Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · Bathing in Gold

JimKied
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Bathing in Gold

Simply beautiful!

Jul 09, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Bathing in Gold

I usually prefer water flow blurred smooth by a long shutter but here the texture created by the sharper rendition of the water makes the image more interesting. It communicates the violence and ruggedness of the water and the terrain better. The sky has some funky colors in places but it makes for more drama.

GNP is one of my favorite places in the world. If you got more images post em'! please!

Jul 09, 2013 at 11:26 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Bathing in Gold

Love how you captured this Jim. A favorite spot of mine for 10 years. Water is really roaring! Love the sun star too.

Jul 10, 2013 at 01:39 AM
Jfarmer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Bathing in Gold

Really like this one Jim. Can't wait to get up there myself.
Jon

Jul 10, 2013 at 04:23 AM
khilleg
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Bathing in Gold

Great shot from a capable camera in very capable hands. Awesome!

Kevin

Jul 10, 2013 at 07:24 AM
schlotz
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Bathing in Gold

Hey Jim, I see you are a avid practitioner of "don't forget to turn around and look behind you"
Excellent capture with great lighting and what can be a tricky exposure.

Matt

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Bathing in Gold

Jim, this is breathtaking, indeed!
Congratulations! The fruit of your labor!
I have been away from FM for a while and LOOK what I found!
Kee

Jul 10, 2013 at 01:29 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Bathing in Gold

Love the color in the water Jim. Great capture!

Jul 10, 2013 at 04:12 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Bathing in Gold

Great light!
Jim, I can't help thinking about the slow shutter: 1,2 seconds? You do have it, why don't you show it.
bob

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:09 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Bathing in Gold

nugeny wrote:
Great light!
Jim, I can't help thinking about the slow shutter: 1,2 seconds? You do have it, why don't you show it.
bob

because the faster shutter looks better...

Bob, I am holding out on the longer shutter speed look so that you will have to go up there and shoot it yourself with a longer shutter speed...

Jim

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Bathing in Gold

rhee wrote:
Jim, this is breathtaking, indeed!
Congratulations! The fruit of your labor!
I have been away from FM for a while and LOOK what I found!
Kee

Thanks so much Kee, I am glad I could help welcome you back with this little shot.

Jim

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:13 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Bathing in Gold

schlotz wrote:
Hey Jim, I see you are a avid practitioner of "don't forget to turn around and look behind you"
Excellent capture with great lighting and what can be a tricky exposure.

Matt

Thanks Matt, I appreciate that, and I am glad you liked the shot. Yes, I am a firm believer in having visions of what we want to capture, but right alongside that, I am just as firm of a believer in keeping our eyes open to the beauty around us. And while I was shooting, and I saw that golden color on the horizon to the one side of my pano shooting, my mind immediately began to ask the question as to where can shoot from where I can maximize that very cool gold in the sky... and it only took a second for me to realize that shooting the outlet of the lake on the bridge could have great potential, and off I went! Of fortunately that area was being bathed in gold!

The day before I had been off hiking in Many Glacier to the base of Swiftcurrent Pass, when I got back a little over an hour before sunset all of the clouds were to the south. I had burned a ton of calories with the hiking and had been thinking on eating in the restuarant there, but when I saw the clouds to the south, and then looked at the time, I realized that I had time to quickly make two jelly sandwiches instead and eat them as I drove down to the over view of Wild Goose Island which is about 45 minutes or so away. I got there with about 15 minutes to spare and got treated to a super cool sunset... one that it's been 3 days and I am still trying to get the right feel for that shot as I process it... I keep desaturating the clouds because they were so cool looking, they almost look unreal... So I am letting that one incubate...

I think as you hit on... one of the real keys to great landscape photography is one word.... Awareness.... Being aware of what is around us, and then not being afraid to chase after it, will reward many many more times than it will disappoint...

Jim

PS... man... I guess I better copy the text of this for when I post the Wild Goose Island shot... I already said it all...

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:24 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Bathing in Gold

Sneakyracer wrote:
I usually prefer water flow blurred smooth by a long shutter but here the texture created by the sharper rendition of the water makes the image more interesting. It communicates the violence and ruggedness of the water and the terrain better. The sky has some funky colors in places but it makes for more drama.

GNP is one of my favorite places in the world. If you got more images post em'! please!

Hey Ken,

Thanks so much! I am with you on the slower shutter speed for water... I would imagine most of my shots are that, with the milky water look... but in this case, and I am glad you agree, in this case the faster shutter speed really worked well to capture the turbulence of that water.

Jim

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:26 PM
Fo Tollery
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Bathing in Gold

Superb! I frequently tend to cringe a little when people put the sun that close to an image's edge, but it fits absolutely perfectly in this composition.

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:38 PM
dbehrens
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Bathing in Gold

You couldn't paint this any better! Definitely a winner. Dave

Jul 11, 2013 at 01:49 AM
Tor Flaata

p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Bathing in Gold

Great shot! Fantastic light. I checked your blog as well and I really enjoyed reading the post regarding this shot!

Cheers,

Tor Olav

Jul 11, 2013 at 07:03 AM
sierasong1
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Bathing in Gold

This is gorgeous Jim, makes me regret staying home and working. :-( Well done!!

Jul 11, 2013 at 01:33 PM
CDalessandro
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Bathing in Gold

Gorgeous Jim!! Being at the right place at right time and knowing what to do with it...Gorgeous!

Carolyn

Jul 11, 2013 at 02:10 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Bathing in Gold

Excellent Jim. Nice to see a faster shutter speed on a scene like this for a change!

Jul 11, 2013 at 08:01 PM
dakel
• •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Bathing in Gold

Spectacular shot. I also agree that the water looks great as is - dramatic and powerful. I do wonder if you could have framed the sun just a tad more to the right? Sounds like a very productive trip!

Jul 11, 2013 at 08:32 PM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password