Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Japan----30+ years ago

Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Japan----30+ years ago

One of my early trips to eastern Asia.
Downtown Tokyo- delivering ice to one of the local businesses.
Even back then, I was surprised to see this because Japan had long been a "modern" nation in most ways.
Although the man rode up on a sort of bicycle rickshaw and was sawing ice to deliver- notice how well he's dressed.
This little vignette was the kind of thing that added so much appeal to me as I traveled abroad. And they were often found as I walked from one "important" place to another important place .

Charlie Shugart 2013

Long Ago in Tokyo

Jul 09, 2013 at 01:51 AM
douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Japan----30+ years ago

A bag full of ice like that had to be heavy! This was just 30 years ago? The last time I saw block ice like this was when I would go with dad to Hemmert's Ice House to get ice chunk and then they would chip it for the purpose of our making homemade ice cream, what a treat and fond memory, Thanks Charlie!
Douglas

Jul 09, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Japan----30+ years ago

Glad you like this, Douglas.
Nowadays so many things happen so fast that we often forget what it was like a short time ago.
!5 years ago film ruled and digital photography was a bad joke.
35 years ago I was in Japan when the average Japanese citizen was buying his first car and driving for the first time.
But this was Japan and not China- for those who haven't spent time in both countries, that was a BIG difference.
The Japanese were especially careful, polite and considerate of other drivers. No horns ever honked. Instead, drivers would look at each other and gesture "After you, please).
I was staying with a Japanese professor for a couple of weeks- and saw this scenario repeated often. He was about 40 and driving his first car. It was very amusing to watch.
Charlie

Jul 09, 2013 at 08:16 PM
deinfaces
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Japan----30+ years ago

In China, tens of thousands of cars share the road with old ladies on bikes transporting chickens. In 1999, we flew into Shanghai. I think that there was some British influence historically, so I wasn't sure which side of the road they drove on. After 10 minutes in a taxi, I still didn't know.

Jul 09, 2013 at 08:46 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password