Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 1Dx Service recall

wcj0
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1Dx Service recall

Brought my 1Dx to Canon NJ's new repair center in RIdgefield Park this morning for the Mirror box lubrication or replacement recall. I was also having sporadic over exposures where if i set the f stop and iso to a certain range, on some of the shots the sutter speed would change drastically to a slower speed and overexpose the shot. Happened in either A or M modes. I had written a note explaning this to them and gave it to the receptionest however he forgot to give it to the technician. About an hour later after performing the mirror box and sensor cleaning service the tech came out with the body and asked me if i was having problems with the exposure on the camera. I said "yes" just like the note stated. He then informed me that he haden't seen the note. He said that he just wanted to make sure that the service that he had performed on the camera wasn't the cause of the problem. When i told him that that was one of he reasons for bringing the camera in, he was relieved that " he" haden't caused the problem. He then proceded to tell me that when he hooked the camera to the computer to check all of the settings, the exposure part of the program wouldn't change anything. He saw that whatever controlled the exposure settings in the camera wasn't operating. So, I left the camera today and hopefully after dissasembly they will be able to trouble shoot the problem and repair it. I also told him that on a few shots once in a while i would see evidence of the shutter possibly failing because it would leave a slight white border on the right side of the photo frame. The camera at this point is just under a year old and only has 31,000 clicks. Anyway i'm sure they will sort it out. That's why i always choose to drop my stuff off. Jamesburgh was a 2.5 hour drive and the new facility is only 1.25 - 1.5 hours away. well worth the trip. I'll keep everyone informed once i know what failed and what they had to do to repair it. By the way the new facility has a great waiting room and the counter person is also nice to deal with. Unfortunately only CPS members can bring their gear there.

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:14 AM
harrygilbert
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1Dx Service recall

Troubling that the tech hadn't seen the note.

I've had the same thing happen with cameras sent to Canon for repair. I'd get the camera back with a service note referencing that some part was tested (but not the one I clearly noted as problematic in text and with pictures and example images) was working to spec. So I had to send cameras in again -- at my expense for postage and insurance. Unfortunately, I don't live near enough to Canon service center to drop it off.

Jul 11, 2013 at 04:38 PM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1Dx Service recall

well the're not right around the corner for me either. When i used to bring it to jamesburgh, i would have them ship it back to me because round trip was usually 5-7hrs round trip depinding on traffic. and then like you, i would request a mailing lable and ship it back to them since i usually noticed righr away that what they repaired didn't work out. However, now the round trip is aprox 2-3.5 hours so I will be going back to pick up my 1Dx. They serviced my 1DsMIII yesterday while i waited, and unfortunately had to do the cleaning twice. I always bring a lens with me to make sure cleaning is done properly even though i usuall clean it myself. Will be calling later this afternoon to find out if and when i can pick up the 1Dx tomorrow. Hopefully they found out what the problem with the exposure was and were able to repair it. We'll see.

Jul 11, 2013 at 05:06 PM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1Dx Service recall

Well called Canon today and it seems as though the tech narrowed the problem down to a defective pentaprisim. So they replaced the pentaprisim and tomorrow i will be going back to pick it up. Hopefully the diagnosis was correct and the end of the sporadic over exposures and the mirror box fix was accomplished. Will bring a lens along and try out the body before i leave. Let everyone know how it works out.

Jul 11, 2013 at 08:47 PM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1Dx Service recall

Well picked up my camera today and it seems as though the exposure processor and what looked like the board for that the light source focuses on were replaced not the actual pentaprism assembly. However in order to get these " parts " the whole pentaprism assembly had to be ordered. I feel more confortable knowing that this is what was replace rather than just a "mirror" since i couldn't understand how a mirror could be good one time and not another time since the pentaprism mirror doesn't move. It was the electronics of it all. Have to wait and see how this fix pans out. Hopefully they hit it on the head. The lubrication and cleaning were also done. I can't even explain how much different it was dealing with this location verses Jamesburgh. THe person meeting and greating you and taking care of your issues namen Carlos was excillent! The service technician whos name i don't know was also excillent. Probably the best service experiance that i have ever had with Canon up until now. Well i have to do some shooting to make sure my "baby" is operating properly now. WCJ0

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:00 PM
marty bober
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1Dx Service recall

Nice write up and good luck with your 1Dx. Excellent camera. I go to the Jamesburg, NJ center but have to remember to go to the Ridgefield Park, NJ facility because it is much closer to me. Thanks for the information......

Jul 14, 2013 at 04:05 AM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1Dx Service recall

Just in case you don't know about the Ridgefield park location, it's for gold and platinum members only and you do have to call to set-up an appointment with them. However I believe it's well worth the time and effort. Ask for Carlos, he's the person who sets up everything. He was originally at jamesburg.

Jul 14, 2013 at 04:50 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

latimes

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1Dx Service recall

My new 1DX is also defective and has exposure and AF issues and black dots in my viewfinder then it stopped focusing all together. I sent the body to canon and their document showed the mirror box was replaced. Now 2 weeks later the same trouble. I travel as a journalist and need a camera that is extra reliable. I have 2 days to return the camera. I can't have equipment that fails. I'll try another copy but I'm not letting canon repair a brand new camera again. At 6,800 USD it should not be defective in any way. Cheers

Oct 20, 2013 at 03:27 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1Dx Service recall

At 6,800 USD it should not be defective in any way.

That's for sure. It's inexcusable that a camera in this price range has the problems that are being reported. A camera this expensive should go through a special QC procedure as part of the overall manufacturing process to absolutely minimze the chance of failure in the field. And if the problem is not at the manufacturing stage -- but at the design/engineering stage -- then Canon has really failed.

John

Oct 20, 2013 at 05:02 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1Dx Service recall

BluesWest wrote:
That's for sure. It's inexcusable that a camera in this price range has the problems that are being reported. A camera this expensive should go through a special QC procedure as part of the overall manufacturing process to absolutely minimze the chance of failure in the field. And if the problem is not at the manufacturing stage -- but at the design/engineering stage -- then Canon has really failed.

John

Just like Ferrari failed with early 458's catching fire. They identified the problem and fixed it going forward. These things happen. The 1Dx may be fairly expensive for a camera, but its not a high end $200k sports car.

Oct 20, 2013 at 05:36 PM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1Dx Service recall

Canon updates firmware for the EOS-1D X and EOS-1D C:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/10/22/canon-updates-firmware-for-eos-1d-x-and-eos-1d-c?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_1

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:05 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1Dx Service recall

Holy moly my prayers have been answered. EC in M mode with auto Iso and min shutter as high as you want. This needs its own thread.

Oct 22, 2013 at 02:21 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1Dx Service recall

arbitrage wrote:
Holy moly my prayers have been answered. EC in M mode with auto Iso and min shutter as high as you want. This needs its own thread.

Already has one, although it includes all upgrades.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1248918

Now, there's two threads,

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1248969

Oct 22, 2013 at 02:25 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password