New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Balto, my first post.

BooBug

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Balto, my first post.

Hi all,

I am very nervous about my first posting here but I think after some time and practice with my new Canon 60D, upgrade from Fuji finepix S5200, I might have an image worth your C&C.

This is my heart and soul, my love, Balto, 4 yr. old Leonberger, at his secret swimming hole on the Eagle River in Gypsum, Co.

thanks in advance for your time and consideration

Stephanie

oh no! has someone found my beach?

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:32 AM
BooBug

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Balto, my first post.

oh my goodness...it's huge. I'm so sorry about that. yikes!

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:43 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Balto, my first post.

Nice lookin' pup Stephanie! Yes, it is a bit large. I usually post at 840 for the longest edge, but sometimes will go to 1080 if landscape. Welcome to the forums!
Douglas

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:05 PM
BooBug

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Balto, my first post.

thank you for the welcome, the tip and the comment, Douglas!

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:43 PM
T-bone1
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Balto, my first post.

What a beautiful fella!

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:57 PM
BooBug

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Balto, my first post.

thank you T-bone1!

Jul 10, 2013 at 01:18 PM
Bert DeMars
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Balto, my first post.

Welcome to FM Stephanie. What's not to love with that face. Keep the work coming.

Jul 10, 2013 at 01:25 PM
John Caldwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Balto, my first post.

Wonderful that you are here, Stephanie. From my selfish perspective, it's a fine thing to have another leonberger photographer in the group. But you'll see quite a few really well photographed dogs shown by a range of FM members.

Balto is one that many would love if they could know him, I am sure. This is a nice shot of the boy. Two thoughts come to mind as possible improvements: This is shot at f1.4 and at this close subject distance, the depth of field is unforgiving. To that end, you'll note the point of focus is at the nape of the neck, and it's only a total depth of maybe two inches. So small errors of focus are very noticeable, and I'll guess that your intent was to have Balto's eyes in focus. Stopping the lens down would, alone, have moved the focus bracket towards the eyes. There would be no harm, especially as your getting comfortable with newer gear, in shooting a given composition over a range of apertures, especially when the subject is so close as it is here. Noting that you had plenty of light so as to shoot ISO 100 1600th at 1.4, you could have still easily handheld to f8.

But it may be that your focus was in fact correctly placed at the eyes, but the camera is back-focusing with this particular lens. That brings up the issue of micro-focus adjustment, often called MA, to fine tine focus precision so that you neither front-focus nor back-focus without intending to.

Lastly the shot feels a little tight, meaning slightly looser framing of Balto would convey a little more of the environmental aspect of the portrait. But this is purely a matter of preference, naturally.

Best wishes to the boy and welcome, Stephanie.

John Caldwell

Jul 10, 2013 at 03:05 PM
BooBug

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Balto, my first post.

Thank you for the welcome, Bert! I am positive that you'll see more of him, as he is my favorite subject to photograph! ha!

Thank you John, It took me awhile to gather the courage to post here, among all the talent!
I completely agree with your assessment. It's funny because my mistake of posting this so large was actually a blessing in disguise because right away i could see that the focus was off. You are right, I intended it to be on his eyes. I also noticed that the background was too busy for my taste, so i understand what you mean by loosening the frame and stopping down the lens.

I'm loving what the 50mm does!

Balto sends smooches!

Stephanie

Jul 10, 2013 at 04:17 PM
odnanref

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Balto, my first post.

great image! maybe crop some from the back.

Jul 10, 2013 at 04:35 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Balto, my first post.

All images are worthy of C&C! Even if they are really bad, shouldn't they get comments to help them get better?

This one is looking good. I think I'd stop down the lens a bit. It might make the blurred background look a little better, but mainly it will get the nose and eye sharper. That's a usual problem with dog pics (the eye is sharp, but the nose is OOF) that are shot wide open.

Jul 11, 2013 at 02:39 AM
BooBug

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Balto, my first post.

Thank you odnanref! I'm not sure about cropping it but it def needs to be softer. I feel like it's taking away from my baby boy :o) !

Thank you Jim! you are right, of course, about sharing the bad ones! I have enough of those and the critiques will help me see where I've made mistakes. I'm having such a blast learning, that all comments are being considered. with this one I agree with your comment on the focus. When I'm out there shooting i need to remember to play with the settings. i am tending to get stuck on one setting through the whole shoot.

{and stuck on one model! !}

Stephanie

Jul 11, 2013 at 09:36 AM
jackhopkins
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Balto, my first post.

Cropping out the big triangular rock on the right will improve the image by giving your "baby" relatively more room in front of his nose. Generally speaking it's more appealing and makes more sense to have more room in the direction the subject is looking or moving.

Jul 15, 2013 at 09:54 PM
BooBug

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Balto, my first post.

oh yes, Jack, I see what you mean. it does work, better. I agree.
I'll keep the 'front' space in mind when I shoot.
thank you!

Jul 26, 2013 at 09:30 AM
ScottHM
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Balto, my first post.

Look forward to seeing more of your model.even with the, "just washed," look...great dogs. You'll get the hang of getting off the one setting once you feel more comfortable shooting with the camera. You've also gotten some great advice here already. The time of day, and harsh lighting make a bit of a difference as well, but in some cases can't control that as much.

Jul 26, 2013 at 11:03 PM
BooBug

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Balto, my first post.

Thanks for your comments, Scott. lighting is proving to be a challenge to learn, along with remembering to change up my settings.
I took a few this weekend that I'm pretty happy with. I like the setting and the colors and the fact that he's dry, don't get to see him that way very often. !

Jul 30, 2013 at 01:07 AM
ScottHM
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Balto, my first post.

I like the first one of the two the best...would be a little better if he was turned to you more, the clouds and mountains in the background add for a nice touch...he didn't perhaps chew through all the logs did he A lower f-stop to blur out the background some and perhaps an off camera flash would add to it. I think with him to the left of the frame works better because it blocks out the buildings and slopes in the background.

Jul 30, 2013 at 02:03 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Balto, my first post.

great looking dog!

Jul 30, 2013 at 03:21 PM
jackhopkins
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Balto, my first post.

I think #2 works much better, again because there is room in the direction he is looking. I agree that a larger f stop, f5.6 perhaps, would improve this image by throwing the logs and background more out of focus. It is a portrait, after all, and the background should not be emphasized but should be supportive. Brighten him up a little and use a slight vignette and it will start to look like a well finished portrait.

Aug 17, 2013 at 04:04 PM
Genes Home
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Balto, my first post.

I think you got some great comments on your first posting. About all i would add is that when you are working that close in that kind of bright backlight you might want to try adding some fill flash. These days the camera and flash do all the "work" and calculations so all you have to do is turn it on and give it a try. It would even out the lighting a bit.

On the second set I definately like the composition on the second photo. This is definately a place where fill flash would be good, as it would let your boy be fully immuminated while the background could go dark (as in the first of the two).

Please keep posting. It is obvious you have a feel for your big boy, and he is gorgeous. We promise not to eat you online, just provide a few helpful (is contradictory) comments as ideas.

Gene

Aug 17, 2013 at 07:45 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.