of these companies that is not matched somewhat by the others, they are in stiff competition with one another.

If you want a better "deal" then perhaps wait for a good sale on refurbished products. Also you can check your local Craigslist, it's a bit more work and doesn't have warranty protection but you can try before you buy and sometimes get great deals.

For any online companies, if somebody is selling it below the general market price, they are probably dubious. Surely they will not admit their dubiosity (r) when questioned, and will instead tell you with confidence that they are the best.

Jul 11, 2013 at 08:44 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Getting into Digital equipment - where to purchase?

anthonysemone wrote:
Adorama, BHPhotoVideo, KEH. You can always go to www.resellerratings.com to check on the integrity of the seller. The three I've named have never let me down, before, during or after a sale.

I would like to add ProFeel to the list.
When Adorama and B&H did not have stock for my 1DMK3 and 1Dx, ProFeel did and they were GREAT!!!!
Free S&H, fantastic customer service!
Now granted my eqpt was Canon but I am sure they have Nikon also.
https://www.profeel.com/cameras/pc/Digital-Cameras-c3.htm

Now Norman, Beach and BeverlyHills were also #1.
Dan

Edited on Jul 12, 2013 at 07:08 PM · View previous versions

Jul 12, 2013 at 03:57 PM
Keiththom

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Getting into Digital equipment - where to purchase?

I went with B&H. All of your suggestions were GREATLY appreciated!!!

Keith

Jul 12, 2013 at 04:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Getting into Digital equipment - where to purchase?

DanBrown wrote:
335? Wow, now that's large format!

What was that, a 351C?

EBH

Jul 13, 2013 at 01:01 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Getting into Digital equipment - where to purchase?

Keiththom wrote:
I went with B&H. All of your suggestions were GREATLY appreciated!!!

Keith

B&H is always a safe choice. Some other legit B&M stores are Allens, Canoga, Roberts, etc.

EBH

Jul 13, 2013 at 01:09 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Getting into Digital equipment - where to purchase?

If a place is offering more than 10% savings on new equipment it is usually a scam. Exception being authorized dealers that get special deals once in a while. Usually it is a free printer with purchase etc. Those half price deals are fake. The big places like Beach, B&H are safe bets. Many have Ebay outlets that they may discount a bit or offer free extras so check that out.

You should be able to check and see if the place is a authorized dealer. Usually listed at manufacturers site.

I know Canon has refurbished area on their site. I assume Nikon might have the same. That can be a few hundred in savings and have a factory warranty.

Other larger outlets that do rental also sell used.

Jul 13, 2013 at 03:51 PM
zlgragg
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Getting into Digital equipment - where to purchase?

Canon refurb is great IMO. Ask about their "Loyalty program".

But my favorite place for equipment is FM Buy/Sell.
(=

Jul 23, 2013 at 09:19 PM
henryp
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Getting into Digital equipment - where to purchase?

EB-1 wrote:
B&H is always a safe choice.

Thank you. Kind of you to say so.

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

Jul 24, 2013 at 08:18 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Getting into Digital equipment - where to purchase?

henryp wrote:
Thank you. Kind of you to say so.

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

and if you ever have any problems, this guy stalks the FM forums for issues with BH and takes care of them. That's some crazy good customer service.

How did you get a job anyways surfing forums looking for issues? I'd imagine this isn't the only one you partake in.

Jul 24, 2013 at 08:24 PM
henryp
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Getting into Digital equipment - where to purchase?

BenV wrote:
How did you get a job anyways surfing forums looking for issues? I'd imagine this isn't the only one you partake in.

I was a full time professional photographer but underpaid and after 20 years burned out when I saw B&H's help-wanted ad in Photo District News for a training manager. Since I had some experience managing and training photographers for studio I answered and was hired.

A few months later I was asked to take over our CompuServe account. At the time it amounted to about an hour a day and the guy doing it wasn't enjoying it. They wanted someone with good language skills and a decent knowledge of photography so I agreed. That grew to include AOL, Prodigy, the Usenet rec.photo newsgroups and became a full time gig.

I began printing conversations and collating them with customer orders so upper management could appreciate what I was doing, and get a feel for the whole online universe. At the same time they realized this was our #1 source for customer comments and complaints.

One thing lead to another... I have several hundred forums in my bookmarks and I'm on Facebook and Twitter continually. Look for @h_posner

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

Jul 24, 2013 at 08:31 PM
Keiththom

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Getting into Digital equipment - where to purchase?

I received all of my equipment from B&H. Their service was great. I am definitely hooked on them and will be doing more business with them in the future.

Rest of the story:
I initially went with another internet company- Promotronix. They had the best prices by far. I made my order and then the next day did some checking up on the company. (I should have done it before I ordered) Anyway - I found that the company had an F rating with the BBB. And there were hundreds of testimonials on the internet of people who were jilted by the company. I was besides myself with worry and didn't know what I should do.

I ended up calling Visa and shutting down my card that everything was ordered on. I called Promotronix and cancelled my order. They wanted to know why? I leveled with them and explained that I just couldn't gamble on a company with such a horrible rep as they had. (I did it in as nice a way as I knew how and even tried to be apologetic for their troubles) The guy at Promotronix became very rude and told me that I was looking at reviews for another / wrong company and not theirs because they had one of the highest ratings in the business. I asked him to email me the links to their BBB ratings and the other favorable ratings and I might reconsider. The guy just said that they do not email links to their ratings and we parted ways with him becoming more and more rude by the second. No way I had the wrong company! The only thing it ended up costing me was my VISA card that I had to get replaced.

Anyway, my camera buying experience went from a disaster in the making to B&H turning it all around and coming thru with great service.

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:17 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password