Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2013 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

David Baldwin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

"A secondary false belief that often pops up as a counterpoint to the gear lust holds that you will be more creative if you have less gear. "

Now actually I disagree. Once you have the absolute sensible minimum for the kind of work you routinely do, extra kit may well get in the way, both physically and psychically. I have definitely been there and done that myself.

Within reason sometimes less is more, and that can apply to kit.

Jul 12, 2013 at 04:31 PM
tobicus
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

Less is definitely more. On solo weddings, I do pretty much everything with one body and one lens. Too much stuff stresses me out.

Jul 12, 2013 at 05:58 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #3 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

tobicus wrote:
Less is definitely more. On solo weddings, I do pretty much everything with one body and one lens. Too much stuff stresses me out.

And what will happen when your lens or camera break when shooting at the wedding ? No pics for the people that got married.........great service....

Jul 12, 2013 at 06:58 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.3 #4 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

Lars Johnsson wrote:
And what will happen when your lens or camera break when shooting at the wedding ?.........great service....

. Neither has ever happened, but if either did, I'd just go to my gear bag and pick up another body and lens.

Jul 12, 2013 at 07:09 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.3 #5 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

"There's a rule they don't teach you at the Harvard Business School. It is, if anything is worth doing, it's worth doing to excess." Edwin Land

If it was good enough for Land, it's good enough for me

Jul 12, 2013 at 07:42 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #6 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

tobicus wrote:
. Neither has ever happened, but if either did, I'd just go to my gear bag and pick up another body and lens.

But if you have a gear bag with more lenses and bodies, then you are not doing everything with one body and one lens Everyone is of course shooting with one body and one lens in their hands. And the rest in their bags like you.

Jul 12, 2013 at 08:02 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.3 #7 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

Lars Johnsson wrote:
But if you have a gear bag with more lenses and bodies, then you are not doing everything with one body and one lens Everyone is of course shooting with one body and one lens in their hands. And the rest in their bags like you.

You're certainly right that most folks shoot with just one body and lens at a time. I could have elaborated to note that my wedding kit is basically comprised of three bodies and five primes, and that I typically only use one of each at a given wedding. My greater point was that some folks (like me) are uncomfortable with gear collection, and are much more comfortable with smaller amounts of kit.

Jul 12, 2013 at 08:07 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #8 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

Why then make a post saying I do pretty much everything with one body and one lens. Too much stuff stresses me out.

Jul 12, 2013 at 08:18 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.3 #9 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Why then make a post saying I do pretty much everything with one body and one lens. Too much stuff stresses me out.

Because that's what I actually do. As in, when I show up at a wedding, I take my camera out. It has a lens on it. I use that camera with that lens for the whole wedding. Then I go find my gear bag and put my camera (and lens) back into it. When shooting weddings, it's generally assumed that you have backup gear, so when someone mentions what they use during the day, they're typically talking about what they use during the day, rather than what they have but aren't using or what they left at home or what they could borrow from a friend if they needed.

Jul 12, 2013 at 08:21 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #10 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

Now that you've reached a common understanding, we can move on.

Jul 12, 2013 at 08:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

tobicus
• • •
p.3 #11 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

^ Agreed!

Jul 12, 2013 at 08:36 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.3 #12 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

Gear Addiction is about the gear you own. Not about how little lenses/bodies you use in one day.
I own a lot of lenses/cameras. But I never use all those in one day

Jul 12, 2013 at 08:41 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.3 #13 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

David Baldwin wrote:
"A secondary false belief that often pops up as a counterpoint to the gear lust holds that you will be more creative if you have less gear. "

Now actually I disagree. Once you have the absolute sensible minimum for the kind of work you routinely do, extra kit may well get in the way, both physically and psychically. I have definitely been there and done that myself.

+1

Jul 12, 2013 at 08:42 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

David Baldwin wrote:

I don't disagree with that. I was thinking about the folks who recommend using, say, one prime in order to make yourself think more creatively.

Basically, you described what I recommended in the rest of my post, and pretty much for the same reasons!

Not sure we disagree after all... ;-)

Dan

Jul 12, 2013 at 09:05 PM
Access
• • •
p.3 #15 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

I think there's a whole spectrum, but most of the active posters here fall on the side of having more than what I see in real life. In my clubs and circles the most expensive we have is a 70-200 f/2.8 and less than 2% have something like that. I've only seen one 'big white' in person in 10 years of photography which often takes me around other photographers. Having even a full frame puts you in the top 10%. I know lots of very active photographers who use a kit zoom, wide-range zoom, or a few simple and inexpensive primes.

In real life I have seen one 'big white' in person, a 300 f/2.8. It was beat up and not in the best shape, hood held on by duct tape and the like. The user was a professional sports photographer. Many photographers I know may be 'addicts' of a different type, addicted to the act of photography itself or that which comes with it. There can be a dark side there too, but it's generally not that bad.

I do agree with Dan on most points, while minimalism can be a useful concept when it comes to logistics, I don't try to use it to bring about creativity or anything like that. I try to stay within balance, buying something new only when I feel like there are clear and compelling times when I would have benefit from it as part of my current shooting experience. While I may have more than the average person, I don't have anywhere near as much as the average person here.

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:42 PM
ggreene
• • •
p.3 #16 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

When I first got back into photography I had a lot more lenses but over the course of time you just find the sweetspot for what you like and what works for you. I sold most of it off. Now I pretty much stick to buying gear I know I will use on a consistent basis.

While there is a lot of gear out there that I would like to have, I also know that it will sit for large stretches of time and that's not a very good use for money that is hard to come by these days. Also, a lot of my gear lust revolves around 2.8 super teles but the back of my mind keeps saying how much motivation do you really have to lug that weight around. I don't like tripods/monopods so I'm strictly hand held.

Jul 13, 2013 at 12:38 AM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.3 #17 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

Interesting thread.

I am sort of a gear junky, but feel you can acquire some interesting items if you can reach further than just L lens lust. There are quirky and rewarding lenses and camera systems that one can enjoy for less money than what golfers, boaters, etc spend.

I own about 25 or so lenses, three digital bodies, 4x5 system, 6x7 system, Polaroid 180, six tripods, video gear and lots of lighting. I enjoy most of it and its fun to focus on one little used lens for day, etc. Photography is fun so enjoy!!!

Jul 13, 2013 at 01:00 AM
alfarmer
• • • •
p.3 #18 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

I can't relate to feeling like better gear will make me a better photographer, though I've seen that posited many times on forums & such. I figure I've the talent/eye I have and will be improving that with whatever gear I own at the time. Plus I have the luxury of making pictures for me and nobody else, so all that matters is whether or not I like them. :-)

That said, I am a TOTAL gear-fiend. But I don't believe it's a "problem" (for me) and I've no hesitation standing up and OWNING it. The other thing I don't understand is people feeling guilty for liking something or having a tech-based hobby. Life is too short -- live it!

Jul 13, 2013 at 02:09 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.3 #19 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

When I was age 7, Coca Cola and Orange Crush were giving away tons of prizes under their soda pop bottle cap liners, and I won a black and white Polaroid instant camera.

My real gear addiction started at age 12, when I was introduced to SLR cameras and darkrooms. I saved up $50 to buy a Russian-made Zenit-E and then it started happening. I wanted a handheld light meter. I wanted more lenses. I wanted filters. I wanted to try different papers. Different films. Tri-X. Kodachrome. Infrared. Slide.

Gear addiction has been fun, if not expensive.

But you only live once!

Have a great weekend. Happy shooting!!

Jul 13, 2013 at 03:51 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.3 #20 · Gear Addiction - Interesting Article

I have a friend that had acute, self-serving gear acquisition syndrome.

True A.S.S.G.A.S. and it would often clear the room when he cracked open his Pelican case(s). Nobody could take the wanton and bold celebration of G.A.S.

Jul 13, 2013 at 06:24 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password