Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2013 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

justruss
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

Gochugogi wrote:
Obviously you're a superior being. I, on the other hand, have no need for images but care deeply for my gear. And they also care about me (they told me so). I try to limit use to a bi-annual fondle and then quickly wipe with micro fiber and return it to the original packaging. Right now I'm bidding on backup boxes just in case I over indulge...

I don't think I'm superior whatsoever. I have plenty of other obsessions-- even gear-based ones-- just not photograpic-gear based. People collect all kinds of things, from stamps to, yes, even cameras. I'm not knocking any collection hobby. When I was a kid I amassed a huge collection of toy/craft frogs-- and a few live ones. Some people collect orchids. I know a guy who collects bottles of whiskey he never intends to drink-- including a few fine samples others would pay serious money for... in order to drink.

I was just providing a counterpoint to the funny, glorifying double-speak in many of these gear addiction threads that often runs in the blurry area between having a compulsion and being proud of it.

If it's a true addiction (in the DSM sense), then it's obviously not funny because part of the definition is that it's negatively impacting one's life. I'm actually running on the assumption that 99.9% of the so-called gear addicts just get satisfaction out of buying and selling and collecting and trying glass-- and can afford to do so without ruining their lives.

Jul 13, 2013 at 07:46 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

"Not sure we disagree after all... ;-)"

Ok Dan, I misread your post.

Now - lets get down to a more serious discussion, should we use protective filters or not on our lenses?!

Jul 13, 2013 at 11:17 AM
outlawyer
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

The cheap dope can be just as good; haven't had as much fun as I'm having with the 40 2.8 in a long time.

Jul 13, 2013 at 03:40 PM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

The less I shoot, the more gear(s) I want. You can put it another way - "idleness breeds heresy".
Actually, it's not exactly true anymore, but it was like that a short time ago in my case.

Jul 13, 2013 at 04:46 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

PhotoMaximum wrote:
Interesting thread.

I am sort of a gear junky, but feel you can acquire some interesting items if you can reach further than just L lens lust. There are quirky and rewarding lenses and camera systems that one can enjoy for less money than what golfers, boaters, etc spend.

I own about 25 or so lenses, three digital bodies, 4x5 system, 6x7 system, Polaroid 180, six tripods, video gear and lots of lighting. I enjoy most of it and its fun to focus on one little used lens for day, etc. Photography is fun so enjoy!!!

+1

I agree and I'm the same as you

Jul 13, 2013 at 05:06 PM
durianisgood

p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

PNelsonMN wrote:
I'm trying to recover from this myself. My solution is renting - we have a good rental place here in Mpls where I can take stuff out for a spin. It's much cheaper than buying and selling, and I don't have to live staring at a lens I would sparingly use (like the 300/4IS that I'm taking to an airshow this weekend).

Renting somewhat works for me as well. I was really itching to get an Olympus OM-D recently, but my curiosity was satisfied after renting one for a week.

However, I can imagine that there are lenses where renting them makes the itch worse. The Canon 70-200 f/2.8 II was like that for me. Even now I still crave that lens, but I can't justify owning it since I'm just a hobbyist.

Jul 14, 2013 at 01:24 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

justruss wrote:
Gear leaves me feeling nothing. But the photographic process-- and the results-- make me ecstatic.

+1

Jul 14, 2013 at 06:14 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

gdanmitchell wrote:
+1

A gear addict buy a lot of lenses and cameras. And the person get ecstatic about that.
The person who get ecstatic about the photographic process buy a lot of computer's, monitor's and software.
Not that much difference
And I belive both person's get ecstatic about a good result in the end.

Jul 14, 2013 at 07:07 AM
castlekeeper01
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

I'm not sure if I'm a gear addict or just a hands on learner. For a while there I was more of a "deal addict" - I found most FMers to be knowledgable, helpful folks who taught me a bit during the course of a transaction. It was fun running up a respectable number of positive feedbacks, too.

In just under three years I bought and sold 9 camera bodies and 60 lenses, 4 tripods, 6 heads, a dozen filters, plus speedlights, PW's, bags, straps, and other paraphernalia - mostly here on FM and CL. It was fun! Trying out all that gear taught me what all the reviews I read could not - what kind of gear fits me and is best suited to the subjects I like to shoot. I'm sure that's different for everyone.

I've also learned shooting with other photographers that practically nobody who's any good gives a rat's patoot what's in my gear bag. They are focused on getting better results - mostly with the gear they already have, with few exceptions. I've learned a great deal by asking experienced pros how to get results like theirs with my gear. Usually they share several work-arounds to get similar results. Some situations simply require appropriate gear.

My early learning trajectory became gear intensive as initially I found it easier to use advanced technology to resolve what were moderately challenging compositions. Like an adolescent I would beam as I pulled a 85 1.2 out of my bag in a dimly lit venue ... to shoot stationary subjects. Doh! Or draw down on a squirrel ten feet away with a 100-400 to get a super close-up. I was making the rookie mistakes of using my wallet instead of my mind because I was in a big hurry to get "great" photos right now.

Now I'm down to 2 camera bodies - a 1.6x and FF, 3 zooms to cover the average focal range, and a macro lens. Yes, there are brief moments when I miss my 85 1.2, 24-70 and 17-55. But 10 days ago while packing for a trip to New Mexico I was very glad I could fit all my lenses and bodies into one carry on. I didn't have to hesitate or ponder which lens or body to take to the Santa Fe farmer's market, or the wineries - the midrange zoom was fine. I was glad to have all three hiking the Tent Rocks trail - my images ranged from 16mm FF to 300 x 1.6 plus some macro work.

The feeding frenzy is over. Been there, tried just about every body and lens (to 400mm) in Canon's current inventory. Because I tried so many and learned what they can do, I'm content knowing the gear I have now matches my knowledge and subject matter. All of them get used frequently.

I don't expect that to be permanent. I will keep reading, taking classes, talking with pros, and challenging myself to get better. Surely there is more gear in my future. But I'm at peace with what I've got - which beats the heck out of wondering if better gear would get me better images. Now I'd rather spend time shooting and learning than buying and selling. Whew - what a relief!

Jul 14, 2013 at 07:18 PM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

I guess a part of gear obsession (at least in my case) comes from being a hobbyist with no real perception of what he wants to be and to do. A pro knows what he's shooting and his gear acquisitions are accoding to that. A newswire photographer won't need an exotic macro lens, but a hobbyist wants / needs to shoot macro one day, landscape another, and a portrait of his significant other the third day.

Of course there are dedicated hobbyists that know what they're after, but then they can get "creative" with what they're doing (15mm fisheye BIF shots, etc.)

Jul 15, 2013 at 06:33 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Chrissearle
• •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

I'm a bit of a gear addict but primarily a photography addict, I reckon to average about 60 shots per day and theres rarely a day I don't take a photograph, I'm very much an amateur and do it simply because I love making images. Because its such an important part of my leisure activities I do tend to acquire gear but it all gets used ( apart from a NEX5n that I hate and must get round to selling ). I'm lucky in that I can afford it ( up to a point), anyway, I have identified some things which work for me:
- When I travel I sometimes just take on camera and lens, because, despite statements to the contrary above I do find this a huge stimulus to creativity and has given me some of my best photographs
- I find that I use gear in a cyclic manner, going back to old lenses or cameras after not using them for a few months is almost like having a new piece of kit
- I don't buy gear just for the sake of it and think hard before I buy, I've been dithering over a Sigma DP3M for months
Whatever, I absolutely love my gear ( apart from the horrid NEX) and will doubtless be adding more, right at the moment I'm waiting as I think there may be some exciting stuff announced in the next 24 months....

Jul 15, 2013 at 08:04 AM
nrferguson
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

I need all my gear so that I can lend it to my family! ergo next weekend we are going to the Royal International Air Tattoo - I will be shooting with my 5D3 and 300 2.8 + converter plus my 7D and 70-200 2.8 I will lend one son-in-law a 1.4x teleconverter for his 70-200 F4 (my old one) and his 40D (my old one too), another son-in-law will get my Sigma 150-500 for his 650D and my brother-in-law will borrow my 100-400 5.6L for his 60D ergo I need them all!!
Niall

Jul 15, 2013 at 08:07 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

In reality there's time when you absolutely need to have the "newer" toy. I've photographed in many a venue where older equipment wouldn't have cut it.

The current high ISO of the cameras I use now is tremendous and works very well for me to achieve my goals (or rather to get salvageable shots from environments where promoters of events won't put coin into the promotion part of their event).

With that said, I never thought I'd shoot a wedding where I didn't use my 24-70 and yesterday, after reading this article, I purposely left my 24-70 on a camera and didn't take it out of the pelican. I also used a fixed 35 for a good portion of the day...for me, that's crazy.

Jul 15, 2013 at 01:39 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

I never absolutely needed any new camera toy. The biggest "need" for me was in 2009 to move from cropped to FF sensor since I am used to the 35 mm format a lot more (and yes, still doing film photography in parallel to digital using my simple but well working film SLRs). Lens-wise I only bought what I am using. The latest new Canon lenses like the 24-70 II, the 70-200/2.8 II, and all the wide angle IS EF lens versions simply are of zero interest to me. The next "toy" I might consider could be a new high MP FF camera at some point, but for anything else I am simply set with all I need.

Jul 15, 2013 at 02:37 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

The most important article about photography I have read in the past ten years.

Jul 15, 2013 at 03:05 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

"In reality there's time when you absolutely need to have the "newer" toy. I've photographed in many a venue where older equipment wouldn't have cut it. "

Yes, I agree. For me the 5D2 was the first full frame Canon that would do what I needed, before I bought that camera only film could do what I wanted. That was a game changing camera for night photography IMHO, great high ISO plus live view for focusing in difficult low light. Now for me the 5D3 or 6D would be a bit better, but not a game changer. I'll hang on to my 5D2 for a few years yet!

Jul 15, 2013 at 04:18 PM
dorian
• • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

here's one way i try to think since both money and time to shoot limit me:

i shoot 99% birds.

i have 500L now, works great, love it. use it with 1.4 iii with great results.

600L II would be better since it gives me a bit more reach at same weight, but it costs 12K.

i just can't justify putting out 12K at a hit for a lens that i can't use as much as a 12K lens should be used (i.e. multiple days per week in my mind). i get out maybe 1.5 days/week since i work 60hrs/week.

so, instead of spending 12K on that lens now, I could take 2 $1,000 trips a year for the next 6 years to places where I want to shoot. if i go to where the birds breed the extra 100mm of the 600mm won't mean much. my recent trip to newfoundland highlights this point (see post in nature/wildlife - shameless, i know!). this trip ran me $1,100 for 13 full days - that includes gas, the ferry to get my car there, food, lodging, and everything else! had i bought the fancy lens, this trip (and future trips) could not have happened.

will i buy 500ii or 600ii at some point? hell yes. but not until i have more time and more money and the lens will get the use it deserve in order to return enough value to me. just writing the check for new gear without doing the cost benefit analysis is just too easy, and ultimately, too costly.

point is you need good gear, but you need to get out and use it even more. otherwise you may as well collect pez dispensers or something that, like unused gear, doesn't take good photos.

Jul 15, 2013 at 04:50 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

I was much worse when I didnt have much.
I had to have the next big thing, first it was a Hasselblad, then that broke, so I got an RZ67 (back when it was still expensive to do so), then it was a 4x5, then digital came along, then it was DSLR, then FF... not to mention all the lenses along the way, faster apertures, longer lenses, wider lenses, then I started shooting weddings, so it was primes, then the TS/E's.

But after realizing that I Never used film, and could use that money to GO places to shoot, I sold off a lot of stuff that I didnt need. Now its just a 5DIII, 40D IR, and a lot of lenses...
But Im still looking for that thing I need, bought a star tracker for my last trip, got to use it twice, and none of the shots had what I wanted. Need more practice with it :P

Jul 15, 2013 at 05:21 PM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

Another interesting article on the same thing...

http://erickimphotography.com/blog/2012/03/04/10-tips-on-how-to-cure-yourself-of-gas-gear-acquisition-syndrome/

Basically this guy avoids GAS by just using a pair of Leicas (one M6 film body and a M9) as a means of avoiding the whole camera and lens purchasing treadmill.

check out some of the interesting comments at the end as well...

Not to open a can of worms but I have always noticed that some guys who focus on "street photography" and use a really expensive Leica & 35mm lens sort of feel superior to Canikon uses who deploy a whole system kit for thier work. Maybe something to do with the black Tshirt and other mandatory accessories that goes with being a "serious" street photographer...

Jul 16, 2013 at 01:03 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password