Upload & Sell: Off
Hello Fellow FMers!
A few floral images from my recent trip to Hawaii. Being from a decidedly non-tropical part of the world, the flora of Hawaii amazed me. It is also amazing (and sad) that about 3/4 of the species growing there were introduced (same goes for the birds and other critters). To me, most of the plants looked new and cool. They may well have been noxious, roadside weeds.
1. Autograph Tree Flower - This tree has large, stiff, heavy leaves. The name is derived from the fact people would scratch messages into the upper surface. The lighter layers from underneath would show through, making the writing easy to see. No automatic message encryption available though.
2. Autograph Tree Fruit - Closed. These were about the size of a small grapefruit, and fairly dense.
3. Autograph Tree Fruit - Opened and Closed. The fruit opens into a star shape. After a length of time, the fruit turns brown and falls off the tree.
4. Dragon Fruit Flowers - Didn't see any fruit though. This is widely cultivated plant, and the fruit is sold commercially. The flowers are quite large and impressive, but not as impressive as the plants. This species of cactus seems to grow and grow and grow. I saw some that had taken over trees and fences.
5. Be Still Plant - Highly toxic. Eat it, and you will soon be still. Hence the name. A member of the Oleander family, for those who care about such things.
6. Angel's Trumpet - Another poisonous one. Eat it, and you'll likely be hearing an Angel's Trumpet. A member of the Solonaceae family. Should be called the Alkaloid family since they all seem to have various alkaloids in them (potatoes and tomatoes included). Many plants in this family are toxic or mind altering.
7. Plumbago - A pretty little flower.
8. Plumeria (aka Frangipani) - The flowers of this species are used for making leis. In modern Polynesian culture, it may be worn by women to indicate their relationship status - over the right ear if seeking a relationship, and over the left if taken. My wife wore one over her right ear inadvertently one night, and was directed to the local singles bars. I'm positive it was accidental.
That should do it for now. You don't want you to OD on these sweet beauties.
All nits, crits, and wits are welcome.