FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

Archive 2013 · Bathing in Gold

gregfountain
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Bathing in Gold

Sweet shot Jim! Can't wait to see what you have offered up at the OC Fair!

Jul 11, 2013 at 03:43 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Bathing in Gold

Phrasikleia wrote:
Nice! I like the turbulence you got out of the fast shutter speed, and that misty ray of syrupy light is divine. I kind of want to nudge the scene to the left so that the sun itself isn't quite so marginalized, but maybe there was something on that side that you were trying to keep out of the frame. I do get the sense of global adjustments in ACR and could recommend some subtle localized blending (using iterations of the single raw), but that's really a matter of personal taste. I get the sense that you're a guy who
...Show more

Hi Phrasikleia,

Thanks so much! I am glad you liked the shot, and I appreciate the suggestions and thoughts. If you read the blog, I think I mention about there being a cabin to the left, so there was a limit as to how far I could swing to the left. But my thought process as I was moving to keep the sun along the ridgeline so that I could get the sunstar was that I wanted to balance the flow of the water at the bottom with sun also. So for the composition, that's the main reason the angle it is at is in place because there was a definite flow to the water, and I wanted it to properly balance along the bottom of the frame.

Jim

Jul 11, 2013 at 04:01 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Bathing in Gold

gregfountain wrote:
Sweet shot Jim! Can't wait to see what you have offered up at the OC Fair!

Thanks Greg! I am glad you liked the shot, and as to the OC Fair, we should pick a time where you, I and Tuan are there and we can have a little FM party as between the 3 of us, one of us atleast ought to win something...

Jim

Jul 11, 2013 at 04:02 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Bathing in Gold

JimFox wrote:
Thanks Greg! I am glad you liked the shot, and as to the OC Fair, we should pick a time where you, I and Tuan are there and we can have a little FM party as between the 3 of us, one of us atleast ought to win something...

Jim

Sounds good Jim. I know my wife and I are planning to go Tuesday, July 16, when they open in the morning, but I'd be happy to meet up with you and Tuan anytime I am not working!

Greg

Jul 11, 2013 at 07:20 PM
Jon Buffington
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Bathing in Gold

Wow! Fantastic image, beautiful light! I appreciate the faster shutter speed on the water. I myself shy away from that however you have inspired me to reconsider situations in the future.

Jul 11, 2013 at 07:30 PM
John S. Hudson
• •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Bathing in Gold

Jim, gorgeous image. I find the fact that it's from 1 exposure remarkable. When you say no blending, did you still have to massage it a little bit to get to this level? I mean, did you have to suppress the highlights and bring out the low lights? If not, then the DR of this D800 must be mind blowing for sure.

Jul 11, 2013 at 08:14 PM
ScaryFox
• • • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Bathing in Gold

My first thought was: great to see choppy water! I normally like the smoother water but here it really adds to the image.
Fantastic light!!

Ute

Jul 12, 2013 at 08:02 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Bathing in Gold

John S. Hudson wrote:
Jim, gorgeous image. I find the fact that it's from 1 exposure remarkable. When you say no blending, did you still have to massage it a little bit to get to this level? I mean, did you have to suppress the highlights and bring out the low lights? If not, then the DR of this D800 must be mind blowing for sure.

Hey John,

Thanks so much, I am glad you liked it! As to the processing, there is always massaging...

In ACR with most of these shots I will slide the Highlights to -100, the Shadows to 100. I will adjust the exposure level, often brightening it some more. Often adjusting the White slider from somewhere between -50 and -100 is used, until the highlights come back in. Then it's sliding the contrast to about 30 or so, and Clarity to about 30 or 40. Those are general settings, of course each shot is different, and it's based on exposing for the shot properly in the first place. And on top of that, shooting with the great IQ of the D800 helps so much as it has the latitude and the great DR in the first place. I will still use layer masks on shots for isolated contrast adjustments, again each shot is different. But I will say shooting with the D800 has reduced my use of layer masks by about 50%.

Hope that helps.

Jim

PS... the D800 is mindblowing.... get one today...

Jul 12, 2013 at 01:01 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Bathing in Gold

gregfountain wrote:
Sounds good Jim. I know my wife and I are planning to go Tuesday, July 16, when they open in the morning, but I'd be happy to meet up with you and Tuan anytime I am not working!

Greg

Hey Greg,

I am thinking Tuan and I will be there on the 25th as if I remember right, that's when they will do the judging, or reveal the judging. I do think I want to go early on though too as to see the whole display of the gallery, and of course to eat as many foods as I can that contain strawberries!

Lets keep in touch,

Jim

Jul 12, 2013 at 01:03 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Bathing in Gold

roboticspro wrote:
Jim,

Looking at the imagery of this shot captures so many (if not all) of the mental "check boxes" that make it a great photo...kudos to you!

Edd

Hi Edd,

I am glad you liked the shot. This was definitely one of those magical moments where even while shooting you have a feeling it's going to be special.

Jim

Jul 12, 2013 at 01:05 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Bathing in Gold

Fantastic capture!

Jul 12, 2013 at 01:29 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Bathing in Gold

sierasong1 wrote:
This is gorgeous Jim, makes me regret staying home and working. :-( Well done!!

Hey Deb,

Thanks so much for that! Yes, you should have been there, it was a week of wonderful light.

Jim

Jul 12, 2013 at 06:54 PM
naturesmoments
• • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Bathing in Gold

Gorgeous light, an absolutely beautiful image!!!

Jul 12, 2013 at 08:57 PM
John Richter
• • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Bathing in Gold

Beautiful photograph, Jim. I like the SS you chose for this. Works really well and lends to reflecting the sun nicely. Great work!

JBR

Jul 12, 2013 at 09:01 PM
bshamilton
• • • • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Bathing in Gold

Excellent! That is indeed an incredible DR!

Barry

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:31 PM
MTguy
• •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Bathing in Gold

Great shot Jim. I just love it. Very well done.

Jul 13, 2013 at 12:49 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Bathing in Gold

Congratulations Jim,

This is a beauty!

Morris

Jul 19, 2013 at 09:18 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Bathing in Gold

Congrats Jim. Terrific image with beautiful lighting.
harsha

Jul 19, 2013 at 09:43 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Bathing in Gold

Congratulations again!!
You have the touch!!

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:09 PM
plsand
• • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Bathing in Gold

Hi -
Just want to add that I think that the water is great - Looks like water - I like Milk in a bottle -
Thanks -
Paul

Jul 21, 2013 at 07:06 AM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.