Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Circular polarizer tight

billk55
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Circular polarizer tight

Hey folks - wondering if anyone else has encountered this situation.

I recently bought a new B&W circular polarizer for my Canon 5DII. It's a 77mm model, which fits either of my main lenses. So, I tried this out locally and it worked just fine.

Then, we took a big trip to Russia. Once there, the ring was incredibly tight to turn. In fact, I couldn't turn it with the lens hood on, because just gripping by my fingertips wouldn't give me enough strength.

What should I do? What do you think happened? I'm imagining it's been damaged a bit so it's not quite circular, although I have no memory of anything happening to it. Do you think I should try a little machine oil?

any help would be appreciated!

Jul 10, 2013 at 08:54 PM
3iron
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Circular polarizer tight

If the unit is new, they sometimes "stuff" from the machining in the threads or the threads are just not clean. If you can turn it, try giving it a number of full turns to see if it loosens up, if not, you may have to send it back.

Jul 10, 2013 at 09:57 PM
billk55
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Circular polarizer tight

3iron wrote:
If the unit is new, they sometimes "stuff" from the machining in the threads or the threads are just not clean. If you can turn it, try giving it a number of full turns to see if it loosens up, if not, you may have to send it back.

That was my thought as well 3iron - I've given it probably 10 full turns, with no obvious results. Really hoping not to return it, as I have another big trip planned in about 6 weeks. I guess I'll contact B&W directly and see what they say.

thanks for the reply -

any other ideas out there?

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:28 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Circular polarizer tight

Try turning in the opposite direction. That might free up whatever iituck n there.

Jul 15, 2013 at 02:19 AM
billk55
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Circular polarizer tight

Duh. For some reason, I had not thought of that, runamuck. Thanks for the idea! - can't imagine that my instinctual clockwise turn might not have been the right answer.

At this stage, however, I've been in contact with the B+W folks and shipped the filter back. Hoping they'll do the right thing - either fixing (which would be fine) or replacing

Jul 15, 2013 at 03:23 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kezeka
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Circular polarizer tight

I doubt it was damaged in the first place. CP filters are notoriously good at getting jammed and can be difficult to get off because of rotating front ring. I have found that I just need to clean the threads after every other use and that has reduced the number of times I have had to quite literally engage in combat with my CP filter. The threads are so fine that even a piece of dust can manage to sneak in and jam them up at times, or a couple of grains of sand/dirt/etc.

If it does get stuck again my advice is to first try pointing a blow dryer at it to see if heating it up and then cooling it down releases the jam. Or try putting a rubber band around the CP and try twisting like that.

In any case, this isn't just a problem with the B+W, its a general issue with filters that just happens to occur more often to CP filters due to the thinness of the ring that needs to be physically rotated.

Jul 15, 2013 at 03:31 AM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Circular polarizer tight

I have a b+W cpl filter which I will occ screw onto a uv filter for the sake of convenience and speed. I often need to loosen the UV filter from the lens by approximately 1/2 a turn before the cpl comes off easily. This happens with both of my b+w cpl filters. Not sure if this applies to you.

Jul 15, 2013 at 11:43 AM
billk55
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Circular polarizer tight

Thanks kezeka and dgdg - I'm starting to feel that I know more about these filters than I ever did.

Jul 15, 2013 at 05:25 PM
billk55
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Circular polarizer tight

If any of my new-found friends are tracking this saga...

Just got an email today that B+W is replacing the unit. Can't wait to have it back in my hot little paws. Thanks again to all for their help

Jul 20, 2013 at 04:10 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password