Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Zebra jumping spiders munching on mosquitoes (pics)

Ecooper

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Zebra jumping spiders munching on mosquitoes (pics)

Iíve been taking photos of zebra jumping spiders (Salticus scenicus) that have been hunting mosquitoes on the screen door to my kitchen. These spiders are really endearing in their movements and ďattitudeĒ...itís too bad they are so tiny. Imagine how much fun they would be if they were the size of a tarantula!

Males of the species are apparently darker in colour, so I believe that the first photo below is of a male, and the second is a female. If anyone can confirm that, please let me know. There are more photos of each specimen on my blog.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 camera; Zuiko 35mm macro lens; manual exposure (F8-F11 @ 1/200 sec); Olympus RF-11 ring flash (1/8-1/4 power); ISO: 200

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

P7040536 2 jumping spider on screen ernie cooper 2013 by ernie.cooper, on Flickr
P7110479 jumping spider screen 2 ernie cooper 2013 by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:18 PM
mak65

p.1 #2 · Zebra jumping spiders munching on mosquitoes (pics)

Ernie:

Great sharp closeups.

Not familiar with the spider so can't confirm male/female. Wouldn't want them the size of tarantulas as then the mosquito would not be their prey. And, we need every one of those pest removed.

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Ecooper

p.1 #3 · Zebra jumping spiders munching on mosquitoes (pics)

Mea culpa

There is a quote circulating on Facebook that basically says that you are doing science wrong if you donít make mistakes; that you are doing science really wrong if you donít correct those mistakes; and that you arenít doing it at all if you donít accept that youíre mistaken.

Well, it turns out that the darker spider is actually a different species: Platycryptus (probably P. californicus). It also turns out that what I thought were mosquitoes were actually non-biting midges (chironomids). Sigh. I have re-edited my blog and corrected these mistakes.

I must be doing GREAT science!

Itís interesting that two very similar species, one introduced and one native, were feeding on the same prey within inches of one another. I wonder whether the two species avoid each other (given their great vision) or if one ever preys on the other?

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

Jul 11, 2013 at 03:41 AM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password