Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Carl Auer, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Swimming, A first for me

innaeddy1
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Swimming, A first for me

My first time shooting a swim meet. It was hectic to say the least, as this was a rec swim meet. I would guess that a high school or higher competion would have been less. I went in not knowing the format and just learned on the fly. I knew the strokes and what I wanted to shoot/capture, such as on the butterfly with the arms stretched, and emerging from the water on the backstroke. I think I tried to hard to capture every thing and in doing so missed some shots of the upper level swimmers that can really propel their body out of the water. I used the logic that I use when shooting other rec league sports, and that is to shoot the younger kids the most to maximize sales.
I was hired and payed to do a team shot, and if I wanted to stay for the meet to pick up extra sales I could.
A few things I learned and need to improve before my next meet

1. The little kids on a lot of the photos looked like just a head bobing in the water. I had to find creative ways to make them appear they were actually swimming and not just playing in the water.
2. The older and more advanced kids really kick a lot of water on the turn flip, so either get higher, futher away from the edge, or have some type of protection.
3. Knowing what strokes before the gun goes off and which way they are swimming especially in the medleys.
4. Take a wide/fish eye to get the start on some, to have something different not just the side and coming towards.

Any way thats just some things that stuck out the most, so here are 4 and the team shot

thanks
Andy

Jul 11, 2013 at 08:03 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Swimming, A first for me

Andy, those first two shroud shots are great!

Jul 11, 2013 at 08:29 AM
DennisC
• • •
p.1 #3 · Swimming, A first for me

innaeddy1 wrote:
...It was hectic to say the least, as this was a rec swim meet. I would guess that a high school or higher competion would have been less...
It's not

Nice work!

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:40 AM
BillP57
• • •
p.1 #4 · Swimming, A first for me

Very nice shots, Andy. The first is great as a close-up, but I'm wondering if a little wider would show his wake and give more sense of movement?

Bill

Jul 11, 2013 at 01:06 PM
innaeddy1
• • •
p.1 #5 · Swimming, A first for me

Thanks Paul,

DennisC, thanks and I guess I should get used to the crazy/hectic the way these meets are done

Bill, thanks, I was shooting in vertical on this shot so I wouldn't cut off the hands. The crop is more on the top and bottom not so much on the sides. I will add that to my list for next time

Andy

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:58 PM
picboy

p.1 #6 · Swimming, A first for me

very nice!

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Hammy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Swimming, A first for me

Andy,

Great stuff!

Which pool are your kids in?
Two of my daughters were swimming for Big Ridge and I was at several of their meets shooting. But we're done now having an event in Australia and now at DD WS for two weeks. Just wondering if we missed?

Jul 12, 2013 at 02:19 AM
kris416
• •
p.1 #8 · Swimming, A first for me

P Alesse wrote:
Andy, those first two shroud shots are great!

Agreed! Really stand out. Great stuff.

Jul 12, 2013 at 02:51 AM
innaeddy1
• • •
p.1 #9 · Swimming, A first for me

picboy and kris416 thanks for the comments.

thanks Hammy, I was shooting for the Stuart Heights pool, my son is not on a team, he swims about as fast as a turtle can cross the road. He stays on the ballfield all summer. This is the only meet that I went to. I am sure we have crossed paths at the store or something and never knew who each other are. When you get home from SouthHaven and if you have time give me a holler would like to at least meet you since we live like 2 miles from one another. And try and stay cool in the furnace I mean Snowden Grove Park

Andy

Jul 12, 2013 at 05:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

fdevyatkin
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Swimming, A first for me

Love those first two!
We're you using a zoom or a prime?
Lighting is great.
Fred

Jul 12, 2013 at 08:41 PM
innaeddy1
• • •
p.1 #11 · Swimming, A first for me

thanks Fred, I was using just the Canon 70-200-2.8 with a Mark4

Andy

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Swimming, A first for me

Andy...the first 2 for me as well. I just picked up a fisheye and I've also thought about is use for swimming as well. It should provide some interesting views.

Jul 13, 2013 at 12:38 PM
jmcaverly
• • •
p.1 #13 · Swimming, A first for me

NIce photos. Like the first two.

Jul 13, 2013 at 01:08 PM
picboy

p.1 #14 · Swimming, A first for me

frank, put that fisheye in a housing, on a camera of course, and you have a GREAT swim camera for starts (if the pool is deep enough)

Jul 13, 2013 at 04:57 PM
pzoos

p.1 #15 · Swimming, A first for me

very nice shot and cooler one

Jul 14, 2013 at 06:22 PM
innaeddy1
• • •
p.1 #16 · Swimming, A first for me

pzoos, jmcaverly, and Frank thanks.......... Frank I agree on the fish...........

Andy

Jul 14, 2013 at 10:03 PM
picboy

p.1 #17 · Swimming, A first for me

btw, try some side angles on breaststroke and fly next time. mixes it up and gives a better angle than head on.

Jul 17, 2013 at 02:27 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password