FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6              87       88       end

Archive 2013 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

alundeb
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

Here is a quick illustration of the compactness we can expect with a legacy normal prime lens on a NEX-7 sized body between a DSLR and a native prime on a small APS-C NEX.

Personally, I value the compactness compared to the DSLR.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn242/Overflate/SizeCompNEXFF_06_zps0566f8a4.jpg

Jul 09, 2013 at 01:17 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

I think there is a chasm between what Sony have been doing up to now with NEX, which is, broadly speaking, a mass-market system, and expectations that RF wides will work well on the FF camera, which would matter only to an absolutely tiny market segment. True, it is a segment many of us populate, but it is still tiny. To get an idea of this, I have owned a NEX 3 years now, and taken it many times around the world. Because of this, I am sensitive to other people shooting NEX. I don't remember a single one that was mounted with an alt. Not one. OK, I may have missed a few, and forgotten a couple, but still, outside of the many hundreds I have seen with kit zooms, I don't remember one with alt. That says something about the size of the segment we are talking about, doesn't it?

Jul 09, 2013 at 01:20 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

philber wrote:
I think there is a chasm between what Sony have been doing up to now with NEX, which is, broadly speaking, a mass-market system, and expectations that RF wides will work well on the FF camera, which would matter only to an absolutely tiny market segment. True, it is a segment many of us populate, but it is still tiny. To get an idea of this, I have owned a NEX 3 years now, and taken it many times around the world. Because of this, I am sensitive to other people shooting NEX. I don't remember a single one that
...Show more

Right, but a FF Nex 9 is in a completely different category and I would expect the buyers to be really advanced photographers with different expectations.

Jul 09, 2013 at 01:23 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

If you are right, which I think not but hope you are, that would mean Sony giving up on any kind of large volume expectations. As they did when they specced/priced the RX-1.

Jul 09, 2013 at 01:25 PM
Paul Yi
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

If, somehow, they can come up with the price of 2k ~2.5K, it's going to be a huge seller....

Then, I wouldn't mind getting this over 5D Mk III ....

Jul 09, 2013 at 01:28 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

alundeb wrote:
Here is a quick illustration of the compactness we can expect with a legacy normal prime lens on a NEX-7 sized body between a DSLR and a native prime on a small APS-C NEX.

Personally, I value the compactness compared to the DSLR.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn242/Overflate/SizeCompNEXFF_06_zps0566f8a4.jpg

Yeah, it still is a size advantage, although imagine if Sony makes a native 50/1.4 lens as large as that Zeiss with adapter. Actually, it would be larger, since it would need to accommodate AF and aperture motors. From a marketing perspective, we're going to get even more of the "huge lens" complaints that we get from some current NEX lenses, despite the overall size still being less than an equivalent DSLR.

FWIW, the Canon 6D is even smaller than the 5D that you pictured, so that bridges the gap even more. If one of the camera companies focuses on making a super small, FF DSLR, it will be interesting to see if people would want to use an EVF over an OVF.

Edited on Jul 09, 2013 at 01:33 PM · View previous versions

Jul 09, 2013 at 01:28 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

philber wrote:
If you are right, which I think not but hope you are, that would mean Sony giving up on any kind of large volume expectations. As they did when they specced/priced the RX-1.

Of course we will have to wait, but, depending upon the success of the new camera, there may well be additional FF cameras available at the same time in the NEX line to come. The question will be would if there are multiple FF NEX cameras available at the same time would they be simpler or more advanced than the first camera.

Rich

Jul 09, 2013 at 01:31 PM
morpheus2891
• • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

true... you have to realize that even for people who could be tempted by a NEX with nice glass, only a small portion wouldn't scoff at the idea of fully manual Leica glass that cost an arm+leg+other parts ... true we have a lot of people here that see the beauty in that glass but even if we all buy an FF NEX, we alone wouldn't make it a success. On a side note if they plan to market this as a more serious camera that perhaps even professionals would consider, how many (pros) would buy such a camera for use with manual lenses vs with a set of AF, top-notch primes (and a zoom or two) which perform at the drop of a hat and in tough conditions? That said, probably not a lot of hope for M wides but if Zeiss makes available top notch options from the get go, is that really such a loss (except for the few leicaphiles who have the new M as an option).

Jul 09, 2013 at 01:33 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

I personally would be willing to let go of my ZM lenses if the Zeiss options for this camera offer a similar performance with the added bonus of AF.

Jul 09, 2013 at 01:43 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

edwardkaraa wrote:
Right, but a FF Nex 9 is in a completely different category and I would expect the buyers to be really advanced photographers with different expectations.

There were a LOT of 5D shooters back when it first came out that LOVED the 24-105L, and there still are. It is a kit zoom.

Even a $3500 NEX-9 will get bought by some people who don't care.

Jul 09, 2013 at 01:46 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

edwardkaraa wrote:
Wfrank, what Douglas said

Thanks Edward/Douglas and damn. This as Sony have embraced the for-the-camera-industry-newly-found-habit of skipping the more-useful-than-many-seem-to-believe AA-thingy

Jul 09, 2013 at 01:52 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

ISO1600 wrote:
There were a LOT of 5D shooters back when it first came out that LOVED the 24-105L, and there still are. It is a kit zoom.

Even a $3500 NEX-9 will get bought by some people who don't care.

Sure, but let's keep things in perspective. In my immediate family there are 4 Nex cameras all used with the kit zoom. There are no FF cameras, except mine, naturally. The ratio of serious vs don't care should be much different with a Nex 9 than with a Nex 3 for instance.

Jul 09, 2013 at 01:54 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

It costs far less to make a mirrorless camera than a normal phase detect DSLR because less precision and less testing is required. I wouldn't expect this camera to be more expensive than a D600.

Jul 09, 2013 at 02:02 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

edwardkaraa wrote:
Same here

i would like to take full credit for this rumor. i knew that sony would wait till just after i bought an rx-1 to announce a FF mirrorless.

Jul 09, 2013 at 02:05 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

FlyPenFly wrote:
It costs far less to make a mirrorless camera than a normal phase detect DSLR because less precision and less testing is required. I wouldn't expect this camera to be more expensive than a D600.

Miniaturization is expensive, though, and this is likely going to be a relatively low volume product with a high build quality. Either way, it doesn't seem like it should cost more than the RX1, but the rumors are saying otherwise.

Massimo Foti
• • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

TMaG82 wrote:
The expectations are going to be tilt screen, gorgeous EVF, IBIS, GPS, wifi, great battery life, no issues with WA lens, no distortion, no magenta cast, no CA, 1.8 aperture primes, fast 2.8 zooms all in a tiny package. When it misses one of those we'll be screaming that the system's not mature.

So true...
I would add that the 1.8 aperture primes (3-4 of them) and fast 2.8 zooms (UWA, 24-70 and 70-200) should be available within 6 months of the camera release

naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

FlyPenFly wrote:

There will be much more R & D involved with the FF NEX camera than for the D600. So, I expect that the new NEX camera to be closer to $3000 or more. I believe this is what Sony originally indicated when they first isuggested that a FF NEX may be in the future.

Rich

Jul 09, 2013 at 02:07 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

philber wrote:
I think there is a chasm between what Sony have been doing up to now with NEX, which is, broadly speaking, a mass-market system, and expectations that RF wides will work well on the FF camera, which would matter only to an absolutely tiny market segment. True, it is a segment many of us populate, but it is still tiny. To get an idea of this, I have owned a NEX 3 years now, and taken it many times around the world. Because of this, I am sensitive to other people shooting NEX. I don't remember a single one that
...Show more

i've seen two in my life. for perspective, i've seen a lot more tourists with m9 + leica lenses than i've seen NEXs with manual focus lenses. i've even seen more film slrs and rangefinders in use than i have digital cameras (of any type) + manual focus lenses (of any type including ZE and CV).

Jul 09, 2013 at 02:08 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

philber wrote:

I think that will definitely be the case. This will be an expensive, low volume halo product for Sony. That's pretty much been said previously at Sonyalpharumors. Expect a very expensive body - $3300+ and expensive Zeiss lenses - $1400+.

Jul 09, 2013 at 02:15 PM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Our prayers have been answered: Nex-FF in 2 months

If the rumored GXR is a FF-M, it's going to be

GXR-M vs NEX-5N, round 2.

Jul 09, 2013 at 02:17 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.