Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · 600 f/4 IS MkII vs. 600 f/4 VR

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 600 f/4 IS MkII vs. 600 f/4 VR

The DXO boys have done their test chart shooting evaluation of Canon's and Nikon's 600mm f/4 lenses, and here's their report.

I do not have enough patience to read that stuff beyond the synopsis, however, even if all other performance parameters are similar, my opinion is that the 5.06 kg lens (Nikkor) is majorly outclassed by the 3.92 kg lens (Canon) when it comes to ergonomics, and the resulting manner and scope of use. Like night and day.

Edited on Jul 10, 2013 at 11:58 PM · View previous versions

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:55 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · 600 f/4 IS MkII vs. 600 f/4 VR

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:57 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · 600 f/4 IS MkII vs. 600 f/4 VR

Jinx, you owe me a Coke!

(tie on 'Likes' )

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:59 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · 600 f/4 IS MkII vs. 600 f/4 VR

Not any more.

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:06 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · 600 f/4 IS MkII vs. 600 f/4 VR

Thanks for the link, Peter.

Is that a typo in the title actually: Nikon 500 vs Canon 600 although the actual comparison is for both 600mm. I am not familiar with their testing or they way they represent the result either but considering that both lenses received "26", while the Nikon was tested using a higher "resolving" camera, the D800, and the Canon with a lowly 5D Mark III, that means that the Canon is actually a "sharper" lens, for lack of a better word. Well, they even mentioned it right there . I cannot wait to try the 600mm Mark II on a higher resolving camera when it is available .

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:12 AM
dolina
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · 600 f/4 IS MkII vs. 600 f/4 VR

Peter any word on the 800s from Canon or Nikon?

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:14 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · 600 f/4 IS MkII vs. 600 f/4 VR

AGeoJO wrote:
Thanks for the link, Peter.

Is that a typo in the title actually: Nikon 500 vs Canon 600 although the actual comparison is for both 600mm. I am not familiar with their testing or they way they represent the result either but considering that both lenses received "26", while the Nikon was tested using a higher "resolving" camera, the D800, and the Canon with a lowly 5D Mark III, that means that the Canon is actually a "sharper" lens, for lack of a better word. Well, they even mentioned it right there . I cannot wait to try the 600mm.
...Show more

Joshua, I am waiting for the same camera as you are. I think 18 MP or even 22 MP cameras do not do the MkII lenses justice.

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:14 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · 600 f/4 IS MkII vs. 600 f/4 VR

dolina wrote:
Peter any word on the 800s from Canon or Nikon?

I know nothing about those, pareng Paolo.
Nikon might have sold 3-4 of their 800s in the States this spring.
As far as 800L II is concerned, I see a few reasons why Canon might release it early now......probably at $18,000 or thereabouts.

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.1 #9 · 600 f/4 IS MkII vs. 600 f/4 VR

PetKal wrote:
The DXO boys have done their test chart shooting evaluation of Canon's and Nikon's 600mm f/4 lenses, and here's their report.

I do not have enough patience to read that stuff beyond the synopsis, however, even if all other performance parameters are similar, my opinion is that the 5.06 kg lens (Nikkor) is majorly outclassed by the 3.92 kg lens (Canon) when it comes to ergonomics, and the resulting manner and scope of use. Like night and day.

... Canon's 600 II is "the one"

Night and day, you are the one
Only you 'neath the moon or under the sun
Whether near to me or far
It's no matter, darling, where you are
I think of you day and night

Night and day, why is it so
That this longin' for you follows wherever I go ?
In the roarin' traffic's boom
In the silence of my lonely room
I think of you day and night

Night and day, under the hide of me
There's an oh, such a hungry yearnin' burnin' inside of me
And its torment won't be through
Till you let me spend my life makin' love to you
Day and night, night and day

- Cole Porter

Quite appropriate, eh?

Db

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:42 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #10 · 600 f/4 IS MkII vs. 600 f/4 VR

PetKal wrote:
I know nothing about those, pareng Paolo.
Nikon might have sold 3-4 of their 800s in the States this spring.
As far as 800L II is concerned, I see a few reasons why Canon might release it early now......probably at $18,000 or thereabouts.

Oh, what I meant was a DxO comparison like the one you just posted.

I think for the performance, weight and lens design age Canon and Nikon are priced appropriately.

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #11 · 600 f/4 IS MkII vs. 600 f/4 VR

Really strange that the Canon 1DMKIV wasn't on the list of tested...

Jul 11, 2013 at 05:33 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #12 · 600 f/4 IS MkII vs. 600 f/4 VR

According to their tests the 300 and the 400 are the best of Canon's new telephotos. Amazing scores. Wow.

Jul 11, 2013 at 05:36 AM
fraga
• • • •
p.1 #13 · 600 f/4 IS MkII vs. 600 f/4 VR

If you choose two cameras with roughly* the same resolution, it's perhaps easier to compare the two lenses.
Not the same as using the same sensor of course, but sill, me thinks we should get a better idea as to how their real performance compares.

D3S vs 5D (both 12MP FF sensors):

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Lenses/Compare-Camera-Lenses/Compare-lenses/(lens1)/1175/(lens2)/394/(brand1)/Nikkor/(camera1)/628/(brand2)/Canon/(camera2)/176

*I could be mistaken, but I believe the D3s has a stronger AA filter than the 5D.

Jul 11, 2013 at 08:48 AM
subjectochange
• •
p.1 #14 · 600 f/4 IS MkII vs. 600 f/4 VR

I tried comparing the performance with 5D3 vs. the D600 (I know they're not the same price bracket, but the sensors have similar resolution), and the Canon is only leading by 1 point, despite a considerable advantage in the sharpness scores (20 MPix vs 16), not to mention CA. Maybe there's something about the strong 5D3 AA filter?

I'm convinced that DxOMark is quite biased in favor of Nikon for some reason. I wonder about if we used the eye test on the same subjects, would the sharper combination would be obvious?

Jul 11, 2013 at 02:47 PM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.1 #15 · 600 f/4 IS MkII vs. 600 f/4 VR

I don't know if DxOMark is 'biased', but they're not perfect. They also seem to use the 'dynamic range' argument for rating Nikon higher with arguably inferior Nikon glass.

I'll use them to compare lenses for say the 5D III, but comparing lenses between systems just doesn't lead to consistent results.

Jul 11, 2013 at 03:32 PM
fraga
• • • •
p.1 #16 · 600 f/4 IS MkII vs. 600 f/4 VR

johnctharp wrote:
I'll use them to compare lenses for say the 5D III, but comparing lenses between systems just doesn't lead to consistent results.

Indeed.
I agree.

Though one can argue that relevance lies on the outcome and the outcome is a combination of lens+camera.
In that aspect, it does not matter if lens A is sharper than lens B from another manufacturer if lens B + camera output is sharper (or better, including overall aspects) than lens A plus camera from that manufacturer.
Case in point: 600IS is sharper but you can't use it on a D800...

Jul 11, 2013 at 03:47 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · 600 f/4 IS MkII vs. 600 f/4 VR

fraga wrote:
Case in point: 600IS is sharper but you can't use it on a D800...

Good point, Luis, as I suspect that in some ways D800 would give me better results on 600 II than what 1DX does.

IMO Canon needs to put their arses in gear and get us some good high pixel density cameras soon, preferably full frame, which would allow us to benefit fully from the high resolving power of (very expensive) new lenses.

Jul 11, 2013 at 04:28 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · 600 f/4 IS MkII vs. 600 f/4 VR

PetKal wrote:

I looked at it a bit and was puzzled by the bodies they were using to do the comparison - 5diii vs d800.
D800 is 4 fps. I would not think that bird/animal photographers would be using a d800. Even the 5diii at 6fps is a bit weak. They should have compared 1Dx (12fps/18mpx) vs D4 (10fps/17mpx).

Then they conclude that Nikon matches Canon because, even though 600 f4 v2 canon is better than Nikon equivalent, the D800 resolution causes them to be even.

In virtually every category, the Canon does significantly better (lower distortion, lower CA, less barrel) but they conclude even because of the d800.

I don't agree with their conclusion:
1) Canon is lighter
2) Canon has better iq when you have equivelent bodies
3) The bodies they compare would not likely be used (particularly d800) for wildlife/birds
4) People buying 600 are buying it for 5 years not this year alone and Canon is likely to produce a high mpx camera that could match the resolution of d800 but likely no one would want it for this purpose.
5) In addition, I don't like Dxo sharpness measure - it is obscure. I often find if I look at thedigitalpicture side by sides that even if two lens are ranked similarly I would prefer one over another because sometimes Dxo ingnores the edges and ranks the highest IQ at optimal fstop rather than the lowest fstop etc. In other words, I cannot tell what they are measuring with their sharpness scale and are they comparing f5.6 vs F4.
6) Nikon is cheaper

And from the data - I would say, ignoring cost, and using a wildlife orientated body the Canon 600v2 is a significantly better lens for iq and ease of use - and is a clear winner.

Nikon does have some better lens than Canon but not many. The d800/14-24 is my only temptation to have two systems. And now that canon 200-400 is better than the nikon 200-400 (1.4 built in alone makes it better), I am less tempted to Nikon. But if Canon does not match the mpx and dynamic range soon, I might be tempted to d800/14-24.

Jul 11, 2013 at 06:16 PM
Mark K
• •
p.1 #19 · 600 f/4 IS MkII vs. 600 f/4 VR

Having both D800 and 5D3, I found my answers here in DxO...all within my expectations. I believe the IQ of both lenses are great....and the only difference will be the weight

Jul 12, 2013 at 01:20 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · 600 f/4 IS MkII vs. 600 f/4 VR

Scott Stoness wrote:
I looked at it a bit and was puzzled by the bodies they were using to do the comparison - 5diii vs d800.
D800 is 4 fps. I would not think that bird/animal photographers would be using a d800. Even the 5diii at 6fps is a bit weak. They should have compared 1Dx (12fps/18mpx) vs D4 (10fps/17mpx).

Presumably they chose each brand's highest-resolution camera for the test, so as to minimize the affects of sensor limitations on the final results.

Jul 12, 2013 at 11:52 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password