Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · jpeg vs raw - I see a big difference

cramercl
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · jpeg vs raw - I see a big difference

So my laptop dedicated to my photography and photoshop recently died. I'm getting by with another laptop that does not have photoshop or any means of working with RAW files. Therefore, I've been shooting strictly JPEG for about a month.

I realize there are other programs I could download to work with RAW files, but for convenience, I just thought it would be easier to shoot JPEG.

Well, I downloaded them tonight and I have to say, I am completely underwhelmed.

I just wanted to know what you think. Am I not as good as photographer as I thought? Or are JPEGs really not as rich as shooting RAW and then converting them?

I usually only bump up the contrast on my RAW files....and only adjust exposure or white balance if I really feel I need to.

Maybe I can adjust my Canon 5D to produce a better JPEG photo SOOC? I've been shooting mainly with my 5D classic and the Sigma 35 1.4. Some shots are with the 70-200....

And this is not the first time I've noticed such a big difference. I've shot weddings before with RAW + JPEG and have always sided with the RAW and editing.

I just ask because I know some pro photogs that shoot JPEG and wonder if there is something I am missing.

I apologize if this topic has been covered before....I just don't have the energy to search right now.

Jul 09, 2013 at 02:04 AM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #2 · jpeg vs raw - I see a big difference

I would just shoot in manual exposue mode... and adjust using the histogram as a guide... IMHO

Jefferson

I might add that I don't shoot jpg, only RAW... I'm in no hurry to get to an editor... but I would set my camera to "Faithful"... for best reproduction... just my input...

Jul 09, 2013 at 02:12 AM
cramercl
• •
p.1 #3 · jpeg vs raw - I see a big difference

Thanks Jefferson! I always shoot Manual. I will pay more attention to the histogram and see if that helps.

I'm hating the JPEG shooting...hopefully I resolve my laptop issue soon. Or maybe I'll just splurge on a new one.

Either way, this is a learning experience for sure. And if losing my laptop means I become a better photographer, then bring it on!

Jul 09, 2013 at 02:33 AM
BenV
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · jpeg vs raw - I see a big difference

It really comes down to do you want the camera to process the photos on how it thinks they should look, or do you want the control over how the photo looks. Some people are happy with jpeg, I personally always use RAW unless I'm at a big event shooting thousands of photos.

Jul 09, 2013 at 01:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #5 · jpeg vs raw - I see a big difference

Keep in mind that shooting JPG means you've got settings in the camera that are affecting the look of the photos. So if you have very neutral camera settings, they might actually look worse than whatever default import settings you have in the RAW converter.

In terms of editing, there's just no contest, IMO. If the JPG isn't 95% good straight out of the camera, the RAW file is just going to provide a ton more latitude for color and adjustments.

Jul 09, 2013 at 02:06 PM
Squirrely Eyed
• •
p.1 #6 · jpeg vs raw - I see a big difference

Not that I would call myself a good photographer, but I can get just as good results with JPG as with RAW SOOC. Mind the key words, "can get just as good."

RAW gives you the flexibility to worry less about some aspects while shooting and work on them afterward. Want a different WB, different sharpening, more/less saturation? With JPG you need to choose those for each shot while shooting, versus working with them in processing.

On my S95 I rarely go to the RAW, I like the JPG well enough. But my 7D rarely gets the WB correct on auto and at a minimum I must go fix that on most of my shots.

Jul 09, 2013 at 03:25 PM
cramercl
• •
p.1 #7 · jpeg vs raw - I see a big difference

Thanks everyone for your input! I definitely want control over how the photos look. RAW photos look exactly how I want them...the jpegs do not. So I will review my camera settings and adjust accordingly. If I could get my jpegs to look as good as my RAW files do, I would shoot jpeg all the time!
Again, thanks for chiming in and helping figure this out!

Jul 10, 2013 at 03:09 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password