FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · photography funk....

Michaelparris
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · photography funk....

Im in one.....
My gear just sits begging me to use it...
No ganas....
You been there? If so, please help.....

Thanx...

Jul 10, 2013 at 09:08 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · photography funk....

I dig your work, Michael, so I look forward to your getting out of the funk.

When I've been in a funk, I've gotten myself out of it by trying new things, whether it be throwing on the macro lens and searching for bugs in the garden, or trying out a new lighting technique. Or just go back to something you really enjoy shooting.

I look forward to seeing whatever you post. This week.

Jul 10, 2013 at 09:37 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · photography funk....

friscoron wrote:
I dig your work, Michael, so I look forward to your getting out of the funk.

When I've been in a funk, I've gotten myself out of it by trying new things, whether it be throwing on the macro lens and searching for bugs in the garden, or trying out a new lighting technique. Or just go back to something you really enjoy shooting.

I look forward to seeing whatever you post. This week.

Your kind words mean more than you realize.....

Jul 10, 2013 at 09:47 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · photography funk....

It happens to all of us brother. It's okay to put down the camera for a while or switch gears. I've gone in and out of photography multiple times over the last several years. Ron's suggestion of shooting something que te de la ganas is another good idea. I think my favorite subjects are my wife and my cats; find yours and shoot them!

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:44 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · photography funk....

buy/trade for some new gear. look at someone's work you admire and set a day on the calendar to go to a "Photographer X" inspired shoot. or sell your gear and go to vegas.

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · photography funk....

tobicus wrote:
It happens to all of us brother. It's okay to put down the camera for a while or switch gears. I've gone in and out of photography multiple times over the last several years. Ron's suggestion of shooting something que te de la ganas is another good idea. I think my favorite subjects are my wife and my cats; find yours and shoot them!

Thanks

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · photography funk....

canerino wrote:
buy/trade for some new gear. look at someone's work you admire and set a day on the calendar to go to a "Photographer X" inspired shoot. or sell your gear and go to vegas.

Funny thing is, I have all new gear. Just picked up a Sony a99 with zeiss glass. Probably the best gear I have used to date....went to Vegas a few weeks ago, that place is a shit hole

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:12 PM
thebrick

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · photography funk....

Shoot something with a medium format camera. Something about ground glass and 120 negatives changes you on the inside.

You could also take this time to work on your website!

You could also just go out for a drink or take a vacation!

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · photography funk....

I need you to go to either the Miner's Ravine at daylight and capture some shots of the mammals that reside there or go to the Antique Trove for some rare and interesting subjects. A good round of sporting clays would not hurt either.

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:50 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · photography funk....

thebrick wrote:
Shoot something with a medium format camera. Something about ground glass and 120 negatives changes you on the inside.

You could also take this time to work on your website!

You could also just go out for a drink or take a vacation!

Just sold my MF camera. For the longest time it just sat....
Good call on the website suggestion....

Jul 11, 2013 at 01:13 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · photography funk....

All good suggestions.

Looking forward to your next post, after the funk is over.

Jul 11, 2013 at 02:25 AM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · photography funk....

Yeah I CBF right now...Haven't touched the gear in 4 weeks.
Shooting a little family Sunday, so that might get the ball rolling.

Jul 11, 2013 at 02:57 AM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · photography funk....

Jim Rickards wrote:
All good suggestions.

Looking forward to your next post, after the funk is over.

Thanks

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:10 AM
c-boogie

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · photography funk....

I've been in one regarding my personal work - haven't shot much of anything in a while. One thing that I have done recently to get out of it is write a sort of 'artist statement' on a body of work I'd like to put together (mind you, this has not lead to a lot of shooting yet...but I'm getting there).

What I realized about my own work is that I was too haphazard in my shooting, trying out new styles or shooting techniques, but over many years I've seen common themes and similar subject matter coming up. What the artist statement did was outline one particular subject. It's helped me better understand some of my past work. I'm going through sort of a photographic revival of my own - trying to make the break from finding things to shoot to being more authoritative. The statement has really helped bring that together. It's helped me approach working in a whole new way.

Another side effect of the statement is that, while thinking it through, I started thinking very deliberately about my lighting, and this has lead into the design of a new light modifier that has been in the works for a while now. Granted, building stuff in the garage is not exactly taking photos, but it's "filling the well" so to speak. It's giving me the traction I need to put my first project into motion.

I plan on writing another statement to help me outline landscape work - put some meaning behind what I'm doing to help me think things through and hopefully see things more clearly when I'm in the field.

Hope this is of some help.

Jul 11, 2013 at 01:14 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · photography funk....

I think the Muses go on vacation regularly. The problem is they don't check with us to see when it is convenient.

I used to get panicky, especially when I was a full time pro, when I got in a photo funk. I finally realized that I just had to wait patiently for the Muses to return. They always come back, you just can't say when.

Jul 11, 2013 at 01:38 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · photography funk....

Thanks for all the input....

Jul 11, 2013 at 03:50 PM
paneraica
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · photography funk....

Maybe go out and just do some standard street photography. No posed shots etc. B&W images only. One camera, one lens

DON

Jul 11, 2013 at 06:14 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · photography funk....

Boy, do I know the feeling. Nothing I shoot is worth anything, my images are crap, I spent too much money on gear and trips, and on and on and on. Difference between you and me? In my case it's all true!

I don't know what to suggest -- talking about it on FM is a good place to start. Good luck with it.

Keith

Jul 11, 2013 at 07:03 PM
seebeyond
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · photography funk....

Did you see this from zack arias?

Jul 11, 2013 at 07:17 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · photography funk....

paneraica wrote:
Maybe go out and just do some standard street photography. No posed shots etc. B&W images only. One camera, one lens

DON

maybe I'll try that....

Jul 11, 2013 at 07:56 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.