Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Too much PP?

soldeace

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Too much PP?

I often hear that I'm heavy handed with post-processing. I realize it's true sometimes. In your opinion, do you think the PP is too much in the following photo?

And here is the original version:

Edit: including also a second PPed version with less shadows.

Edited on Jul 11, 2013 at 10:05 PM · View previous versions

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Too much PP?

First, welcome to Photo Critique!

I must agree with your critics, yes. Understand this is a matter of taste for the most part, but in each instance the sky is quite blown out while the shadows best rendered in #3.

And, you've selected an image that even on the best of days would be a challenge for most folks to balance the sky & shadows. Something with the sky closer to the the original and shadows closer to the second processed image would be in the ballpark - at least for my tastes.

Please share more images with us,

Regards,

Bob

Out of curiosity, I reworked the original in HDR Efex Pro 2 using the Outdoor-2 settings. If you object I'll pull the image.

An example of what could be done for images with such high dynamic range - others are much better at this than I but it does convey the idea. It obviously needs some serious WB work

Regards,

Bob

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:47 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Too much PP?

Like Bob said ... it can be pretty subjective.. Some folks like the "heavy handed" colors and others, not so much. But, imo ... if you are going to lean toward heavy handed colors, it is even more important to work on WB / to make keep some neutrals, neutral. IF you have a color cast, the heavy hand only makes them stand out more. Some people like the vibe it gives, but I think it tells on itself a bit. Again, subjective and depends.

That being said, it is the magenta bricks that catch my attention more than the "heavy hand".

Jul 11, 2013 at 01:45 AM
Lee Wiren
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Too much PP?

I did think that the shot had too much PP, like the second edit....but it still seems to have a tad too much magneta for my taste.... but it is a lovely shot.

Jul 11, 2013 at 03:43 AM
soldeace

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Too much PP?

Bob, thank you for the welcome It seems that we dissect images better when the size is reduced. Shortly after posting the 640-pixel versions I've came to the same conclusion as yours.

RustyBug and Lee are right too. The magenta bricks are too distracting. I reduced the color correction effect after bringing up the shadows and the photo as a whole got instantly a better! I'm not at my computer right now, but later I shall post the final result

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Too much PP?

soldeace wrote:
Bob, thank you for the welcome It seems that we dissect images better when the size is reduced. Shortly after posting the 640-pixel versions I've came to the same conclusion as yours.

RustyBug and Lee are right too. The magenta bricks are too distracting. I reduced the color correction effect after bringing up the shadows and the photo as a whole got instantly a better! I'm not at my computer right now, but later I shall post the final result

We (I) also dissect images better when it is someone else's and we're (I'm) not invested in it.

Of course a larger image magnifies the blocked up areas.

Look forward to seeing the edits...

Bob

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:38 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Too much PP?

Bob Jarman wrote:
We (I) also dissect images better when it is someone else's and we're (I'm) not invested in it.

Ain't that the truth ...

I wish I could look at my own efforts with the same perspective.

Also, I don' think it is the size of the posted image that magically changes how/what we see. I can't tell you how many times I've posted something I thought was "finished" and the instant I saw it posted, I immediately recognized something else I had previously missed before posting. Not quite sure how to explain it ... but I certainly know what that feels like to see things differently @ our own vs. others vs. ours after posted for others to see.

Funny too, how after being away from an image for a while, sometimes you come back to it and go "What was I thinking?"

Jul 11, 2013 at 04:27 PM
soldeace

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Too much PP?

Rusty,

Probably that "what the hell was I thinking" feeling has been felt by every human that ever existed, not only those behind the viewfinder. Perhaps because as a Greek philosopher once said, a river isn't the same twice. I now believe the following version of the photo is way better than the previous ones. I may change my mind thoroughly though

Jupiter's Delight by soldeace, on Flickr

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:11 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Too much PP?

Nine times out of ten, I seem to be in a hurry to post process. If I revisit the images in a day or two I often find I want to process them differently. Some time they need to marinate in your subconscious a while.

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Too much PP?

soldeace wrote:
Rusty,

Probably that "what the hell was I thinking" feeling has been felt by every human that ever existed, not only those behind the viewfinder. Perhaps because as a Greek philosopher once said, a river isn't the same twice. I now believe the following version of the photo is way better than the previous ones. I may change my mind thoroughly though

Much improved, good job

Bob

Jul 12, 2013 at 12:31 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password