Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Playing with new toy...plus 1

Bob Jarman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Playing with new toy...plus 1

Conversion and processing courtesy of Photo Ninja, with LR for vignette and final crop.

You've seen this rose before...

Bob

NIKON D7100    AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G lens    50mm    f/4.0    1/250s    100 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Edited on Jul 10, 2013 at 03:18 PM · View previous versions

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:11 AM
beanpkk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Playing with new toy...plus 1

"The long and winding rose that leads to your door.....I've seen that rose before..."

Sorry -- couldn't help but think of the song. Very nice shot -- amazing texture. What's your new toy?
keith

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Playing with new toy...plus 1

beanpkk wrote:
"The long and winding rose that leads to your door.....I've seen that rose before..."

Sorry -- couldn't help but think of the song. Very nice shot -- amazing texture. What's your new toy?
keith

Thanks Keith,

Photo Ninja RAW Converter with Noise Ninja 3.0 embedded.

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:52 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Playing with new toy...plus 1

At this resolution i seems sharp without becoming noisy or smeared. That's good.

Jul 10, 2013 at 02:04 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Playing with new toy...plus 1

great detail
pleasing toning
vignette works for me
nice work!
Scott

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Playing with new toy...plus 1

Thanks all,

I was struck by what George DeWolfe would call "presence" in sample images posted - birds Scott. You'd think you could reach out and touch them.

I doubt I could get the above result in LR except for a long effort and many diversions into grit and sandy renditions. Maybe it is still the honeymoon?

A learning curve and different workflow, release 1.0.5 so some latent quirks.

Now, to go out and shoot something fresh to see what we can do

Best,

Bob

Posting another sample that has not pushed to the limit on detail...the D7100 is not on their 'supported' list as yet

This particular lens helps a good bit too

NIKON D7100    AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D IF-ED lens    300mm    f/4.0    1/200s    566 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jul 10, 2013 at 03:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Playing with new toy...plus 1

+1 @ presence ... your rose is rendered nicely.

I'm typically not a big fan of new software programs, with them all touting to be "the answer", but knowing a bit of your plight and approach/philosophy toward processing (i.e. I trust your assessment/judgment), you make a nice case for looking into this one.

How's the Noise Ninja aspect of it ... or have you gotten chance to play with it much? Of course, my SLR/C probably isn't on the support list yet (or ever) either, but I would like to find a good noise program that doesn't just smear things around.

Posting another sample that has not pushed to the limit on detail...

Took a stab @ some tweaks with color balance and hue/desat only (i.e. no sharpening/contrast/etc.) ... wondering if it renders any perceivable differences in apparent detail (or spatial relationship) compared to the former. I'm of the opinion that color also impacts our ability detect detail, so your thoughts would be appreciated here.

Of course, with mono, this is removed from the equation. So, before judging the output, I wanted to revise the colors a bit first to see what impact they may have had skewing detail.

Edited on Jul 10, 2013 at 04:42 PM · View previous versions

Jul 10, 2013 at 04:03 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Playing with new toy...plus 1

Bob,

I'm a bit bewildered ... your rose looks to me mono/grayscale. I was looking at it to see what range of tonal values were contained in it. As I was looking at it, I noticed that the RGB values have as much as 15 points of variance which I'm thinking should be enough to reveal color, but it still looks mono?

I've been playing with applying % @ R,G,B channels to render varying tonal values in creating mono's but it is a bit laborious at times. I'm wondering @ the unequal RGB values (e.g. 185,180, 170) still appearing mono. To me, this is part of what is giving such detail/depth @ mono, yet not understanding how/why it isn't rendering warm/yellow with those RGB values If this is a byproduct of the software doing what I've been laboring with, I'll definitely be interested in seeing more of it.

Jul 10, 2013 at 04:42 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Playing with new toy...plus 1

RustyBug wrote:
+1 @ presence ... your rose is rendered nicely.

I'm typically not a big fan of new software programs, with them all touting to be "the answer", but knowing a bit of your plight and approach/philosophy toward processing (i.e. I trust your assessment/judgment), you make a nice case for looking into this one.

How's the Noise Ninja aspect of it ... or have you gotten chance to play with it much? Of course, my SLR/C probably isn't on the support list yet (or ever) either, but I would like to find a good noise program that doesn't just smear things around.

Took a
...Show more

Afraid I can't offer an answer to your question other than I think the original appears just a slight bit sharper and your color balance (which I did not tackle) is more accurate. But then there are so many other variables...

Bob

Jul 10, 2013 at 05:14 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Playing with new toy...plus 1

RustyBug wrote:
Bob,

I'm a bit bewildered ... your rose looks to me mono/grayscale. I was looking at it to see what range of tonal values were contained in it. As I was looking at it, I noticed that the RGB values have as much as 15 points of variance which I'm thinking should be enough to reveal color, but it still looks mono?

I've been playing with applying % @ R,G,B channels to render varying tonal values in creating mono's but it is a bit laborious at times. I'm wondering @ the unequal RGB values (e.g. 185,180, 170) still appearing mono. To me,
...Show more

The tone is the built-in Sepia-1. A screenshot of the settings panel, hue (in percent) and saturation is included. Also a clip of the image in the editor. As have you, I've tried to emulate some tones but have not been able - in fact some articles say emulating platinum and palladium cannot be effectively done in LR. That is there is much more involved with luminosity layers etc. All I can offer is good luck!

Bob

Jul 10, 2013 at 05:20 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Playing with new toy...plus 1

Thanks Bob,

+1 @ many variables re: perception. Thanks for the feedback.

Gotcha @ mono toning. I didn't think to go there. Diggin' the tonal value histogram. Imo, that should be how all histo's read with hue/shade/tint revealed. I wasn't in the market for a RAW converter ... my workflow skips past ACR (set to all zero) straight into PS, but this one might be worth checking into.

Do keep us posted on how it's working for you as you continue to explore it.

Jul 10, 2013 at 05:38 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password