Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              86      
       88       end

Archive 2013 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

uhoh7
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.87 #1 · p.87 #1 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

Tariq Gibran wrote:
That's a definite setup where I would prefer a much larger body! That's seriously ridiculous.

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5540407/oscar210_3.jpg

I have no wish for larger body.

Oct 18, 2013 at 07:42 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.87 #2 · p.87 #2 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

I've read a couple of the threads, not all though. There doesnt seem to be an IBIS as some of us hoped and wished for. I guess it may have been done to keep costs down, as we all expected it to cost a lot more too!

Oct 18, 2013 at 07:51 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.87 #3 · p.87 #3 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

Dudewithoutape wrote:
I've read a couple of the threads, not all though. There doesnt seem to be an IBIS as some of us hoped and wished for. I guess it may have been done to keep costs down, as we all expected it to cost a lot more too!

I think the absence had more to do with the size of the cameras. At this point in time, I do not think that that IBIS could fit into such a small FF camera body. I think that it will be coming in the next bodies to be released that will be larger and probably even more upscale and advanced and more expensive than the A7r. This (these) cameras may be announced as early as some time in January 2014.

Rich

Oct 18, 2013 at 07:54 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.87 #4 · p.87 #4 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

naturephoto1 wrote:
I think the absence had more to do with the size of the cameras. At this point in time, I do not think that that IBIS could fit into such a small FF camera body. I think that it will be coming in the next bodies to be released that will be larger and probably even more upscale and advanced and more expensive than the A7r. This (these) cameras may be announced as early as some time in January 2014.

Rich

Absolutely. Look at the size of the silver IBIS structure around the sensor of the A99. No way you can wedge that thing into the A7/R or RX1.

Oct 18, 2013 at 07:59 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.87 #5 · p.87 #5 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

uhoh7 wrote:
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5073/5854608829_4fc839a14c_b.jpg
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3272/5858594475_14d4633be5_b.jpg
I have no wish for larger body.

That Leica 400mm or 560mm Telyt lens could be re-balanced to make it easier to handle either on a tripod or on the shoulder stock.

You can partially make out what we did to mine that has a bar that we re-balanced the lens and then added a an ProMediaGear plate/rail with an Arca Swiss type dovetail. It can be seen partially in this old photo of my Leica R system to the right and the rear of the image.

Rich

Rich's Old Leica R System Photo

Edited on Oct 18, 2013 at 08:21 PM · View previous versions

Oct 18, 2013 at 08:03 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.87 #6 · p.87 #6 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

I gotta say, Rich, with an R system like that, I can't think of anyone who these new Sony cameras will suit better. You must be excited!!

Oct 18, 2013 at 08:05 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.87 #7 · p.87 #7 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

douglasf13 wrote:
I gotta say, Rich, with an R system like that, I can't think of anyone who these new Sony cameras will suit better. You must be excited!!

Douglas,

Thank you yes I am really excited. The photo was taken before I purchased the 80-200mm f4 Vario Elmar lens and the 280mm f4 Apo Telyt lenses at the end of last year. There is an issue with my 90mm Summicron lens elements that is pitted and we decided not to have Leica do a CLA on when Leica USA checked many of my lenses.

As to the WA R lenses, I expect that I will need to find replacements for the high resolution Sony A7r that may include some M WA lenses. I already have the Minolta CLE MC 40mm f2 Rokkor-M lens which I have been using on the Fujifilm X-E1. It is tiny and quite sharp. I hope it will do well on the A7r.

Rich

Oct 18, 2013 at 08:13 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.87 #8 · p.87 #8 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

I'd imagine every R lens you have will be great on the A7/R. It'll be interesting to see how M wides do on the new camera, but your R wides should be fine.

Oct 18, 2013 at 08:20 PM
dennishh
• • •
p.87 #9 · p.87 #9 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

That would be nice! I just pulled my old Nikon F out of the cabinet and gave it a try, sounds very much like the new Sony. I guess the best way to think about the shutter noise is that it's distinctive.

Oct 18, 2013 at 08:22 PM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.87 #10 · p.87 #10 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

35mm f/2.8 Review:

http://www.photoreview.com.au/reviews/lenses/fx/sony-sonnar-t-fe-35mm-f2.8-za

Oct 18, 2013 at 08:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

_julian_
• •
p.87 #11 · p.87 #11 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

serhan_ wrote:
A7 w/ 55mm af speed test from SAR:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBVNVxVrtCk&feature=player_embedded

The loudness of the shutter (at the end of the video) isn't too bad when compared with the beep of the autofocus lock as reference..

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:10 PM
sflxn
• • •
p.87 #12 · p.87 #12 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

Well, the A7 has electronic first curtain. It probably helps with the loudness of the shutter. It also probably helps with shutter vibration and double images. I'm a little disappointed the A7r doesn't have electronic first curtain.

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:20 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.87 #13 · p.87 #13 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

sflxn wrote:
Well, the A7 has electronic first curtain. It probably helps with the loudness of the shutter. It also probably helps with shutter vibration and double images. I'm a little disappointed the A7r doesn't have electronic first curtain.

When I said the A7r was louder on another forum they laughed---it's the same of course, they said. Ha! To bad I forgot where it was---

but are we sure about this?

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:56 PM
sflxn
• • •
p.87 #14 · p.87 #14 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

uhoh7 wrote:
When I said the A7r was louder on another forum they laughed---it's the same of course, they said. Ha! To bad I forgot where it was---

but are we sure about this?

Someone on SAR or FM posted the Sony link to both cameras' spec pages. A7r does not have electronic first curtain. A7 does.

Oct 19, 2013 at 12:05 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.87 #15 · p.87 #15 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

Here are the links to the sony.jp site - there's a "-" in the spec listing for EFC shutter for the a7r.

http://www.sony.jp/ichigan/products/ILCE-7R/spec.html

Shutter
Electronic front curtain shutter -
Format Focal plane shutter Electronically controlled vertical-run
Shutter speed range 1/8000-30 seconds, valve,: when shooting still images
during video recording: 1/8000-1/4 (1/3 steps), up to AUTO1/60, until Auto Slow Shutter 1/30
Flash sync speed 1/160 seconds

For the A7

http://www.sony.jp/ichigan/products/ILCE-7/spec.html

Shutter
Electronic front curtain shutter ● (on / off)
Format Focal plane shutter Electronically controlled vertical-run
Shutter speed range 1/8000-30 seconds, valve,: when shooting still images
during video recording: 1/8000-1/4 (1/3 steps), up to AUTO1/60, until Auto Slow Shutter 1/30
Flash sync speed 1/250 sec

Oct 19, 2013 at 12:15 AM
HopeIsEternal
• •
p.87 #16 · p.87 #16 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

But I don't want to buy another big Sony FF camera. Why did SONY have to cripple the 7/7r with such abysmal capture speeds? From what I've read about these things, there is no reason why a 2013 24/36mpx sensor and chipset should be restricted to 2/1.5fps. None. This has to be a software limitation or caused by purposely using very low-grade components in the imaging pipeline. I mean, even a SONY P&S can manage capturing, transferring, JPG encoding and writing to storage at up to 10 fps. How can a FF 36mpx camera not be able to handle a much less data rate than a common P&S?

Tariq Gibran wrote:
The "flagship" FF Sony will supposedly be released next year and should have the FPS you are after as well as IBIS. These are simply the compact FF E-mount releases for those wanting the absolute smallest FF available.

Oct 19, 2013 at 01:02 AM
sflxn
• • •
p.87 #17 · p.87 #17 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

HopeIsEternal wrote:
But I don't want to buy another big Sony FF camera. Why did SONY have to cripple the 7/7r with such abysmal capture speeds? From what I've read about these things, there is no reason why a 2013 24/36mpx sensor and chipset should be restricted to 2/1.5fps. None. This has to be a software limitation or caused by purposely using very low-grade components in the imaging pipeline. I mean, even a SONY P&S can manage capturing, transferring, JPG encoding and writing to storage at up to 10 fps. How can a FF 36mpx camera not be able to handle a
...Show more

You must understand this low fps is with continuous AF on. Without C-AF, the fps is much higher. Quite frankly, I did not expect fps to be any faster. Unless on sensor PDAF improves significantly or they use a separate PDAF like pro DSLR, fps will stay low in C-AF.

Oct 19, 2013 at 01:13 AM
Julio Marcos
• •
p.87 #18 · p.87 #18 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

I'm glad to hear that the A7 has electronic front curtain shutter - that plus the faster sync speed and phase detect makes it a better fit for me than the A7r.

Oct 19, 2013 at 01:31 AM
artur5
• •
p.87 #19 · p.87 #19 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

Yes, for me that's a negative point of the A7r. Unless it's an inherent limitation of that 36Mp. sensor, I don't see the reason why Sony has crippled this feature. A shutter with electronic first curtain has several pluses : - Almost no firing delay - No vibrations induced by the first curtain closing and opening - Much less noise ( 3 'slaps' instead of one ).
I see also that the flash syncr, speed for the A7 is, as expected, 1/250" but only 1/160" on the A7r. That means that the shutter of the later is much slower. 1/160" syncr, speed is not what you'd expect from a a 1/8000" shutter. I suspect that it's really a normal 1/4000" shutter and the 1/8000" speed is reached narrowing more the gap between the two curtains.
Anyway, a slower shutter means less noise. I'm curious to hear comparisons between both cameras ( without electronic first curtain enabled in the A7). In all logic the A7 should be louder
Of course, with electronic first curtain enabled the A7 must win because there's only one 'slap' instead oh three.

Oct 19, 2013 at 10:51 AM
sflxn
• • •
p.87 #20 · p.87 #20 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

I'm starting to wonder if preordering the A7r was a mistake. if more reports of color shift from the A7R comes in, I'll switch my order to the non R.

Oct 19, 2013 at 01:27 PM
       88       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

88       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password