Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Advice on the D800 or the D800e.

Seancho

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Advice on the D800 or the D800e.

I got the E refurbished from Adorama for $2800 and they threw in a fast CF card and a 2 year warranty. How could I afford not to buy it? Pair it up with a Sigma 35mm/1.4 and the fine detail that combo can kick out will amaze you. Of course, once you print normal size or output to the web the difference is questionable. But you can chortle with glee when you zoom all the way into a landscape and count the leaves on a tree a half-mile away. Or, crop like a madman and make a print of just the tree. Anyway, it's worth it to me just so I can tell people the E stands for 'Expensive'.

Jul 11, 2013 at 01:16 AM
Tim Ashton
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Advice on the D800 or the D800e.

Derek Weston wrote:
Which applies for every camera and lens combo. Per given resolution, d800 is no more demanding.

The higher the pixel density the greater the requirement for good technique.

When I brought my D7k it very quickly pulled me up because I had allowed my shot discipline to become lax

Tim

Jul 11, 2013 at 01:29 AM
Keith B.
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Advice on the D800 or the D800e.

I have one of each. For my purposes---shooting mostly documentary, handheld, existing-light scenes---there is very little if any advantage to the E.

Jul 11, 2013 at 01:56 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Advice on the D800 or the D800e.

Seancho wrote:
Anyway, it's worth it to me just so I can tell people the E stands for 'Expensive'.

Hardly expensive considering that the predecessor D3x was double this price.

And,
If I were the OP and a serious wildlife shooter I'd go for the truly expensive one. The D4.

Steve Perry's shot of the polar bear convinced me. FPS and other features would be more important than pixel count.

Jul 11, 2013 at 06:42 AM
Gene_C
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Advice on the D800 or the D800e.

Frogfish wrote:
That's not correct Gene. As ample on-line testing has shown. There is a difference, albeit not massive. And just increasing the sharpening slider 'and extra 5 more' will just increase noise so no thank you.

Well, here are some more test results. A good read.

http://falklumo.blogspot.com/2012/05/d800-aa-filter.html

gene

Jul 11, 2013 at 09:42 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Advice on the D800 or the D800e.

geniousc wrote:

gene

Thanks for the link Gene - unfortuantely I can't read it because anything that has 'blog' in the address is banned and inaccessible in China ! Usually my VPN will get around that but at the moment it's also not working so ........
I do know of Falk though, he used to use Pentax at the same time I did and often tested and published his results, I think he is an optical engineer though I'm not certain. He is however very thorough and his testing / results with Pentax lenses/cameras were never less than excellent.

However that said just Google 'D800 vs D800E' and read some of the many reports. Every single one that I tried (8) said the D800 was sharper and comments ranged from 'a tiny bit' to 'noticeably'. In addition, since I had the D800 for a year and now the D800E for a month or so .... I too can see the difference with my own eyes, it's just not a huge difference. I don't think anyone would be less that very happy with either.

These two reports have particularly good reviews of the differences :

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/nikon-d800-vs-d800e-digital-slr-review-19764

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/nikon_d800_d800e_first_comparison.shtml

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Gene_C
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Advice on the D800 or the D800e.

Frogfish wrote:
geniousc wrote:

gene

Thanks for the link Gene - unfortuantely I can't read it because anything that has 'blog' in the address is banned and inaccessible in China ! Usually my VPN will get around that but at the moment it's also not working so ........
I do know of Falk though, he used to use Pentax at the same time I did and often tested and published his results, I think he is an optical engineer though I'm not certain. He is however very thorough and his testing / results with Pentax lenses/cameras
...Show more

Jul 11, 2013 at 02:16 PM
nikon65
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Advice on the D800 or the D800e.

I would like to thank everyone that took the time to give me some very good advice.

Todd

Jul 13, 2013 at 11:29 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.