Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Camera Body Upgrade

muralikreddy

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Camera Body Upgrade

Hi,

I currently use Canon 550D and Canon 400mm f5.6 tele. Primarily into bird photography. I want to upgrade the camera body and due to budgetary constraints (cannot spend more than 1000 USD) looking at buying used equipment. What would be a best upgrade from the below bodies:

1. Canon 7D
2. Canon 1D MarkII
3. Canon 1D MarkIII

Also want to know which body is best in terms of ISO

Thanks & Regards,

Murali

Jul 10, 2013 at 04:43 AM
lucas lumiere
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Camera Body Upgrade

Hi,

Welcome to FM.

The best body in terms of ISO is the 1DIII. Best "reach" is the 7D.

Really though, there are countless threads discussing this.

Jul 10, 2013 at 05:05 AM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #3 · Camera Body Upgrade

You have little to gain. Your camera already has the same sensor as the 7D. 7D autofocusing is better but not necessarily enough improvement to justify an upgrade.

Jul 10, 2013 at 02:34 PM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #4 · Camera Body Upgrade

Of your three choices... the 1D MKIII. AF is rather nice when chasing birds and isn't too shabby in handling the higher ISO settings.

Jul 10, 2013 at 02:38 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #5 · Camera Body Upgrade

Camperjim wrote:
You have little to gain. Your camera already has the same sensor as the 7D. 7D autofocusing is better but not necessarily enough improvement to justify an upgrade.

For the sensor, you are correct. But there are a lot of upgraded features from 550D. Considering the price of the 7D will continue to drop, it's a good upgrade in my opinion.

Jul 10, 2013 at 02:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Camera Body Upgrade

7D

Jul 10, 2013 at 03:09 PM
muralikreddy

p.1 #7 · Camera Body Upgrade

Thank you for the responses.

One more option I was thinking about was - As 70D is released, how about waiting for 3 more months and look at the performance of 70D and go for it, if it is good. As the canon has changed the sensor in this model expecting some good ISO improvement

Jul 11, 2013 at 01:08 PM
David Levinson
• •
p.1 #8 · Camera Body Upgrade

My first response is the 1D3. I just got one after admiring it for five years and it is a great camera for birding. I recently took some shots at 1600 ISO and was pleasantly surprised with the great quality. Next, I'll try 3200 and see how that goes.

I like your comment about waiting to see the real user reviews on the 70D. I'm sort of eying that as a next possibility depending upon the reviews myself. I'd love to use 6400 or 12800 ISO and get good results. Is that a reality right now with the 5D3 and 1DX?

Jul 11, 2013 at 06:41 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Camera Body Upgrade

7D

Canon EOS 7D    200-500mm lens    500mm    f/6.7    1/2000s    1600 ISO    +1.0 EV  

Canon EOS 7D    EF400mm f/5.6L USM lens    400mm    f/10.0    1/2500s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 7D    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens    400mm    f/16.0    1/250s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jul 11, 2013 at 08:17 PM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Camera Body Upgrade

Beautiful shots Tony! I love seeing what birders can do with this camera; there really is nothing like it.

But I do have to mention one thing- even in the down-sampled crops, the noise that has been processed out just stands out so much to me. It kills me to see the same noise that I had to process out of my 60D shots (destroying detail in the 'process') in such great captures, and it makes me wish Nikon had a comparable cropper and lenses to back up.

It's one of those 'what has been seen cannot be unseen' kind of things I guess . I wonder if the older 1D's suffer as much? I'd think that the 1D IV would be better, but what about the 1D III that the OP is considering?

Jul 12, 2013 at 02:18 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password