Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Nat Geo Photographer Arrested for Kansas Feedlot Flyover

Craig Gillette
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · Nat Geo Photographer Arrested for Kansas Feedlot Flyover

Don't trespass. Pretty simple. Some photographer/commando decides, "It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission." and gets his knuckles whacked. Kind of makes New York's "Stop and Frisk" searches seem kind of harmless, right? If you've got nothing to hide, you shouldn't mind a few warrantless searches now and then. Maybe let them spend some time going through all of your files on your computer or your camera?

Sep 02, 2013 at 06:03 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · Nat Geo Photographer Arrested for Kansas Feedlot Flyover

+1 @ Craig ... although he left out wire tapping your phone calls and probably a few other things.

For some, the tenets of "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness" and "Don't Tread on Me" that were bought and paid for with the blood, sweat and lives of Patriots before us are not something that we care to squander away ... even if it is would be in favor of our beloved photography from such a tenacious and talented individual, working for such a respected organization (NatGeo) and our passion to "get the shot".

While the history of different countries, societies, generations and demographics may take on a different view of this, those of us who have defended these tenets with our blood, sweat and sacrifices hold them in a different light than others may. Those who do not hold (and/or have never actually sacrificed for their defense) such tenets worthy of defending may see this otherwise.

Imo, the landowner is within his rights to assert that trespassers be charged with trespassing, no matter how trivial someone else may perceive it. This isn't about cameras and aerial pictures, this is about someone's right to protect their own interest in concert with established laws. Imo, the landowner did just that and the Sheriff seemed to agree. If you think that the law should be changed ... call your representative or legislative authority and see if you can get the law changed. Until then ... the trespasser broke the law, the landowner exercised his right to have the law enforced and the Sheriff enforced the law in accordance with its established statutes.

Granted, there are much larger problems in the world today to be contended with than this one. But that doesn't make it any less wrong for the trespasser to trespass, nor any less right for the landowner to protect his interest in accordance with the law, just because some people want to see it otherwise.

Sep 02, 2013 at 03:27 PM
halie
• • •
p.4 #3 · Nat Geo Photographer Arrested for Kansas Feedlot Flyover

If anyone wants to go fly over some feedlots and take some disturbing photos, give me a shout. I'll fly.

Sep 02, 2013 at 07:57 PM
glort
• • •
p.4 #4 · Nat Geo Photographer Arrested for Kansas Feedlot Flyover

RustyBug wrote:
For some, the tenets of "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness" and "Don't Tread on Me" that were bought and paid for with the blood, sweat and lives of Patriots before us are not something that we care to squander away ...
While the history of different countries, societies, generations and demographics may take on a different view of this, those of us who have defended these tenets with our blood, sweat and sacrifices hold them in a different light than others may. Those who do not hold (and/or have never actually sacrificed for their defense) such tenets worthy
...Show more

Seems a bit ironic that you appear to take this so seriously and roll out the patriotic chapter and verse after having initially said:
Personally, I have trespassed with some regularity to get a shot from a farmers field, chasing Bambi, etc. No one has ever said much (well, a couple times were kinda tense) to me regarding the trespass ... BUT ... I am aware that I am liable to be held accountable for such trespass if someone should pursue it.

That seems to me to sound a lot like " Its OK for me to flout the principles people sweated and bled red, white and blue for as long as I am prepared to take the consequences IF I I get caught but anyone else is a traitor if they do the same thing. "

I certainly like to see Thieves and murderers and con men get their comeuppance but I'm a lot more reserved about making a fuss about people getting penalised for the infractions I make myself.
No benefit to me if the law comes down on them or not so I just mind my own business in those cases and try to avoid saying anything hypocritical or might bite me on the bum later.

Getting all fired up about the principals of something and then basically dismissing them by saying " I'll take the consequences if I get caught " in many countries and cultures is a Cop out pure and simple. If one truly believes in the principles they make out they hold dear as well as indignantly hold others to, they respect them in the first place and abide by those principals, not dismiss them when convenient and make a justification for hypocrisy.

But different people in different places have different ideas I suppose.

Sep 03, 2013 at 09:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.4 #5 · Nat Geo Photographer Arrested for Kansas Feedlot Flyover

I also pointed out that it was when there was nobody around from which to get permission at the time or I did not know whom to get such permission. If I have the opportunity to get permission ... I do so first. IF NOT, then I make a decision to proceed or not ... not out of disrespect or intent to harm or get away with it if I can, but being fully aware that I am putting myself at risk of being held accountable to the law if I proceed without such permission. I have also gone to landowners after the trespass to show them what I had shot and ask them if it would be okay (or not) for me to do it again.

Because, I am typically able to assure landowners that I serve no threat to them (either before or after), they typically grant permission ... which falls in line with the "pursuit of happiness" @ no harm to them. The photographer in this case knowingly was avoiding asking permission and was intent to do harm to the landowner (exposure creates havoc) ... quite different perspective @ "pursuit of happiness". However, in either case, the trespass remains a trespass and the landowner retains the right to have the law enforced (or not) at his discretion.

I could have easily omitted my own trespasses from this dialogue and no one would have been the wiser regarding it. Instead, I shared it to acknowledge that I still respect the fact that my desire to "get the shot" does not put me above the law and I may be held accountable to it. In that regard, I hold myself to the same standard that I have indicated here. Trespassing is a violation and the landowner still has the right to have the law enforced if he so chooses at his discretion ... whether that is me or NatGeo. I don't expect everyone to be able to understand, but for those who can, I offer it for consideration.

Sep 03, 2013 at 08:04 PM
gilead
• •
p.4 #6 · Nat Geo Photographer Arrested for Kansas Feedlot Flyover

Do you guys ever get tired of this lol

drofnad wrote:
It is more accurate to suggest that "irregardless" results from the confusion of the other words.

Which confusion can exist for want of clear distinction : piqued by this side-discussion, I'm surprised and frustrated at not finding --in several usage books (Garner, Fowler-I/II/III, ...)-- an explanation of how "regardless" and "irrespective" differ; M-Webster's, e.g., defines the latter by the former! (and in one case doesn't even have the word, but for the form "irrespective of")

Garner's Mod.Legal Usage suggests a Supreme Court ruling on this --to wit:
"... it has found its way into judicial opinions. ... [the late] Chief Justice
...Show more

Sep 03, 2013 at 08:12 PM
drofnad
• •
p.4 #7 · Nat Geo Photographer Arrested for Kansas Feedlot Flyover

gilead wrote:
Do you guys ever get tired of this lol

As that was nearly two months back,
perhaps we had. But thanks for the reminder!

Sep 09, 2013 at 10:27 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password