Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Workshops?

DennisC
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Workshops?

Anyone attended a sports photography workshop, e.g., Sportsshooter or Peter Read Miller?

Was it useful and worth the dough?

Thanks.

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:35 AM
gome1122
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Workshops?

There was a small one in my area and It was $100 I think for press passes to 2 games and 2 classes(one before and after to shot photos). I did it just to get the press pases and I thought it was worth it, I picked up a few tips and it's nice to meet other sports shooters in the area.

Jul 11, 2013 at 07:20 PM
innaeddy1
• • •
p.1 #3 · Workshops?

Dennis, Randy Sartin has done the SS one twice and had good things to say, he went a few years ago and to the last one,

Andy

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:02 PM
DennisC
• • •
p.1 #4 · Workshops?

Thanks, Andy. I'll have to check with him.

Jul 12, 2013 at 12:40 AM
rdalrt
• •
p.1 #5 · Workshops?

I have been to PRM's workshop in Denver. Was it useful? For sure. I had a blast and learned a bunch from not only from Peter but the other workshop participants and instructors as well (Shawn Cullen is a wealth of info and a great resource). Worth the dough? For me, I would say so. But whether or not you want to put out the cash for it is something only you can decide. Though I think I saw that the cost for his workshop went up this year a bit.

I was all set to go to the last Sportsshooter Academy as well, but couldn't make the time off work. One of the shooters I met at PRM's workshop though went to it. He said it was worthwhile, but didn't feel it was as beneficial as PRM's workshop as it was a bit less personal due simply to the fact there were more participants.

Either way, if you are serious about shooting sports I think either would be worth attending once.

Jul 12, 2013 at 01:07 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Workshops?

Dennis...Billy Hurst recently (this year) attended the ShortShooter Academy. I'm sure if you contact him he'd give you any info you need.

Jul 13, 2013 at 01:03 PM
psurrette
• •
p.1 #7 · Workshops?

I agree with Brent(rdalrt), we attended the same year of PRM Workshop in Denver. Well worth the time and cost if you are serious about improving your craft. Not only Peter, but all the mentors were easy to talk with, willing to take as much time as needed one on one with you. Shawn Cullen could do his own lighting workshop for two days, he was awesome. Peter is now doing a fall workshop in Atlanta along with Denver in the spring. I would highly recommend taking a look.

Pete

rdalrt wrote:
I have been to PRM's workshop in Denver. Was it useful? For sure. I had a blast and learned a bunch from not only from Peter but the other workshop participants and instructors as well (Shawn Cullen is a wealth of info and a great resource). Worth the dough? For me, I would say so. But whether or not you want to put out the cash for it is something only you can decide. Though I think I saw that the cost for his workshop went up this year a bit.

I was all set to go to the last
...Show more

Jul 13, 2013 at 04:08 PM
picboy
• •
p.1 #8 · Workshops?

i haven't been to Peter Miller's workshop but having worked along side of him for years I can certify he is extremely good at coaching people. He will point out tons of 'little' things you would take years to pick up on your own. On top of that, he is a great guy that is super talented as photographer (proven by his award winning and SI work)

Jul 13, 2013 at 04:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rsartin
• •
p.1 #9 · Workshops?

I think that either SS or PRM's are WELL worth the $$$, and another one to look at is http://www.photographyatthesummit.com/sports_photography_workshop.html

I have made enough $$$ from the contacts I made at SportsShooter Academy to pay for it many times over...plus I managed to learn a bit

Jul 14, 2013 at 07:33 PM
DennisC
• • •
p.1 #10 · Workshops?

Guys, thanks again for the input.

Randy, thanks for stoppin' by and commenting. Glad to hear it was worthwhile for ya.

Jul 15, 2013 at 02:25 AM
RyanL
• •
p.1 #11 · Workshops?

Whats the price on SSA? It doesn't show it for last year that I could find.

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Scullen

p.1 #12 · Workshops?

This years SSA, Wednesday November 5 to Sunday November 9, is $849. However, college and university students accepted into the workshop will attend tuition-free through the generous funding from Nikon Professional Services

May 14, 2014 at 04:56 PM
Top Gun
• •
p.1 #13 · Workshops?

rsartin wrote:
I think that either SS or PRM's are WELL worth the $$$, and another one to look at is http://www.photographyatthesummit.com/sports_photography_workshop.html

I did this one a few years ago in Colorado Springs. The price is kind of high BUT I learned a lot of stuff that would have taken me a while to figure out on my own. Especially about remotes and the business side of photography. I wouldn't mind doing it again just for the contacts and for a refresher!

-Isaiah

May 14, 2014 at 05:34 PM
dbuono

p.1 #14 · Workshops?

I just attended PRM's workshop this year in Denver. I believe that it was well worth the money and you will learn a significant amount from the group. Peter is awesome and will talk about anything you are interested in and teach you anything you have questions about. Also, the group is small enough to have much better opportunities to get advice/direction from the teachers that are their. My favorite pics of mine from the workshop can be seen at this link:

http://www.buonophotography.com/p86878158

May 14, 2014 at 06:36 PM
Monkey Falls
• •
p.1 #15 · Workshops?

I attended the SSA last year. The instructors were great. They were obviously very knowledgeable, and they were very approachable. I got the feeling, though, that the workshop has outgrown the ability of the staff to manage it. There were more than 50 participants. On more than one occasion, we showed up to an event and no one there was expecting us. Events were cancelled or moved to different locations and participants would show up and have no idea where to go or what to do.

I made great contacts, had fun and learned from everyone, but I think it would have been a better experience if it had been half as many people.

May 14, 2014 at 08:08 PM
EyrePhoto

p.1 #16 · Workshops?

Does anyone know when Peter Read Miller will be hosting in Atlanta again? Was on his sight and found dates for San Francisco, unfortunately the West Coast is a little too far...

May 14, 2014 at 09:29 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password