Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              84      
       86       87       88       end

Archive 2013 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

michaelwatkins
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.85 #1 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

Apparently some gremlins are in the system. Why so many posts from me? making up for missing time here?

Oct 17, 2013 at 06:09 AM
ebrandon
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.85 #2 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

michaelwatkins wrote:
So... I ordered and almost took delivery of the RX1. Still kinda wished I did take delivery.

Instead I've been shooting my GXR and manual glass rather sporadically, and much more often than not my hands are full of a D800 usually with the Sigma 35/1.4 and sometimes with a Nikkor 85/1.8.

I really like the Siggy, but bet I'd have liked the RX1 more.

As far as form factor, I must admit, I wish i could have D800 performance in a much smaller package but will I be happy with the 35/2.8? Instinctively I suspect I'd be delighted most of the time
...Show more

But did you order and almost take delivery of the RX1? That's what's not clear yet.

Oct 17, 2013 at 08:23 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.85 #3 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

michaelwatkins wrote:
Apparently some gremlins are in the system. Why so many posts from me? making up for missing time here?

Can you please tell your opinion again? I think I missed it on the previous page

Oct 17, 2013 at 08:33 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.85 #4 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

philber wrote:
OTOH, I find the images from the ZA 35 on A7r mouth-wateringly good. Am I the only one?

The lens does look good.
I don't know if it's as good as the 35/2 Sonnar but it makes me wonder even more about what I'll do with my RX1. The discreteness of that camera is a big advantage.

Oct 17, 2013 at 08:46 AM
sculptormic
• • •
p.85 #5 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

philber wrote:
OTOH, I find the images from the ZA 35 on A7r mouth-wateringly good. Am I the only one?

You're not the only one. The images I have seen are really great.
Makes one stop whining that it is one stop to slow. Makes a fantastic starting kit with the A7r.
It will be crowded at the upcoming A7 images thread

Oct 17, 2013 at 09:01 AM
philber
• • • • •
p.85 #6 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

I just put in my order for the lens, to go with the cam. According to my dealer, the camera is smoking hot, almost all in A7r form, and I am the only one having placed a lens order. Most of the others are into Leica.

Oct 17, 2013 at 09:05 AM
Bob YILDIRAN

p.85 #7 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

To have some idea, compare the full-size pictures from the new 58/1.4 Nikon to the 55/1.8 Sonnar. Then you start wondering how the latter would stand against the Apo-Summicron or the 55/1.4 Otus.

Oct 17, 2013 at 10:11 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.85 #8 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

I have definitely heard enough already. Way to loud. Why they've taken such leaps forward in technology, and then stuck an old focal plane shutter i there... is slightly disappointing. Can't please everyone I guess.

But I'll certainly wait for a8/a9 which will hopefully be quieter or silent.

I still think they're a fantastic offering though. Should sell insanely well.

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.85 #9 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

Even better, all players can now take notes from comments and make adjustments accordingly...
...if they are clever enough.

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:19 AM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.85 #10 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

Anyone know which wired remote is compatible with the A7 and A7r?

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

alwang
• • •
p.85 #11 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

The most ground-breaking technological advance for long-time Sony users: the A7(r) finally allows bracketing in 3EV steps.

http://www.stuckincustoms.com/2013/10/16/new-sony-a7r-full-frame-mirrorless-takes-computational-photography-to-a-new-level/

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:50 AM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.85 #12 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

And we thought that Hasselblad was nuts in the past, SAR has now reported that they have a $10,000 clone of the Sony A7 ($1699.99 list) :

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/oh-no-they-did-it-again-haselelblad-launched-the-a7-clone-named-solar-10-000/

Rich

Oct 17, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.85 #13 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

naturephoto1 wrote:
And we thought that Hasselblad was nuts in the past, SAR has now reported that they have a $10,000 clone of the Sony A7 ($1699.99 list) :

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/oh-no-they-did-it-again-haselelblad-launched-the-a7-clone-named-solar-10-000/

Rich

Oh, I really hope it's a fake. Otherwise, I hate seeing Hasselblad die in such a slow and pathetic way.

Oct 17, 2013 at 12:55 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.85 #14 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

Jochenb wrote:
The lens does look good.
I don't know if it's as good as the 35/2 Sonnar but it makes me wonder even more about what I'll do with my RX1. The discreteness of that camera is a big advantage.

You could sell me your RX1 cheap

Oct 17, 2013 at 01:02 PM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.85 #15 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

I was around in PS and wanted to see what the A7 would look like in more silver and came up with this:

Oct 17, 2013 at 01:05 PM
uhoh7
• • •
p.85 #16 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

EOS20 wrote:
I was around in PS and wanted to see what the A7 would look like in more silver and came up with this:

I'd prefer one like that Maybe we can sand off the black.

Oct 17, 2013 at 01:32 PM
grahamb3

p.85 #17 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

alwang wrote:
The most ground-breaking technological advance for long-time Sony users: the A7(r) finally allows bracketing in 3EV steps.

http://www.stuckincustoms.com/2013/10/16/new-sony-a7r-full-frame-mirrorless-takes-computational-photography-to-a-new-level/

I don't know about the NEX side, but alpha mount cameras (both my a850 and a77) have had the 3EV (3 frames), .7EV (5 frames) capability for some time. One still wonders why other options aren't available. Why not user selectable for both EV and frames?

Graham

Oct 17, 2013 at 02:25 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.85 #18 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

The nex has 3 frame bracketing up to 3ev.

Oct 17, 2013 at 02:31 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.85 #19 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

carstenw wrote:
You could sell me your RX1 cheap

Yes I could do that!

But let's not he he.

Oct 17, 2013 at 02:41 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.85 #20 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

ebrandon wrote:
But did you order and almost take delivery of the RX1? That's what's not clear yet.

No, I chickened out when it arrived at my dealer. While I love the 35mm perspective on a full frame camera I just couldn't in the end justify spending as much on a fixed lens camera as I had for three of my Zeiss ZM lenses. They had no problem selling it to the next person in line.

My time away from FM coincided with that event, partly because I liked / loved the look the RX1 lens/sensor was delivering and didn't want to torture myself, and partly because decided to leave alt-land for a while (except for my Sigma 35, altish I guess and shoot a DSLR for a year. I found moving from EVFs back to an optical finder a little disconcerting at first (except for action). The image quality is great. Battery life is great, relative to EVF/mirrorless cameras. The size is / remains my primary complaint.

Like many I've continued to pine for a small 35mm sensor equipped camera albeit with interchangeable lenses and a built in finder, and, ideally, a tilting rear LCD. But once the right sensor is available, size and interchangeable lenses are my primary wants. I enjoy working with the D800 but I don't enjoy the size nor is its size and weight necessary for what I do. The A7r weighs less than my Sigma 35/1.4 alone.

On noise: Wish I had the RX1 last night - was shooting an indoors meeting from the end of a very long, fully occupied, conference table with all eyes focussed up front at slides being projected. The subject matter was serious so when the speaker had paused to let the slides sink in it was often dead silent except for mirror slap and shutter noises. Still my discomfort was probably greater than that of the participants.

The D800 isn't quiet; I have to imagine the A7 / A7r are quiet(er) given there's no mirror slapping away.

I'm going to keep shooting the D800 for now and ponder the A7r... I'm not as keen to make big changes, at least not without a lot of consideration, even though I really long for smaller kit and the prospect of using manual focus alt glass again interests me. That said the D800 really shines with the latest and greatest glass, particularly out to the frame edges, so I want to see how various alt-glass on the A7r pans out in real life before getting too excited on that front.

That all said we are planning a trip to Europe next summer and I know I don't want to lug the D800 around everywhere so ...

Oct 17, 2013 at 03:22 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password