FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · IS Lens jump 300mm f4

Ed Swift
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · IS Lens jump 300mm f4

Hi Everyone,

I'm wanting to pick your collective brains about this issue. I know that it is not uncommon for the IS in lenses to cause the image to jump as it activates. My 18-55 is barely noticeable, if it does it at all, on my girlfriends 55-250 it jumps but not much enough to cause issues. My 300mm F4 however it jumps so much that I'm pretty certain it causes the image to be out of focus, even when I then recompose.

Here is an example, is off on left. is on on right.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb305/Edviscostello/ISJump_zps06713c96.jpg

This is not the most extreme I've had it but illustrates the point.

Obviously this is not on a tripod as that would defeat the point. Also I noticed that the jump was worse when i was in AI Servo but the subject wasn't moving (e.g. a bird i'd expected to take off) so I've been making sure I'm in One Shot or AI Focus.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed

Jul 09, 2013 at 03:30 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · IS Lens jump 300mm f4

I don't own that lens but I recall the first generation EF 75-300 IS USM from 1995 used to drift, twitch 'n jump terribly, almost to the point of making me seasick! The images were fine but sheesh. I haven't seen that behavior since the 1990s but I seem to recall the 300 4L IS being a 1990s design.

Jul 09, 2013 at 04:18 PM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · IS Lens jump 300mm f4

Yeah it is an old design. Its almost to the point of being useless I think.

Jul 09, 2013 at 04:20 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · IS Lens jump 300mm f4

Hi Ed,

In normal circumstances, the 300/4L IS does jump a bit, and it clunks and grinds a bit too, but it doesn't make nearly as large a difference in framing as your example shows. Also, it doesn't cause the image to go OOF. Sounds like it's time for a trip to a Canon service centre.

Peter,

The 300/4L IS will "drift" when on a tripod, as it's first gen IS doesn't recognize when it's in a stable condition, and so it ends up integrating noise in the motion sensors; otherwise, it's pretty solid, when it's working right.

Jim

Jul 09, 2013 at 04:27 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · IS Lens jump 300mm f4

Ed Swift wrote:

Not at all. If it's working properly, it should give you a decent two-stop advantage. IOW, if the slowest shutter speed you can handheld shoot an unstabilized 300/4 lens is about 1/320 sec., then the IS on the 300/4L IS should give you similar handheld results at about 1/80 sec. That's not as good as contemporary IS systems, but it's definitely worth having, when you need it.

Jul 09, 2013 at 04:32 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · IS Lens jump 300mm f4

jcolwell wrote:
Not at all. If it's working properly, it should give you a decent two-stop advantage. IOW, if the slowest shutter speed you can handheld shoot an unstabilized 300/4 lens is about 1/320 sec., then the IS on the 300/4L IS should give you similar handheld results at about 1/80 sec. That's not as good as contemporary IS systems, but it's definitely worth having, when you need it.

5Dc + Canon 300 f/4L IS @ f/11... ISO 100... 1/200... Center Focal Point... Spot Metering... AI Servo... Manual Exposure Mode... Hand Held...

http://jeffersonposter.smugmug.com/Category/WERA-13/i-6WjtDRC/0/X2/%2713%20WERA-64-X2.jpg

IS was on... mode 1... but has very little if any affect in this type shot.
When I pre focus on a spot on the track, after a pan and getting ready for my next target to show... I get that clunking "feel"... (I'm sure it makes niose, don't hear it at a race track...

Just be smooth when shooting with that lens and don't let the "clunks" bother you.

Don't shoot on a tripod with the IS on...

Jul 09, 2013 at 08:38 PM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · IS Lens jump 300mm f4

jcolwell wrote:

Thanks Jim, I can't remember if it's always jumped this badly or if it's only been the past few months.

I'd be pretty upset if it does turn out to have IS issues since it's only about 2 1/4 years old with hardly any use and no mistreatment. Also it's been to Canon once under warranty because when I got it it didn't seem to play nicely with my 1000d so I'd have thought it was all checked out then.

Jul 10, 2013 at 07:37 AM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · IS Lens jump 300mm f4

Jefferson wrote:
IS was on... mode 1... but has very little if any affect in this type shot.
When I pre focus on a spot on the track, after a pan and getting ready for my next target to show... I get that clunking "feel"... (I'm sure it makes niose, don't hear it at a race track...

Just be smooth when shooting with that lens and don't let the "clunks" bother you.

Don't shoot on a tripod with the IS on...

Great shot Jefferson, I've never gotten anything that sharp with this lens, even when it's a stationary subject.

This is probably my best (sorry for the size, flickr isn't giving me an 800px wide option):
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5024/5685295308_5d472f143d_b.jpg

I don't think I've used this lens on a tripod at all. I guess I need to try it on some panning shots and see if I have the same issue then.

Either way a call to Canon uk is on the cards.

Jul 10, 2013 at 07:42 AM
bcguy
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · IS Lens jump 300mm f4

Ed Swift wrote:

You're kidding, right? Useless? The 300mm f/4L IS is a fine lens. It jumps for only an instant and you do not lose sight of your subject.

Jul 10, 2013 at 08:47 AM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · IS Lens jump 300mm f4

bcguy wrote:
You're kidding, right? Useless? The 300mm f/4L IS is a fine lens. It jumps for only an instant and you do not lose sight of your subject.

I'm not kidding, mine jumps and stays jumped as above, or I need to recompose.

I was only referring to the IS being useless as if I switch IS off then it's fine but I may as well have spent the same amount of cash on the 400/5.6 and had the extra reach in that case.

Jul 10, 2013 at 09:22 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · IS Lens jump 300mm f4

You could get it repaired.

Jul 10, 2013 at 09:51 AM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · IS Lens jump 300mm f4

I'm trying to get a quote now.

Still annoying that it breaks so quickly.

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · IS Lens jump 300mm f4

Are you waiting for the IS to settle, or taking the shot while the IS is starting to activate?

If the latter, wait until it settles.

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · IS Lens jump 300mm f4

Imagemaster wrote:
Are you waiting for the IS to settle, or taking the shot while the IS is starting to activate?

If the latter, wait until it settles.

A good point that I couldn't remember the answer to so I went and took a load of test shots. I usually shoot back button focusing so it should have settled before I press the shutter.

With regards to these latest shots, I made sure that I focused and then waited a few more seconds until the IS had settled (although it was still making noises). Out of about 20+ the large majority of shots everything worked fine (ss from 1/80 to 1/320, f4), but I noticed when I put in the settings as in the sample above (iso400, f5, 1/500) I started to get the jumping. Initially I thought that it was something to do with the ISO as in av mode if i went to 200 no problems but that was just because the aperture was opening up. After much more playing about it seems as though if I shoot wide open then everything is fine, if I stop down then jumping starts.

This only happens with my 40d though as on my 1000d it works as it should.

Just out of interest I did this series at iso3200 1/25 no sharpening even in camera L to R:
f4 IS On
f5 IS On
f5 IS Off

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb305/Edviscostello/ISJump2_zps9ed4b44e.jpg
Click Here for large

As you can see the IS is great at f4 but at f5 is a hindrance.

Jul 10, 2013 at 02:31 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · IS Lens jump 300mm f4

Do you have your Focus Limit... 1.5m or 3m... switch set for the correct distance?

Jul 10, 2013 at 04:09 PM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · IS Lens jump 300mm f4

I've made that mistake in the past, but it just won't lock focus. This locks then jumps when the shot is taken.

In all these test cases today they were over 3m away but I did switch from 3m to 1.5m for the closer bottles I posted.

Edited on Jul 10, 2013 at 04:16 PM · View previous versions

Jul 10, 2013 at 04:13 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · IS Lens jump 300mm f4

Ed Swift wrote:
...This only happens with my 40d though as on my 1000d it works as it should.

This suggests that the lens is not at fault. I used the 40D + 300/4L IS combination for a few years, with no problems - at least, not like this.

Ed Swift wrote:
...As you can see the IS is great at f4 but at f5 is a hindrance.

This is weird. Very weird.

Jul 10, 2013 at 04:16 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · IS Lens jump 300mm f4

Have you tried manual focus mode with IS on?... and then off?

Jul 10, 2013 at 04:21 PM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · IS Lens jump 300mm f4

jcolwell wrote:
This suggests that the lens is not at fault. I used the 40D + 300/4L IS combination for a few years, with no problems - at least, not like this.

I agree. I only tested it on the 1000d out of completeness today as that camera has pretty much been gathering dust for the last year since I got the 40d.
jcolwell wrote

This is weird. Very weird.

Glad it's not just me. I'll have to stick to shooting wide open if I also require IS which isn't too much of a hardship in the short term.

regarding getting it fixed, canon could only give me an hourly rate for labour, not parts so I'm kind of glad it seems to be an issue with the camera and/or combination as I can get that looked at by a local shop without sending it anywhere.

Jul 10, 2013 at 04:21 PM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · IS Lens jump 300mm f4

Jefferson wrote:
Have you tried manual focus mode with IS on?... and then off?

Not yet. To be honest, I avoid MF as much as possible as I find it very difficult. I guess for this issue though critical focus isn't required to test jump.

Thanks for all your suggestions on this guys it's been annoying for a while and at least I'm hopefully getting to the bottom of it now.

Edited on Jul 10, 2013 at 04:24 PM · View previous versions

Jul 10, 2013 at 04:23 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.