Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Hawaiian Florals

KCollett
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Hawaiian Florals

Hello Fellow FMers!

A few floral images from my recent trip to Hawaii. Being from a decidedly non-tropical part of the world, the flora of Hawaii amazed me. It is also amazing (and sad) that about 3/4 of the species growing there were introduced (same goes for the birds and other critters). To me, most of the plants looked new and cool. They may well have been noxious, roadside weeds.

1. Autograph Tree Flower - This tree has large, stiff, heavy leaves. The name is derived from the fact people would scratch messages into the upper surface. The lighter layers from underneath would show through, making the writing easy to see. No automatic message encryption available though.

2. Autograph Tree Fruit - Closed. These were about the size of a small grapefruit, and fairly dense.

3. Autograph Tree Fruit - Opened and Closed. The fruit opens into a star shape. After a length of time, the fruit turns brown and falls off the tree.

4. Dragon Fruit Flowers - Didn't see any fruit though. This is widely cultivated plant, and the fruit is sold commercially. The flowers are quite large and impressive, but not as impressive as the plants. This species of cactus seems to grow and grow and grow. I saw some that had taken over trees and fences.

5. Be Still Plant - Highly toxic. Eat it, and you will soon be still. Hence the name. A member of the Oleander family, for those who care about such things.

6. Angel's Trumpet - Another poisonous one. Eat it, and you'll likely be hearing an Angel's Trumpet. A member of the Solonaceae family. Should be called the Alkaloid family since they all seem to have various alkaloids in them (potatoes and tomatoes included). Many plants in this family are toxic or mind altering.

7. Plumbago - A pretty little flower.

8. Plumeria (aka Frangipani) - The flowers of this species are used for making leis. In modern Polynesian culture, it may be worn by women to indicate their relationship status - over the right ear if seeking a relationship, and over the left if taken. My wife wore one over her right ear inadvertently one night, and was directed to the local singles bars. I'm positive it was accidental.

That should do it for now. You don't want you to OD on these sweet beauties.

All nits, crits, and wits are welcome.

Ken

Jul 09, 2013 at 03:44 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Hawaiian Florals

These are beautiful. I feel like I am in a tropical paradise Gorgeous.

Birdie

Jul 09, 2013 at 04:20 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Hawaiian Florals

Nice set of interesting flowers Ken! That autograph tree is something to behold....

Greg

Jul 09, 2013 at 04:48 AM
tfoltz
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Hawaiian Florals

Great shots Ken. BTW if you have a chance try Dragon Fruit it's very unique, I like it

-Tim

Jul 09, 2013 at 06:35 AM
thomas_1950
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Hawaiian Florals

Splendid set of super cool flowers Ken !!

Jul 09, 2013 at 08:43 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Hawaiian Florals

A very nice set Ken. They are all well done. I think you should go back and take some more shots though... ~ Ron

Jul 09, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Hawaiian Florals

What do you mean Ken, Edmonton isn't tropical

I hope you had a great time visiting the tropics and saved up all the BTUs you could!! What a wonderful peak into a world that most of us don't see, I for one have never been. I really enjoyed this set, very well documented and photographed. In the public gardens here there are a few Angel's Trumpets (6) on display, they take them inside in the winter but in our summers they do okay

Tim

Jul 09, 2013 at 01:11 PM
BeeBalm
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Hawaiian Florals

Ken,
Gorgeous!!

Number 7 you captured beautifully ..
They look like my summer phlox and they are hard to get every single little flower looking perfect and also difficult to get a nice sharp picture! You nailed it!!

How tall is an individual angel trumpet flower? They look many feet tall! A hummer would seem to get
lost in one?

Understand they can be poisonous.

I planted trumpet vines and after realizing the green vine causes skin rashes to some - me one of them.
I had to get rid of mine but its so invasive and keeps popping up even in areas far
from where it was planted.

You captured all your flowers so beautifully!!
Do you have any more? Would love to see them!

Love the lei flowers too! I loved wearing the lei necklaces!

BeeBalm

Jul 09, 2013 at 01:44 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Hawaiian Florals

A magnificent set, Ken.
Regardless of how they got there, they are exotic to me, also.
And your presentation of them is super!
Charlie

Jul 09, 2013 at 07:34 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Hawaiian Florals

sweet stuff Ken.. all are very nice

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Hawaiian Florals

birdied wrote:
These are beautiful. I feel like I am in a tropical paradise Gorgeous.

Birdie

Thank you kindly Birdied.

Jul 10, 2013 at 01:45 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Hawaiian Florals

gregfountain wrote:
Nice set of interesting flowers Ken! That autograph tree is something to behold....

Greg

Glad you could stop in Greg. Merci for the favorable comments.

Jul 10, 2013 at 01:46 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Hawaiian Florals

tfoltz wrote:
Great shots Ken. BTW if you have a chance try Dragon Fruit it's very unique, I like it

-Tim

I appreciate you taking the time to comment Tim. Thank you. I have tried dragon fruit, but found it a touch bland. Could be you need to get it closer to the source. Like a lot of fruits and veggies, I'm sure ripening in situ is much better for flavor than during a 4000 km truck ride.

Jul 10, 2013 at 01:49 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Hawaiian Florals

thomas_1950 wrote:
Splendid set of super cool flowers Ken !!

Many thanks Thomas. Glad you found some beauty in them.

Jul 10, 2013 at 01:50 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Hawaiian Florals

surfnron wrote:
A very nice set Ken. They are all well done. I think you should go back and take some more shots though... ~ Ron

Shh. My wife might hear you! Thanks for the kind comments Ron. I really would like to head back there before I get too old for hiking etc. Lots to see on the Big Island still, plus the other ones too.

Jul 10, 2013 at 01:51 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Hawaiian Florals

One of your finest flora sets as I see them Ken!

Gosh you did these proud and I am appreciating the uniqueness and variety of them.
#1 looks like egg plant
#2 & #3 absolutely cool to see that seed/fruit open up like that! Wow that is trick!
#4 nice exposure and a neat specimen
#5 I would guess rule of thumb when in Hawaii is don't eat the flowers Or deadly beauties which brings up another story............that we won't go into
#6 simply gorgeous flower
#7 Excellent sir!
#8 a favorite flower for sure, these are really elegant

so while your wife was off to the singles bar you........................Behaved?

Super set Ken
Karl

Jul 10, 2013 at 02:04 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · Hawaiian Florals

Tim Kuhn wrote:
What do you mean Ken, Edmonton isn't tropical

I hope you had a great time visiting the tropics and saved up all the BTUs you could!! What a wonderful peak into a world that most of us don't see, I for one have never been. I really enjoyed this set, very well documented and photographed. In the public gardens here there are a few Angel's Trumpets (6) on display, they take them inside in the winter but in our summers they do okay

Tim

Thank you for taking the time to view and comment Tim. If you get a chance, make the journey. It's a short hop from Seattle.

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:49 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Hawaiian Florals

BeeBalm wrote:
Ken,
Gorgeous!!

Number 7 you captured beautifully ..
They look like my summer phlox and they are hard to get every single little flower looking perfect and also difficult to get a nice sharp picture! You nailed it!!

How tall is an individual angel trumpet flower? They look many feet tall! A hummer would seem to get
lost in one?

Understand they can be poisonous.

I planted trumpet vines and after realizing the green vine causes skin rashes to some - me one of them.
I had to get rid of mine but its so invasive and keeps popping up even in areas far
from where
...Show more

Thank you BB!! Those trumpets are about 14 - 18 inches long. Big as flowers go. They do appear to be easily propagated from seed or root bits. Glad you liked the set. There will be more to come. Mahalo.

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · Hawaiian Florals

Beautiful and interesting flowers, Ken. All well captured and presented.
Enjoyed your commentary as well
Socrate

Jul 10, 2013 at 03:54 PM
Ed Robertson
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · Hawaiian Florals

Very nice indeed. Ed

Jul 10, 2013 at 05:20 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end