Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · B-Balm, B-Bird, +1

Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · B-Balm, B-Bird, +1

Scraping around from a few of the shots I fired off before my camera went out for repair.
Shamefully my large growth of Raspberry Bee Balm has erupted but no camera to document and share but here is an early stage one, another f/1.8 shot
Add a lovely Blue Flag iris and a Blue Bird bird

That's it.........just a trio, comments are always encouraged and welcomed

Take care
Karl

© Karl Witt 2013

Bee Balm about to erupt

© Karl Witt 2013

Hidden away Iris

© Karl Witt 2013

The King of the perch Mr Blue Bird

Jul 09, 2013 at 08:55 PM
canon.eos30d
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · B-Balm, B-Bird, +1

Beautiful, Karl. Love the way you capture the flower and the Bluebird is way handsome.

- Tam

Jul 09, 2013 at 09:01 PM
brimull
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · B-Balm, B-Bird, +1

Pretty, colorful images. Impressive tail feathers on the bluebird.

Jul 09, 2013 at 09:12 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · B-Balm, B-Bird, +1

Beautiful Karl !!! Love them all .

Birdie

Jul 09, 2013 at 09:24 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · B-Balm, B-Bird, +1

What is this Bee Balm night Between you and BB I'm feeling inspired to go out and shoot mine! As much as I like the first the second us pure KW. Wow buddy that one rocks and should be put on canvas. You did get a wow out of me when I scrolled to that one. I DO like it that much Feed Mr BB, he is looking a bit gaunt! Cool pose, and the colors rip, really nice shot Karl.

Only 3 but all 3 are spot on.

When your camera woes are ended I can already see your future is bright with that body. You are killing with it already!!!

Tim

Jul 09, 2013 at 09:39 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · B-Balm, B-Bird, +1

Nice job in isolating the single stem of the Roberta Flower Karl. Those are lovely bracts. Good looking iris too. Rich blue. That could also be said of the blue bird. I seldom go for the space/environment around the subject. I still have that strong urge to be able to count nostril hairs. So, when someone presents a good looking shot such as this one, it makes me think the effort in trying may just pay off. I am most amazed that you can pull off an aging tree stump exposure and keep the bird looking good. I always seem to overexpose graying wood.

Jul 09, 2013 at 09:50 PM
dalongfellow
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · B-Balm, B-Bird, +1

Karl: the texture in the bee balm is excellent. A good angle you've chosen to highlight that. Not sure I like the "gray hair" crossing in front of the flower--a bit distracting to me. Lots of pop in the iris--looking very good. Excellent exposure control on the "King."

Dave

Jul 09, 2013 at 10:07 PM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · B-Balm, B-Bird, +1

How could you manufacture that BG behind the BB only for yourself Karl ? These are stunning

Jul 09, 2013 at 11:44 PM
DonGut
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · B-Balm, B-Bird, +1

Love that BB male. Nice perch. Don

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:33 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · B-Balm, B-Bird, +1

very nice Karl.. the last two especially

Jul 10, 2013 at 03:10 AM
tfoltz
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · B-Balm, B-Bird, +1

B-eautiful

-Tim

Jul 10, 2013 at 03:18 AM
thomas_1950
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · B-Balm, B-Bird, +1

Splendid set of images rich in color Karl. Magnificent !!!

Jul 10, 2013 at 05:45 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · B-Balm, B-Bird, +1

Very nice BB - er - Karl. I like 1, but 2 is just plain super. I agree with Tim - it belongs on your wall. The BB is also very nice ~ Ron

Jul 10, 2013 at 06:02 AM
BeeBalm
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · B-Balm, B-Bird, +1

Good morning Karl,

Yippee as I sip my coffee I see the title B-Balm from you

Thanks for sharing a picture! That must of bummed you out seeing the cob web when downloading your pictures and not being able to re-take a new picture.

Can you get your or someone's smart phone to get a current picture to share of them erupted
Everyday I have been deadheading mine now.

My pick is your blue bird, it's beautiful

BeeBalm

P.S. I think Tim Kuhn should share a picture of his Monarda too :-) pretty please

Jul 10, 2013 at 07:45 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · B-Balm, B-Bird, +1

KCollett wrote:
Nice job in isolating the single stem of the Roberta Flower Karl. Those are lovely bracts. Good looking iris too. Rich blue. That could also be said of the blue bird. I seldom go for the space/environment around the subject. I still have that strong urge to be able to count nostril hairs. So, when someone presents a good looking shot such as this one, it makes me think the effort in trying may just pay off. I am most amazed that you can pull off an aging tree stump exposure and keep the bird looking good. I always seem
...Show more

Ken, aging tree stumps are common offerings for much of my shooting of birds around here and they are often the challenge you mention. My tip, just make sure when shooting that you don't get a huge highlight warning blinking in the LCD after the shot, a little is still OK because the LCD image is a converted jpg it is not the actual RAW. Now assuming you have maxed out the exposure so you have decent details on your bird it is the processing that I use to control the stump. They are easy to select with outline tool, wand or whatever, once selected usually I will back down the contrast first then used Curves or simple reduction in exposure to get the look that seems 'balanced' to me. Also I will often avoid any sharpening or only do 50% to the stump to keep it more subdued.

There, now you have my secret, don't tell anyone

Thanks for all the good words buddy..............
Karl

Jul 10, 2013 at 07:55 AM
MS PHOTO
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · B-Balm, B-Bird, +1

Great shots Karl, like the blue bird shot.
Paul

Jul 10, 2013 at 07:56 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · B-Balm, B-Bird, +1

Tim Kuhn wrote:
What is this Bee Balm night Between you and BB I'm feeling inspired to go out and shoot mine! As much as I like the first the second us pure KW. Wow buddy that one rocks and should be put on canvas. You did get a wow out of me when I scrolled to that one. I DO like it that much Feed Mr BB, he is looking a bit gaunt! Cool pose, and the colors rip, really nice shot Karl.

Only 3 but all 3 are spot on.

When your camera woes are ended I can already
...Show more

You know Tim, some day I may just stop and print something of my own, you keep pushing me once in a while to 'hang one'
Mr BB had Mrs BB just below and on the right of this stump feeding the little ones, I think he had been quite busy himself and bit under fed Or maybe just very fit!
I think the files are very good from the 6D but I have such little experience with them so far
Thanks for the uplifting kindness my friend....
Karl

Jul 10, 2013 at 07:59 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · B-Balm, B-Bird, +1

dalongfellow wrote:
Karl: the texture in the bee balm is excellent. A good angle you've chosen to highlight that. Not sure I like the "gray hair" crossing in front of the flower--a bit distracting to me. Lots of pop in the iris--looking very good. Excellent exposure control on the "King."

Dave

Actually the gray hair was a fiber from the flower...................maybe I will try to clone it out carefully for something to do
Thanks buddy and good to hear from you...
Karl

Jul 10, 2013 at 08:00 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · B-Balm, B-Bird, +1

Fantastic, Karl, all of them!

Jul 10, 2013 at 08:08 AM
ChrisKayler
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · B-Balm, B-Bird, +1

Great shot of the Iris. I really like the light ... beautiful!

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:13 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.