New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Which external hard drive

Michael White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Which external hard drive

My advice would be to buy two of the WD dual drives and have the second drive mirror the first and use the mirro raid format that way you have four copies on two drives so if one drive does fail you have a recovery plan. I use WD for years and only had one fail me and it was replaced in a week free.

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:34 AM
carnac
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Which external hard drive

I use WD caviar black drives (enterprise class). Check out drives with a 5 year warranty vs. 3 year. They are higher end, fail less often, and are not all that much more money.

I have been happy with drives and enclosures from OWC. My latest is one of their clear external drive housings that I put a 60gb SSD drive into (moved from a SSD 60gb to SSD 250gb for boot and applications). SSD drives are fantastic (except for the price and limited size).

The single biggest improvement to my Mac Pro Desktop was going to a SSD for boot and applications (I use a couple 2tb WD caviar black drives for data and internal back-up).

Jim

Sep 13, 2013 at 01:12 AM
PeteT
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Which external hard drive

I edit on the road, even at concert venues during the show. With that I decided to go western digital Passports. I don't get the crazy failures I used to get with Seagate.

But frankly if I were to do it again - Id do the drobo portable

Oct 02, 2013 at 07:06 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.